RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Porsche Carerra GT Retouch WIP

Old 09-14-2007, 09:28 PM

Porsche Carerra GT Retouch WIP

Hello,

I am in the middle (well almost middle lol) of my retouch and am having some conflicting results with my monitors, both calibrated with color eyes and an eye-one2 but neither are that great. Lots of banding and swirls in the gradients (to be expected on these displays) but my macbook pro shows some defects that my acer doesn't (gamut limitations i think) Mostly where the edge of the rear scoop is (by door) and the across middle of the front fender..not nearly as bad when converted to srgb. These where made to "paint" over the nasty pavement reflections and fade into the rest...might have to work on the fade or bump up the color to match better on the mbp.

Anyway if you could tell me if the artifacts are showing up on your monitor I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Adam B

http://web.mac.com/adambrodzinski/fi...rra_before.jpg
http://web.mac.com/adambrodzinski/fi...erra_after.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2007, 09:32 PM

Re: Porsche Carerra GT Retouch WIP

Oh forgot to add , feel free to C&C just remember im not done yet, I attached one with my notes on it of most of the stuff to be done yet.

Carerra_notes.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2007, 10:03 PM

Everything looks good so far, not too sure when you shot the photo if you had planned on removing the background afterwards, but if so, you could use a large piece of black cloth pulled tight on the ground to avoid the reflections, easy to do and saves a lot of time in post. Also your shadow needs some work, maybe extend the canvas a fraction in photoshop, then use the shape of the original shadow? You may also want to color balance the chrome parts/windows of the car, they are still quite blueish due to the car being shot in daylight.

Keep up the good work on the edit and look forward to seeing a finished version.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2007, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the tip MacBurg much appriciated! i'll have to try that next time. I wish I would have shot it though, i'm working with a 1280x960 compressed to a whopping 280kb! I would love to have a 39mp hassey files Its so hard finding good un-retouched car photo's that are not copyrighted. My next one is a studio lit car...should be much faster.

Will have to make a note on the chrome white balance, not quite there yet.

Yes the shaddow is really bothering me, after looking at it awile I think it needs to be more dense and tight to the car, more like the original.

Does the windshield replacment look ok or do I need to do more work on that?...looks like its being lit by a large softbox, dunno if thats a good thing or not.

Thanks again!

Last edited by AdamZx3; 09-14-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2007, 11:15 PM

The windscreen doesn't look too bad, in the original image you can see a small part of the dash and some rubber trim running up the side, maybe include these details but darken them a few notches?

It's a shame your working with such a small file, really makes a difference to have the original pixels to work with.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2007, 03:49 AM

Your work is going very well.
I have a little suggestion - with new background tires are looking like stay in air. Check in original how they are.
Increasing the canvas (as mentioned before) is good idea.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2007, 10:52 AM

Thanks guys,

I'll add the dash (forgot all abut that!) and will change the tires, after I extracted it I added more tire on the bottom to round it out, makes sense that it should still be like the original since the tires won't be perfectly round with weight on them, well as added some more density to the shaddow by the wheel to "ground" it a little more.

gotta love critiques This is my first car retouch, been practicing retouching for about a month now (and reading lots of books and forum posts!) Though i've used photoshop for a year for graphic design in college, I really like retouching better though. I find the hardest part is seeing what to fix, not how to fix it.

Last edited by AdamZx3; 09-15-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching