RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Best retouchers World has to offer?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:15 PM

Re: Best retouchers World has to offer?

Hello mac monkey,

I was thinking on starting to learn CGI my self but don't know where to start. there is so many software like maya, 3dmax, cinema 4d, modo.... which one would you recomand to start with? and if you have any good link's for tutorial for the software would be great! thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2008, 05:29 PM

Hi Zogdart,

I am starting with Modo myself. I had a crack at Maya about a year ago, but found it too much as the package is huge! Modo is exellent for modeling and rendering but not too great on animation which i am not to bothered about. I started off with a book called 'Luxology Modo Guide' by Dan Ablan which sort of eases you into the program and gets rather more interesting the further you get in. Give this website a try for useful tutorials:

http://www.vertexmonkey.com/tutorial...troduction.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac monkey View Post
pixel_monkey, your not the only one. I am at present trying to learn CGI myself to integrate it with my retouching skills. I think that the way things are going it will be a must in times to come.
3D is the way to go and I think all creative retouchers should get their hands on it. The learning curve might be high, but there had been many changes made to those programs and they're now more user friendly than they were 10 years or so ago. I remember it was pure nightmare when I first opened Maya back in the late 90s and there were limited learning resources available. I actually went to school and got my not so useful BFA in 3D animation before I turned into a retoucher. It does feel good to see more and more retouching houses are adapting 3D in their workflow. I'd better put my stuff together and jump on this bandwagon before this area in retouching becomes so ridiculously competitive like what's been happening in the 3D field.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_monkey View Post
3D is the way to go and I think all creative retouchers should get their hands on it.
there's probably more of a need for it on the east and west coast, but from what i have seen in my area there seems to be many more opportunities for retouchers with keyline skills as well as production artists...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2008, 06:27 PM

zogdart,
I'd suggest either Maya or 3DMax if you want the full package. They're pretty much the leaders in the industry like Photoshop in the 2D imaging world. Although I'd lean toward Maya since I'm a user. There are also a bunch very nice small programs that do amazing things, such as ZBrush and Realflow that also integrate very well with Maya.
Here are a couple of sites that offer all the learning materials you need for highend 3D programs:

http://thegnomonworkshop.com/

http://www.digitaltutors.com/

This one is strictly for Maya:

http://www.simplymaya.com

Here are a few community based sites that you can read all about 3D:

http://www.highend3d.com

http://www.cgtalk.com

http://www.3dbuzz.com

Have fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
there's probably more of a need for it on the east and west coast, but from what i have seen in my area there seems to be many more opportunities for retouchers with keyline skills as well as production artists...
Definitely, there will always be jobs for highend beauty/fashion and production retouchers. If you want something done that camera can't capture or just too expensive to produce, then you need 3D artists/retouchers with those specific skills to come in. Car companies, at least Chrysler has gotten rid of their on location photography. They just render out the cars in 3D at every angle imaginable and composite them in any background they want for their print outputs without worrying about locations, re-shoots, or anything in that matter.
Of course, all the latest stuff in digital technology always tends to happen in the big cities. Many 3D commercials we see on TV, especially those crazy 3D car commercials are done by a very small group of people in LA and some of them are my college friends. It's amazing when they see those commercials on TV they'll be able to tell you which company worked on which or the specific 3D artists if they weren't involved with the commercials. LA is huge for this kind of work just like NYC is huge for highend retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2008, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_monkey View Post
Car companies, at least Chrysler has gotten rid of their on location photography. They just render out the cars in 3D at every angle imaginable and composite them in any background they want for their print outputs without worrying about locations, re-shoots, or anything in that matter.
Absolutely Pixel_monkey. I was recently working with a photographer called Nick Meek on a Landrover campaign who says he can't wait for all car retouching to go this way. It saves a hell of a lot of time and effort trying to get the car on Location and in the right position. You also have the car in any angle the creative/art director needs. I must say, I would have thought most photographers would be against CGI as to protect their own interests.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2008, 01:02 PM

Thank's for those link pixel monkey,
thank's to you too mac monkey.

From what i Gather the car photographers now needs to become landscape photographer. since there is no car to shoot your just need to provide the scenery or and the element of it, to the retouching team!

what do you guy's think of cinema 4d?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2008, 01:06 PM

Oh I forgot,

I have a good link for you guy's, i don't think it was mention before

Good retoucher, good in 3d.... Wish i could do it all !!!! =;+)

http://www.saddingtonbaynes.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-02-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogdart View Post
Oh I forgot,

I have a good link for you guy's, i don't think it was mention before

Good retoucher, good in 3d.... Wish i could do it all !!!! =;+)

http://www.saddingtonbaynes.com/
Yes they are pretty good zogdart, but they only have one style of retouching unlike TaylorJames, who are probably one of our main competiters in terms of 3D.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching