RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Best retouchers World has to offer?

Old 09-11-2007, 08:37 AM

Re: Best retouchers World has to offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaught View Post
Much Appreciated

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2007, 04:10 PM

I love Amy Dresser. She was the first retoucher I heard about. When I started doing photomanipulations I looked at her as an idol. I felt her works are magic. ^^
There are other so talented retouchers I've seen since then, but she is my favourite.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaught View Post
He is so talented. It's amazing the way he understands light and objects.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2007, 05:25 PM

I don't know who the best retouchers are, but I did have a video of a retoucher working on photos of Cindy Crawford, for the cover of Cosmo, I think shot by the late, great Scavullo. This was back in the Scitex days and the operator was working from a printer's proof where the art director redlined everything to fix, although the image and lighting were great out of the camera. The files were sent to the retouching house located in Tenn from NYC

The bill for the retouching was $20,000 and some change. And this was in the late 80's or 90's!! Of course model Cindy Crawford splashed on any mag cover then was sure to sell more issues and I heard that particular issue set some record sales for HG Brown

steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB2005 View Post
I don't know who the best retouchers are, but I did have a video of a retoucher working on photos of Cindy Crawford, for the cover of Cosmo, I think shot by the late, great Scavullo. This was back in the Scitex days and the operator was working from a printer's proof where the art director redlined everything to fix, although the image and lighting were great out of the camera. The files were sent to the retouching house located in Tenn from NYC

The bill for the retouching was $20,000 and some change. And this was in the late 80's or 90's!! Of course model Cindy Crawford splashed on any mag cover then was sure to sell more issues and I heard that particular issue set some record sales for HG Brown

steve
I read some article a long ago stating that Pascal charges $20,000 for a cover and $500 for an inside page. I wonder who else charges this much, or is this the general price for the big retouching houses?

Edit: Here's the article: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...540121180.html

Last edited by pixel_monkey; 09-13-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 10:36 AM

add Jeff Schewe to that list as well, but i think he's focused his attention to his photography lately...

http://www.schewephoto.com/portfolio.html

http://www.adobe.com/jp/print/galler...we/image1.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_monkey View Post
I read some article a long ago stating that Pascal charges $20,000 for a cover and $500 for an inside page. I wonder who else charges this much, or is this the general price for the big retouching houses?

Edit: Here's the article: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...540121180.html
Pixel, thanks for the Pascal link and I read the article. Very informative and interesting. He works or heads up Box Bros studio or something like that in NYC, with a staff of about 40, but I can't find any web site link. His studio must have a site, don't you think, or maybe I just missed a link somehow, anyway, would really like to check out Pascal's site.

I have a client I do some retouching and other stuff for who is a photography student and she told me some of the big players who come to the school for events and such are quite secretive when asked specific questions about their "secret workflow." Like pulling diamonds out of a sand dune in Death Valley.

Although this has been stated before, I rarely see any high end catalog or fashion magazine that has a credit under the photographer's copyright that also lists, "retouched by mr or miss so and so." Retouchers never seem to get the credit they deserve and my saying is, "behind every busy pro photographer, there is a retoucher lurking in the background to make the best images better."
steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 PM

Pascal owns The Box and they don't have a web site.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Pixel, thanks for the Pascal link and I read the article. Very informative and interesting. He works or heads up Box Bros studio or something like that in NYC, with a staff of about 40, but I can't find any web site link. His studio must have a site, don't you think, or maybe I just missed a link somehow, anyway, would really like to check out Pascal's site.
To the best of my knowledge, I don't think or recall that Box has a site. Maybe they're just too good to have a site. The people that need their services are the ones that already know what they're doing and are willing to pay the big bucks.

Quote:
Like pulling diamonds out of a sand dune in Death Valley.
I somehow find this line quite amusing. Maybe I do know quite a bit about that place. There are a lot of reasons why people that are very secretive about what they know. Rather those reasons are business or personal, I really don't have a clue. There was an individual at the last place I worked that was very reserved in sharing techniques because this individual wanted to retain that edge over others. I personally don't mind sharing what I know with my co-workers. It doesn't matter what I share with them, because knowing how to do it and doing it good are 2 different things. It won't make much of a different if they don't spend the time to practice. If they're committed, they'll know it sooner or later, and I'm just there to pave the road.

Quote:
Although this has been stated before, I rarely see any high end catalog or fashion magazine that has a credit under the photographer's copyright that also lists, "retouched by mr or miss so and so." Retouchers never seem to get the credit they deserve and my saying is, "behind every busy pro photographer, there is a retoucher lurking in the background to make the best images better."
steve
In certain dictionary, "retoucher" is not even in it while "retouch" and "retouching" are. The word "retoucher" is actually unrecognizable if you typed it in email programs with spell check on or in Microsoft Word. I had a fun time filing freelance tax as a retoucher with the accountant.
It doesn't matter how much work that we do to improve the image that we feel that we should be credited. In the end, it's about the photographer's vision even though he or she is unable to achieve that vision without the help of a retoucher.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_monkey View Post
To the best of my knowledge, I don't think or recall that Box has a site. Maybe they're just too good to have a site. The people that need their services are the ones that already know what they're doing and are willing to pay the big bucks.

I somehow find this line quite amusing. Maybe I do know quite a bit about that place. There are a lot of reasons why people that are very secretive about what they know. Rather those reasons are business or personal, I really don't have a clue. There was an individual at the last place I worked that was very reserved in sharing techniques because this individual wanted to retain that edge over others. I personally don't mind sharing what I know with my co-workers. It doesn't matter what I share with them, because knowing how to do it and doing it good are 2 different things. It won't make much of a different if they don't spend the time to practice. If they're committed, they'll know it sooner or later, and I'm just there to pave the road.

In certain dictionary, "retoucher" is not even in it while "retouch" and "retouching" are. The word "retoucher" is actually unrecognizable if you typed it in email programs with spell check on or in Microsoft Word. I had a fun time filing freelance tax as a retoucher with the accountant.
It doesn't matter how much work that we do to improve the image that we feel that we should be credited. In the end, it's about the photographer's vision even though he or she is unable to achieve that vision without the help of a retoucher.
Well, I guess if a retouching house is so well known and doesn't even need to advertise on a website, they must be doing something right and word of mouth and reputation are enough to spread the word around.

I also tried to find out if the famous Vogue fashion photographer Steven Meisel had a site, because I am really inspired by his work, and so far, no link to his site, or I can't find it. Now, I have heard that Meisel is a very mysterious cat, who doesn't crave publicity and is quite secretive about everything, hell, I don't know if he had ever been interviewed by any of the photo mags. Again he is so well known in the industry, maybe he doesn't need one either, just like our "pal" Pascal.

steve
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching