RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Best retouchers World has to offer?

Old 09-17-2007, 10:23 PM

Re: Best retouchers World has to offer?

http://www.pascalandreimaging.com/index.htm or try
http://www.pascalandrephotography.com/flash2.htm
another good retoucher would be Amy Dresser, Lee Varis, Brian Dilg, Greg Apodaca, Kevin Ames, Katrin Eismann, & Suzette Touch-Strapp (GitterGuru). Just to name a few like it was said before there are a lot of unknowns and retouching companies as well.
Mary Alice
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 10:27 PM

You might try this link to look at some of Steve Meisal work and info.
http://www.artandcommerce.com/AAC/C....L5=2U1XC5J9EDA
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawasden72 View Post
http://www.pascalandreimaging.com/index.htm or try
http://www.pascalandrephotography.com/flash2.htm
another good retoucher would be Amy Dresser, Lee Varis, Brian Dilg, Greg Apodaca, Kevin Ames, Katrin Eismann, & Suzette Touch-Strapp (GitterGuru). Just to name a few like it was said before there are a lot of unknowns and retouching companies as well.
Mary Alice
Interesting link to another Pascal, but the one we are mainly referring to is the Box Studio in NYC, Pascal Dangin, the head man. And yes, I am aware of most of the other names you mentioned, who are tops in the field as well.

As far as the most secrets "revealing" retoucher, would have to be Katrin E, because of the several retouching books she has published. I have the first one, which I refer to all the time. It has "bailed" me out from time to time.

The fraternity/sorority of retouchers is a small club, to say the least

steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 11:14 PM

Steve Meisel is a photographer only. He does not do retouching.
Greg Apodaca is a butcher. Sorry I don't like to criticize anyone but his stuff is way overdone. Do a search on the web and there are a lot who feel that way, His style was great at a certain time once.
I love Suzettes work, but she is primarily a photographer who knows how to shoot to minimize what needs to be done post.
Kevin Ames is also a photgrapher.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
Steve Meisel is a photographer only. He does not do retouching.
Greg Apodaca is a butcher. Sorry I don't like to criticize anyone but his stuff is way overdone. Do a search on the web and there are a lot who feel that way, His style was great at a certain time once.
I love Suzettes work, but she is primarily a photographer who knows how to shoot to minimize what needs to be done post.
Kevin Ames is also a photgrapher.
Yes, I read that article about Pascal and it was mentioned that he handles Steven Meisel's retouching. Never heard of Apodaca, so I'll check him out.

I have seen many hi-rez drum scans of mainly female models from great photographers, mainly 35mm and med format and IRIS prints in a large pre-press house. Some photos needed a lot of retouching, others, not so much. What is a bit comical though is people will say, "you mean those girls don't really look like that in person with perfect smooth skin, no break-outs, blemishes"? Seeing some of the images right out of the camera is quite a revelation

steve
No sorry guys, they have to go to the retouchers to capture the "look."
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
- yes there are a lot of unknowns and most of them a lot better than many of the members on that particular list.

In defense of Greg Apodaca - he is technically very knowledgable, knows the software at a very deep level, and also very giving in terms of technique. Regardless of what people feel about some of the result.

Last edited by Markzebra; 10-05-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2007, 03:08 PM

There are a bunch of us that handle Steve's retouching. Pascal gets some, I used to , there is another company that the name eludes me in NYC that does a LOT of his work.

The thing is with a lot of these great Photographers is that they use different retouchers for different looks and feels. The same retouchers for all of the jobs can be very detrimental to what a Photographer is trying to achieve.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
There are a bunch of us that handle Steve's retouching. Pascal gets some, I used to , there is another company that the name eludes me in NYC that does a LOT of his work.

The thing is with a lot of these great Photographers is that they use different retouchers for different looks and feels. The same retouchers for all of the jobs can be very detrimental to what a Photographer is trying to achieve.

Chris
Whoa Chris, I am impressed that you work with one of my favorite fashion shooters Steven Meisel. I am not sure what that dude looks like, but I think I might have seen a picture of him taken with Madonna. I guess he did a shoot with her sometime back. He seems to keep a low profile, shys away from publicity

Well then, here is a question for ya. Does Steven shoot totally med format digital for Vogue and 35mm digital or does he still use film and have it scanned? He, Helmut Newton, and Scavullo and of course Avedon are some of my fav fashion photographers and I have learned a lot studying their style. Now Avedon and Scavullo have had several books published, not sure if Meisel has had any.

Does he ever have master classes and I assume he lives and works in NYC, right?

Thanks
steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2007, 03:36 PM

there is another company that the name eludes me in NYC that does a LOT of his work.

Nucleus?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2007, 03:44 PM

Steve, All the great photographers are here (and LA, London, Paris). If you are a working high end retoucher in NYC or at least the tri-state area you work on Steve's work, on LaChapelle, Thompson, you name it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching