RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin Retouch - inspired by GodMother's video

Old 09-11-2007, 10:39 AM

Re: Skin Retouch - inspired by GodMother's video

I do know what you mean but tactless comments (meant or not) via the anonymity of the internet still dig, especially when one is trying so hard to learn.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 10:39 AM

my workflow on this one....

Duplicate background
Created a new layer for healing
Healed all the major blemishes, pimples, etc
Did some de-grunging
Started dodging and burning with curves layers (about 15 of em)
Desaturate adjustment layer
Selective color to bring down the yellows and reds

this was my first attempt at degrunging and dodge and burn so I'm still trying to get the hang of all the tweaks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziaphra View Post
I do know what you mean but tactless comments (meant or not) via the anonymity of the internet still dig, especially when one is trying so hard to learn.
Who made you the Polite Police? stfu already.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 AM

try the image again, this time using the same workflow, but excluding the degrunge step, and using only 2 curves for D&B. keep them in a folder, often, especially when starting out, your d&b'ing will be very heavy, you can bring the opacity of you d&b folder down a bit to like 70%, will bring back some natural look.

*use your desat layer to bring down the reds & yellows, no need for selective layer.

if you like to build some color back up, add a curve set to color mode to introduce some color back into the skin if it starts looking too desat. and flat. just watch out it doesn't look to monotone.

Last edited by KR1156; 09-11-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Who made you the Polite Police? stfu already.
..and you're another one...you are a talented but petty small minded person. Such a shame.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 AM

ziaphra, we're just trying to help this person, maybe they aspire to be hi-end.

getting feedback from guys like ant is about as close as you're gonna get to working under the wing of someone at a hiend retouching house, over the internet.

honest criticism is way better for them than sugarcoating anything and saying way to go champ.

it really helped me a lot, maybe i just have thicker skin. but we were all at that point at sometime.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1156 View Post

i'd rather have no retouching on my images than bad retouching.)
Ziaphra

This is actually a pretty common statement in the industry, coming from both Photographers and instructors. It is not meant to be derogatory in any way. Although there are a few people that have managed to use it in a most destructful way.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziaphra View Post
This website is called "RetouchPro," not "Retouch Hobbyist" or "Photoshop for Fun." If the name means anything, it's necessary to stop pretending that sloppy work gets a pass. Good intentions mean nothing and tender feelings belong in a playpen.

In my other life I was and am a student and writer of poetry. A teacher long ago set the context for everything I've tried to do subsequently: he said "If you want to be taken seriously, and you want to take yourself seriously, face the grim fact that you're not competing with your classmates, or poets in magazines, or even the poets in this anthology. You're competing with Shakespeare. That's the bar that's been set, and if that's not the standard you aspire to, do something else." No less true for the creative efforts here.

mrbeagle, good for you, putting your work out there for all to see. And, it would appear, for listening. You seem to recognize that trying isn't enough. Actually, "trying" is just a P.C. way to avoid saying "failure." The only thing that counts is doing it right, and if it doesn't make the cut, there's no amount of spin that will compensate. And the only way to do it right is to spend a lot of time doing it wrong and learning to avoid whatever things you tried that made it wrong.

It's not about how you feel about your efforts, or about how anyone else feels either. It's about the image. And when you learn to look at an image you've just spent ten hours slaving over, and can deliver the same cold assessment that KR1156 gave, then you'll be about halfway there.

In another thread, Ant offered a marked up critique of someone's efforts. It wasn't blunt, or cruel, it was accurate. If one of the art directors I work for saw your image, it would come back with numerous red marks on the overlay (we call them "Slasher Shots"). Why don't you beat everyone to it, and provide your own markup. Be a real a__hole about it too. Have no pity or consideration for the retoucher's feelings. In fact, try to crush the poor sap's spirit. When your reflex to complain about your own work exceeds your instinct to defend it, you will improve dramatically.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 03:57 PM

It’s never easy to swallow when you think that you’ve created a masterpiece and someone comes along and points out all the faults that you need to improve upon. It might sound absurd, but a good part of the learning process of being an artist is to learn how to handle criticisms. I’d rather have my work critiqued, and perhaps, ripped apart by an industry professional than getting a pat on the shoulder by my family and friends. Your skills will eventually stop improving if there’s no one there to challenge you and you will fall behind.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2007, 04:12 PM

i get my work crit. on a daily basis, by very hi-end and veteran retouchers, and i love it and appreciate that they take the time.

i've learned a ton in the last year. invaluable info. from these critiques.

as long as the criticism is constructive, appreciate it.

for me personally, i think the most challenging part, or area i find most difficult, is color. I've worken on some amazing photography lately, and just when i think i did great, i get areas pointed out where the color is suspect. but that's what is making me better every image.

plus, i put in a ton of time practicing all night long on hirez images, and it finally paid off.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching