RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Beauty Retouching Help

Old 08-31-2007, 12:14 PM

Thumbs up Re: Beauty Retouching Help

Ant you should post some on here I think your photography is really nice and the retouching is great. Most people would want to see it. I know you rub some people up the wrong way but you know your stuff, end of story!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2007, 06:50 PM

Re: Beauty Retouching Help

ANT,

Dude, it's plain to see to all of us (mostly) that you really, REALLY know your stuff. 'Mayday' is right your should post some more.

Retouching is fairly new to me. I have to do similar things but to cars, and whilst I am a long, long way off from achieving pro-standard work that doesn't stop me from trying or wanting to learn more from the professionals such as yourself.

Ignore the shit-kickers, if they think they can do better - let them prove it. Personally, I'd prefer not to rely on Actions to do my work for me, I want to learn the hard way, the old-skool way, because quite frankly it's usually the best way, tried and tested.

Ant, do me and the many others like myself a MASSIVE favour and create some Masterclasses. Run us through each stage you go through; from the original raw file; assessing what needs to be done etc, right through to each stage of retouching - explaining (for Dummies) the commands you use and why you use them. Sure it'd take a while to produce this masterclass, and sure it'd be one hell of a tome… but then again, it would be a tutorial we could ALL learn from Beginners and Pros.

Share a little and become a God.

N.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neillo View Post
ANT,

Dude, it's plain to see to all of us (mostly) that you really, REALLY know your stuff. 'Mayday' is right your should post some more.

Retouching is fairly new to me. I have to do similar things but to cars, and whilst I am a long, long way off from achieving pro-standard work that doesn't stop me from trying or wanting to learn more from the professionals such as yourself.

Ignore the shit-kickers, if they think they can do better - let them prove it. Personally, I'd prefer not to rely on Actions to do my work for me, I want to learn the hard way, the old-skool way, because quite frankly it's usually the best way, tried and tested.

Ant, do me and the many others like myself a MASSIVE favour and create some Masterclasses. Run us through each stage you go through; from the original raw file; assessing what needs to be done etc, right through to each stage of retouching - explaining (for Dummies) the commands you use and why you use them. Sure it'd take a while to produce this masterclass, and sure it'd be one hell of a tome… but then again, it would be a tutorial we could ALL learn from Beginners and Pros.

Share a little and become a God.

N.
This is in no way meant to be a reply on behalf of or in place of Ant. I suspect he's quite capable of both arriving at his own opinions, and expressing them.

But I gotta point out—good tutorials are all over the web. Masterclass level tutorials. I have no doubt that if Ant chose to do so, and had the ability to teach (not always a given) his would be right up there with the best. But it takes more than a tutorial, or two, or ten, and most of what it takes isn't about what you do. It's about screwing up enough jobs over enough time that you learn what doesn't work, and you stop wasting your time on those approaches. It's about picking option E when options A through H are all valid, and making E work, and not necessarily knowing why you chose it over the others. And choosing option B the next time and making that work as well. I'll repeat what I said earlier in this thread: there's no quick fix. Knowledge is part of it, but if that was all it took, everybody who read Katrin Eismann, Dan Margulis and Scott Kelby would be turning out high-end work.

Until you develop your internal eye, and learn to edit out the stuff that doesn't work, you will just be what you're asking to be in your post: an observer. And the only way to get there is to dare to screw up, again and again. It doesn't have to be under a deadline with a job riding on your results, though a screw up under those conditions is quite educational. But just do it, over and over. And don't be initimidated when someone tells you it's crap. If it's true, they did you a favor. If it's not, you'll learn when to ignore it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2007, 01:52 AM

I first started this retouch as a "somewhat boring just another skin retouch".

I probably (in fact I'm sure) did some things, which I shouldn't have, ...and now I have to pay for it, because those things now are hard to fix...and time consuming.
I didn't expect a high end retoucher was going to go over it, and put some comments on it. Now, that's where I initially went wrong on this retouch.

And if someone wants to take lessons from it, than I would say, even before you read any tutorial, or even before you start your retouch: "Always go for the best, how unimportant it may look like".

That's at least what I will remember.

Thanks for your comments Ant, and Edgework: congratualations with your previous words,... they are o so true.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beauty-retouched2.jpg (96.8 KB, 264 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2007, 07:15 AM

I know I've done allot better than this one, so I'm a bit disappointed about myself, just don't really liked the pic on some way, only a half H. worked on, and you can see that but just give it a try. Edgework Really beautiful retouch, great job on skin. also you're words are true!

the retouch link (pic. 50%)

the retouch link (pic. 100%)

Last edited by ruud92; 09-02-2007 at 06:19 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2007, 07:28 AM

Edge: Nice tips!!!

ANT: really nice work...

I'm trying and trying on this picture...hehe...the hair is a very nice challenge...

thanks for everyone who has shared their pictures...

RUUD: Nice!

gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2007, 01:56 PM

DONT EVER USE THE GAUSIAN BLUR TO FIX HAIR PROBLEMS!!!!
The best way to get rid off flaws like blackheads, poors, facial hair and zits.
  1. Use the noise and dust filter.
  2. make a new layer and use the brush to paint in a light haze of skin color over the top
  3. use difforent colors to shade and highlight the face.
  4. its ok to have a little bit of flaws showing so the photo looks real and not fake.
  5. learn about makeup. if you cant pute makeup on a woman or man in real life, then you will never be able to understand how to imitate makeup in photoshop.
  6. treat the photoshop tools as "makeup tools"not drawing tools. Use a soft brush to pute on blush. use the pencil tool to pute on mascara.

Its a mix of using all the tools you have to you. from the heal stamp to brushes, to the filters. I edited this example im posting of your image in an hour. Its no wear close to "magazine" quality. If you were a client and you gave me this image to edit. I would probably 5-8 hours working on it.

I wish i could go into details on everything i did. But then i would need to write a book. BUT DONT USE THE GAUSSISAN BLUR!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beauty_1hr-edit-1.jpg (98.5 KB, 278 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2007, 02:04 PM

Ruud, Not up to your usual standard but never mind, obviously you lack synchronicity with this one
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2007, 04:14 PM

I'm sorry, forgot to sharpen before post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beauty_retouched_1.jpg (97.1 KB, 137 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2007, 09:26 PM

just a newbie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beauty_newbie1.jpg (95.7 KB, 133 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching