RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin Retouch - inspired by GodMother's video

Old 09-17-2007, 05:21 AM

Re: Skin Retouch - inspired by GodMother's video

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB View Post
I think you could just let a lit bit of her overseer appearing....

But the whole thing is pretty good
I like it!

=)
The problem with a "pretty good" job is that the stuff that's left (that oh-so-crucial 5% that separates "pretty good" from "perfect") stands out all the more, all those things that the eye is drawn to, that you don't want calling attention to themselves.

The diagonal artifact along the top her nose is the most serious and blinds all to the nicely done cheeks and forehead. It's the first thing you see, and after that the game simply becomes a contest to find what else has been missed.

The shadow along her right eye has way too much going on. Needs to be simplified. There are actually four different levels of shadow there, forming an interesting little design in themselves, but not one you want competing with the work you've done.

That dark spot at the tip of her notril will attract a red pen like flies to dead meat. The shadow area under her nose is a little too obvious, also.

There are some irregularities along the top of her lip.

I see some stripes under her bottom lip.

As for the overall smoothing, I think it's gone too far. The comment that usually accompanies a shot like this is "Knock back" rather than "Remove," or "Smooth." Sometimes a sharp edge is there because it defines a shape. It's important to know what to keep, as well as what to remove.

That harsh shadow along the right side of her nose and mouth is there because her face has an actual contour that has been lost in your version. The problem is as much one of lighting as it is of wrinkles and irregular surfaces. Even though you want to compensate for the lighting, you want to keep a sense of that original shape. Likewise the stuff going on under her eyes.

One thing I like to do (at a step early on in the retouch process) is to simply obliterate everything with the healing brush, then pop the original wrinkles and shadows on top of the retouched layer and blend them in at a greatly reduced opacity. it's always a judgment call as to what goes, what simply gets reduced, what gets blended.

For example, there is a stray wrinkle beside her nose branching off from the main shadow. Clearly, that should go. Likewise the overly complicated edge of the shadow at the corner of her mouth. "Simplify" is the term usually used. As for the wrinkle/dimple on her cheek; it should definitely be knocked back, but an equal case can be made for doing it your way.

Overall, I think there is a much more interesting shape to her cheek in the original, imperfections notwithstanding. The muting of both highlight and shadows has lost that. It's gone flat, not just in terms of color and value, but in the actual Z-axis, the dimensionality of it. In the original, her cheek actually curves out towards the viewer. Those are some high-end cheekbones in there! You've kept some of that shape, and done a decent job of smoothing (though I'm seeing more texture in the original, albeit irregular texture) but, as I said before, I just think you've gone too far.

Good effort.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
The problem with a "pretty good" job is that the stuff that's left (that oh-so-crucial 5% that separates "pretty good" from "perfect") stands out all the more, all those things that the eye is drawn to, that you don't want calling attention to themselves.
I see your point edge, aim always for the perfect! I'm learning that
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 12:24 PM

ok, been reading aaall posts from shellby byro chris godmother etc etc. i collected aaaall posts about skin retouch..i guess..So i came back on this image (first version didnt satisfy me) ..sorry for those who got tired of seeing it.

tell me what it lacks, what i forgot. (anatomy, contrast, technique whatever..)
and what u think of the photo too (centering/crop/lighting/composition..)

3 versions : original, retouched, and detailed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ori.jpg (96.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg retouched1.jpg (91.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg detailed.jpg (89.5 KB, 95 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 12:36 PM

there's just something about that bulging eyeball. (present in the original)

-if you try to reduce the size of the eye, it will not match up with the left one, and look totally fake. Maybe if you match the white parts of both eyes to a relatively close density, the right eye won't stand out so much.

just a suggestion.

**if you care about this shot, and really want to clean it up, try getting rid of these strays, it will make the image look cleaner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cl.jpg (77.2 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by KR1156; 09-17-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 01:27 PM

the hair is what I see as an immediate thing here...when you get that under control the "framing" of the face would be calmer...IMO...

gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Edgework: Thank you so much...I'm working on a new part of the face...the shadow and the color...so if you would be ready for a new edititon within 24 hours I would be happy

CHeers

gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 04:17 PM

Don't take all of the strays out. And you need to fix the broken hilite in the forehead.

Not bad
Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 04:38 PM

Thumbs up Re: Skin Retouch - inspired by GodMother's video

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_monkey View Post
It’s never easy to swallow when you think that you’ve created a masterpiece and someone comes along and points out all the faults that you need to improve upon. It might sound absurd, but a good part of the learning process of being an artist is to learn how to handle criticisms. I’d rather have my work critiqued, and perhaps, ripped apart by an industry professional than getting a pat on the shoulder by my family and friends. Your skills will eventually stop improving if there’s no one there to challenge you and you will fall behind.
Yes I think that's true, no matter how much the sting feels, when our work is critiqued by a industry pro. The work might be torn to bits by a working pro, but that might be a new beginning for the "up and comer."

We may show our latest work to our friends and they say, "oh, how nice, you do such fine work, keep at it." But take your book to LA or NYC, pound the pavement, and if you even get a 5 minute meeting with a top AD or photo editor in a retouching house, you'll know real fast if the look is pro level enough to get a job.

But I do believe in constructive criticism from reliable sources, someone who inspires and might give you a tip or 2 for things to fix and watch out for. I got a real master photographer in LA that gave me an hour meeting and critiqued my work. He showed me what he liked, what he didn't and what to look out for. Since that meeting, I literally changed everything and every way I shoot. And he was right about it all. After I look back on what I did then and what I have done since, I took a totally different path in lighting, retouching, everything in my workflow.He gave me some time and it meant a lot he would even to take the time to meet a complete unknown stranger like me, but what guidance he gave me.

Then again, it's best to be a bit discerning who we ask and if we respect their opinion and if they are putting your work down just to be mean and see what guts you have and if what they say is enough to discourage you from even moving forward. I don't mean you personally, all of us though.

I think the forum here is a good place to get some feedback on the work and tips to improve, experiment, and see what others might see that we don't.

JM2$ steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 04:53 PM

here we go again....a new edition from the last retouch I got...Thanks so much from EDGEWORK that came with good pointer for me to follow...I feel I have covered all his point to some degree here...any suggestions?

the picture you see here now is the last retouch and the totally new retouch! please read edgeworks pointers earlier in this thread to to see what it's all about...

cheers

Gerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dame-med-dobb2.jpg (98.6 KB, 105 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
Don't take all of the strays out. And you need to fix the broken hilite in the forehead.

Not bad
Chris
thank you all for the comments. ill work on the bulging eye and strays.
chris u mean the broken shape of the highlight ?(ie not round shaped)
im worried im having trouble spoting it out :-/

what u guys think of the sharpening ? i did a high pass on eyes/mouth /brows/hair.
still wondering if i should do an unsharp mask. im missing something there...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching