RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What to do with the sky

Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 PM

Re: What to do with the sky

Wow – That was fun

I guess my first problem was reducing the image size and saving the file as a JPEG. Sorry about that. Should I have saved it as a PSD file?

I appreciate the comments about the image looking flat. I think sometimes I’m afraid that I will over saturation and over sharpen my images. As I look at some of my earlier work I did that that a lot. I better re-visit this, as these modifications that everyone made look great.

Actually I liked all of the new images and I appreciate all of your comments.

Swampy, I will look at your tutorial on "Fixing a Blownout sky" In the tutorial forum. I have been working with your tutorial on Watercolors 1 and 2 this past weekend. Thanks for all the help you have given me.

Thanks to everyone for helping.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2007, 08:13 PM

Glad to be of help, Regez. I think you will find the simplicity of the Blownout Sky tutorial amazing, quick and effective. Those skies are the bane of digital photography, but my tutorial will make it very easy to fix them without having to make tedius selections.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Patron

Regez, that was fun! And thank you for the opportunity to (hopefully) be of help.

About file handling, you're pretty much stuck with posting jpeg files because of the 100K limit. Your file would have had jpeg artifacts in the sky no matter what. To get the best out of the situation, if you're using Photoshop, use Save>Save for Web. In that utility, resize to a width of 800 pixels and, under options (I think that's it . . .) pick Optimize to File Size and enter 100K. Then save. I've found that gives me about as good as I can get.

<C>
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2007, 07:31 AM

Too add one more item to Lurch's check list. There is a fly out menu in the upper right corner of the Save for Web preview window. Pop that out and select "Use Document Color Profile". This will help retain the actual colors of the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Patron

Quote:
. . .select "Use Document Color Profile"
Hey, Swampy, thanks! I'd missed that, and always grumbled because the colors weren't right.

<C>
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Edgework,

You said:

"Try this: Duplicate your background layer and place it directly above your masked foreground layer." Name it "Defringe"

Having trouble since its possible my reading comprehension is failing but could you re explain what you mean by "your (mine) masked foreground layer."

I tried your method but obviously I am doing something incorrectly. I could let this slide but your technique seem interesting and I don't think that I have ever come across it previously. I would appreciate another attempt by you to get this information across to me.

Thanks.

Last edited by albatrosss; 09-05-2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Left name out of person I want to read this
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2007, 01:36 PM

Swampy,

Forgot about your tutorial and when I tried it nothing could be easier. I have used this tutorial before on other images. As a matter of fact I have parts and pieces of your tutorial in my notebook. If I don't have a easy reference hard copy I'll forget I ever used it.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

George
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatrosss View Post
Edgework,

You said:

"Try this: Duplicate your background layer and place it directly above your masked foreground layer." Name it "Defringe"

Having trouble since its possible my reading comprehension is failing but could you re explain what you mean by "your (mine) masked foreground layer."

I tried your method but obviously I am doing something incorrectly. I could let this slide but your technique seem interesting and I don't think that I have ever come across it previously. I would appreciate another attempt by you to get this information across to me.

Thanks.
You have the trees and cliff masked out (I assume) in order that you can drop the sky behind it. The mask isn't tucking in to the edges of the trees tightly enough, giving you a fringe from the previous (lighter sky).

If instead you masked out your sky to fit it to the contours of your trees etc, no problem. Just invert the mask, apply it to your base layer and drop the (unmasked) sky layer behind it. The steps should work.

The idea is that you darken the lighter fringe with multiplied pixels from your new background, painting carefully so that your darkening effect is restricted only to those areas that need it.

It works the same way if the original background is darker than the new background. In that case, you just set the second background layer to screen, instead of multiply, to remove any dark fringe. This works well with hair in particular, since the most troublesome strands are kind of semitransparent and we expect them to take on the colors of the background.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2007, 01:49 PM

Fastest reply I ever got from anyone anywhere.

Will give it a try. It seems perfectly clear to my now.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2007, 04:54 PM

Thanks Lurch and Swampy. I was wondering how to save the files. Now on to my watercolors. Thats where I really need help.

Thanks again to everyone.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching