RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Beauty Retouching Help

Old 09-02-2007, 06:21 AM

Re: Beauty Retouching Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
Ruud, Not up to your usual standard but never mind, obviously you lack synchronicity with this one
yeah, i just don't like the pic, thats also why i did only worked on it for a half hour, but I'm still a bit disappointed about the result of my retouching with this pic, maybe because i just don't liked it haha
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2007, 08:45 AM

Just thought ill post mine. Hope you like

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...ty_059copy.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2007, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgework View Post
Until you develop your internal eye, and learn to edit out the stuff that doesn't work, you will just be what you're asking to be in your post: an observer. And the only way to get there is to dare to screw up, again and again. It doesn't have to be under a deadline with a job riding on your results, though a screw up under those conditions is quite educational. But just do it, over and over. And don't be initimidated when someone tells you it's crap. If it's true, they did you a favor. If it's not, you'll learn when to ignore it.
Good point. Yes, you're right, the willingness to make mistakes and learn from them is a better lesson to learn than reading techniques from a book.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2007, 05:02 AM

Quote:
This is in no way meant to be a reply on behalf of or in place of Ant. I suspect he's quite capable of both arriving at his own opinions, and expressing them.

But I gotta point out—good tutorials are all over the web. Masterclass level tutorials. I have no doubt that if Ant chose to do so, and had the ability to teach (not always a given) his would be right up there with the best. But it takes more than a tutorial, or two, or ten, and most of what it takes isn't about what you do. It's about screwing up enough jobs over enough time that you learn what doesn't work, and you stop wasting your time on those approaches. It's about picking option E when options A through H are all valid, and making E work, and not necessarily knowing why you chose it over the others. And choosing option B the next time and making that work as well. I'll repeat what I said earlier in this thread: there's no quick fix. Knowledge is part of it, but if that was all it took, everybody who read Katrin Eismann, Dan Margulis and Scott Kelby would be turning out high-end work.

Until you develop your internal eye, and learn to edit out the stuff that doesn't work, you will just be what you're asking to be in your post: an observer. And the only way to get there is to dare to screw up, again and again. It doesn't have to be under a deadline with a job riding on your results, though a screw up under those conditions is quite educational. But just do it, over and over. And don't be initimidated when someone tells you it's crap. If it's true, they did you a favor. If it's not, you'll learn when to ignore it.

I dont think we can ask Ant to do tutorials, I guess he's too busy. Its just nice to see some of his test photography and the retouching he's done on that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
No one asked for your opinion....fault of the capture/small dynamic range/subjective. Additionally, you have no reference file (original) to base your blanket statements on. My file, I am not bothered by the hair and much was already removed.

who are you to judge anyway Action, Button Pusher Boy? Exactly why I've never posted anything for the peanut gallery here before - much akin to taking the rednecks to a wine tasting.

Lets not get too upset.
You are also very intimidating. He was just making an opinion, its a forum. I beleive that is what your supposed to do. If he what he says seems ignorant. Just ignore him.
There are too many ignorant people in the world to get upset with each one.[/

Last edited by Insensitive.; 09-03-2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Sorry, Spellcheck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo77 View Post
Hi Gregory, welcome to the site.

Usually I don't take those fine facial hairs out completely, just tone them down a bit (ie blurred layer on top, reduce opacity).

A couple of things I notice about your photo:

1) the odd pinkness on her lower eyelids - perhaps she's really like that, I don't know, but I'd probably un-pink them a bit.

2) The clumsy way your cyan background (in the jpeg) meets her skin - particularly at her temple and neck. Be careful to make sure that looks natural.

Actually, this photo raises a question I've pondered before. If you're shooting somebody at 3/4 angle, and you only have enough depth of field to make one eye sharp, not both, should it be the front eye or the back eye?

I would say the front eye is more important. You've managed the tear duct in one eye, and the eyebrow in the other. In my opinion, that's a bit of a drawback to the photo, but I'm keen to hear what others think.
he is asking for retouch methods not a critque on his photography! lol
and ill never understand why people think blurring is the solution. blurring SHOULD NEVER BE DONE. you never see a thick layer of blurred skin in any magazine. it looks horrible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2007, 09:13 PM

Ok...here's another go at this lady. Using a different technique this time around and I like the outcome better. Tried to tone down the reds also.

I'm looking for critiques here. This is my second time working on skin cleanup, and I'm trying to improve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 600x900_beauty_062.jpg (98.6 KB, 176 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Heck View Post
Ok...here's another go at this lady. Using a different technique this time around and I like the outcome better. Tried to tone down the reds also.

I'm looking for critiques here. This is my second time working on skin cleanup, and I'm trying to improve.
Buy a copy of Elle, Vogue or Glamour. Look at any cosmetic ad with a close-up of a face. Make a list of the things you notice that you have done differently. Work on those.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Buy a copy of Elle, Vogue or Glamour. Look at any cosmetic ad with a close-up of a face. Make a list of the things you notice that you have done differently. Work on those.
Love photos from this magazines. It is kinda my way).
My try.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2007, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
No one asked for your opinion....fault of the capture/small dynamic range/subjective. Additionally, you have no reference file (original) to base your blanket statements on. My file, I am not bothered by the hair and much was already removed.

who are you to judge anyway Action, Button Pusher Boy? Exactly why I've never posted anything for the peanut gallery here before - much akin to taking the rednecks to a wine tasting.
Doesn't matter how much talent a person has, this rudeness and arrogance overshadows it completely.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching