RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Best retouchers World has to offer?

Old 10-04-2007, 09:56 AM

Re: Best retouchers World has to offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
yup, but i have yet to get past the rip with this kind of file...
Pixel, I just caught this thread. Have you tried assembling your job in Quark or InDesign and then RIP? Or have you already tried that? Could it be embedded in a pdf and see if that would work? It seems like there must be a workaround

I'll run this by my pre-press pal, who has seen it all and made the impossible happen with this type of job. He has seen a corrupted font choke and shut down the whole RIP/ImageSetter, problems with various versions of Quark and Illustrator, that's why he gets paid the big bucks, to solve these problems that can make one tear their hair out

Keep us posted steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 AM

Modern RIP's have moved on, its better now. Not involved in Production any more but someone told me it partly depends on which version of Postscript they use

Last edited by Markzebra; 10-04-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB2005 View Post
Pixel, I just caught this thread. Have you tried assembling your job in Quark or InDesign and then RIP? Or have you already tried that? Could it be embedded in a pdf and see if that would work? It seems like there must be a workaround

I'll run this by my pre-press pal, who has seen it all and made the impossible happen with this type of job. He has seen a corrupted font choke and shut down the whole RIP/ImageSetter, problems with various versions of Quark and Illustrator, that's why he gets paid the big bucks, to solve these problems that can make one tear their hair out

Keep us posted steve
i havn't tried it for a few years, it might be possible these days with a pdf workflow.......it's not something that can be assembled in a layout application because of the interaction between the soft mask and the vector element......this goes back a away, but it primarily came about due to the "rivalry" between the mac desktop department and the guys on the Crosfield systems, the one huge advantage of the Crosfied systems was the ability to combine vector and bitmap with a soft mask and the retoucher and page assembler could pass the file back and forth with ease....so, ever since postcript 3 came out, i have been trying to reproduce such a file without any luck...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 11:28 AM

Do the composite in InDesign. Place your base image in InDesign. Place your vector art in InDesign then save a transparent (masked out) PSD file of JUST the elements you want to be over the vector art . Duplicate your base image and move to the front so it covers the vector art. With the foreground image selected choose "re-link" and select the transparent (masked out) version of the image. As long as you have not altered the canvas size of the Raster images when you re link InDesign will maintain the X, Y coordinanats and they will line up flawlessley. InDesign's ability to handle transparencies created by photoshop is as flawless as Photoshops. And InDesign will suport a soft mask. Quark can utilize an alpha channel as a mask but it is horrible.

So you are basically sandwiching the vector art between 2 layers of the same artwork although the top layer has been masked.

Export as PDF X1a and you will have no worries with RIP. If your vector art is a spot color use PDF X4 because X1a will not support transparencies and spot colors.

Hope it helps. If you need further explaination or would like me to to one for you and upload a sample I would be happy to do so.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 11:44 AM

illustrator supports transparencies as well, and can export the same pdf settings.

when we do our complicated die-cuts, we do the mechanicals in illustrator, and the masked .psd is usually placed on a designated layer, named appropriately. usually use this method for touch plates with transparencies and masks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 11:45 AM

i will have to try that out, the place i am at now doesn't have a RIP so it'll be a while before i can actually test it...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaught View Post

Export as PDF X1a and you will have no worries with RIP. If your vector art is a spot color use PDF X4 because X1a will not support transparencies and spot colors.

Hope it helps. If you need further explaination or would like me to to one for you and upload a sample I would be happy to do so.
can't i just export as a pdf from photoshop?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 11:50 AM

Correct, Illustrator does support the same transparencies and has the same limitations on Spot colors in combination with transparencies. It is just a little more cluncky or cumbersome than InDesign and while Illustrator is a fantastic tool and one I use quite a bit, it is not the right tool for this application even though it "can" produce the same results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
can't i just export as a pdf from photoshop?
I have not tried that. I guess in theory it would work but I can only give you what I have actually had results with.

I do know that Photoshop is a raster art tool with limited vector capabilities, Illustrator is a vector art tool with limited raster capabilities and InDesign is a layout tool meant to utilize and call upon both raster and vector art and output press ready documents.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2007, 11:58 AM

lately, a lot of these small town vendors, (client vendors) that we have to use can't even handle the DCS files that we normally output. they ask us to just place each color on it's own layer, named "spot white plate" for example, in grayscale. guess it's easier for them.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching