RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Hello! My introduction here...

Old 09-21-2007, 04:22 PM

Re: Hello! My introduction here...

edge: Thanks for replying and giving me this tip! what you wrote here made me go whaaat?? But when I tried it i was like WOOOW! Big difference! thanks!

A couple of questions i sit with no is:

When changing from RGB to CMYK can I change it back to rgb without loosing my new curves effect?

And when changing this from rgb to cmyk and/or back again will I destroy elements within the picture?
Since I need to flatten the image to convert to CMYK I'm left with a flattened picture with no layers...

cheers

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2007, 04:37 PM

Andre, I like what you've done so far. The idea of "less is more" is always favorable in retouching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkoax View Post
Adam: Miss my Eizo! gave it away to my little brother! That screen was very good! So Eizo is the thing to use when retouching!?
gerry
Gerry, I'd never trust any monitor coming straight out of the box and do color work with it without having it properly calibrated. I use Pantone Eye-One Display 2 to do that job, but I believe that they discontinued this product and replaced it with Huey Pro and it's only half the price. As for monitors, I still prefer CRT over flat panel. I just can't get the true black out of the flat panel ones that I've come across. Maybe the top of the line flat panel monitors nowadays offer superior quality, but they probably cost an arm and a leg. I'm still using my good old LaCie Electron Blue CRT 22" display at home. It still serves really well after all these years and still very easy on my eyes. At work, we use Mitsubishi Diamond Pro CRT monitors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
edge: Thanks for replying and giving me this tip! what you wrote here made me go whaaat?? But when I tried it i was like WOOOW! Big difference! thanks!

A couple of questions i sit with no is:

When changing from RGB to CMYK can I change it back to rgb without loosing my new curves effect?

And when changing this from rgb to cmyk and/or back again will I destroy elements within the picture?
Since I need to flatten the image to convert to CMYK I'm left with a flattened picture with no layers...

cheers

Gerry
That's why I said dupe it. Convert a copy of your finished RGB to CMYK for further tweaking. When you're done in CMYK, drag it back onto your RGB layer stack. It will convert automatically.

Yes. You will destroy some elements. As I pointed out, you will lose most detail in the red cloth to her left. The subtleties of the different shades of red are creating detail more than dark and light variations and those shades are missing in CMYK. That's why I said mask out the adjusted cloth. All you're interested in is the skin, and CMYK is a better space for fine tuning skin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Adam: Miss my Eizo! gave it away to my little brother! That screen was very good! So Eizo is the thing to use when retouching!?

I've been told by several people that the higher end Eizo's are the best lcd's you can get. They are internally calibrated and are tethered to the mac with a usb cable, so they dont use the video card to modify the color. I use the eye-one display2 to calibrate. I have the 24" CE coloredge, but the CG series coloredge are the cream of the crop ranging anywhere from $2000-$5000 , mine was about $700 cheaper than the CG and has near the same gamut. It does have some falloff when not viewed directly (like standing close, above the screen) if I ever freelance then the more expensive models could be a viable choice but I am very happy with mine, 1000 times better than my old 22" acer lcd!

Can't compare it to a high end crt...I can't even find those anymore.

Thanks edgework for the tip! will go down on my mental list of tricks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2007, 02:22 AM

hay i think you did a great job!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching