RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

70 percent hot! (beauty Retouching)

Old 09-22-2007, 07:08 PM

70 percent hot! (beauty Retouching)

Hello fellow retouchers. Let me just say I had a lot of fun reading all your threads and learning how to be invisible within a photo. I am learning photography and I found that retouching helps me develop my eye even more. The less I have to do to an image the better. Any way I have a problems with my first image here and of course it's the skin. there is slight differences in color that I was able to address a bit with D&B but not 100 percent. I been trying to find the technique of correcting with curves by the numbers but everything I find is vague... well I just can't understand it.

Please C&C and tell me what else I could have done. I uploaded the image as big as I could and included the original for those who want to give it a whirl!!

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/705/closeupik6.jpg (retouched)

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3105/orcloseupmf6.jpg (Original)

thanx!! I have to go party now.

Lan Man

~I dreamed in pixels and rgb color for the past few days!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2007, 08:16 PM

Re: 70 percent hot! (beauty Retouching)

Did you resize the retouched version? It's a lot bigger than the original.

As for critiques, what is your final intent? Fashion retouch. Realistic image? You've made a significant shift in color but I couldn't say for sure how correct or incorrect it is. Your version feels too hot, the original feels too cold. It's always risky to come up with a forumla for any skin tone, but with black skin tones the wide range of tone and value makes it virtually impossible.

Here's a write-up I did on another forum on that issue; while it doesn't give hard numbers, it does explore the relationships in the different channels that one can reasonably expect for different types of color and value:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=64303

My post is the eighth one down. It might be useful. The numbers are based on CMYK readouts, but even in RGB, reading skin tones in CMYK can give a clearer sense of what's going on.

Last edited by edgework; 09-22-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2007, 10:07 PM

Maybe I'm being overly harsh but, to be honest, I prefer the original.

Exactly as edgework said:
Quote:
Fashion retouch. Realistic image?
This is the very first thing that you must decide. Either you go for the perfect image or you go for the perfect representation of the subject. Inbetween these two is a murky area that it's best to avoid.

First you need to know where you are going - then you find out how to get there.

I did a glamour / fashion job. Although I did not go too extreme, I think you can see what I was up to.

...and thank you. This is a great image to work on!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Close-up-byRo.jpg (99.7 KB, 243 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2007, 02:52 AM

kiltacticon - I like your version allot, i think you did well cropping, and it looks very natural.

byRO, maybe im being too harsh, but i would definatly favour the original over your image. The whole blury, hazey look really isnt fashion (when do you ever see that kind of look flicking through the pages of vogue?) - It looks very amature and ive seen, its the type of thing they teach online.....far to typical...... However i do like how you cropped the image, and the overal mood you gave it. =)

kiltacticon - Your on the right track i think!

Last edited by Ankh1; 09-23-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2007, 05:36 AM

Thumbs up Re: 70 percent hot! (beauty Retouching)

Ok first off. I just want to say thank you for your quick replies. This is very important to me. While at my bbq tonight, I want to be practicing on all the images I have, instead. sick?!?!? First thing is first. Thank you!

edgework! perfect man to reply. Everything I did to this image besides the color (obv) was base from a critic you made in a beauty retouching thread about getting rid of hairs in the face. Everyone's contributions truly changed how I use photoshop forever. D&B are the best. To be clear, I am going for natural beauty. What is fashion? (everyone has a different take on this) I want to make images that look natural and perfect and not obvious. Yes, I agree by the end, my image got too hot. I was overly concerned with smooth a skin tone. I mean having just one tone. there were areas of lightness everywhere. I tried to address the issue by D&B, but never fully went away but it seem endless! the link below show the original skin... notice the scuttle variations in color.
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8669/tonetp8.jpg

my question is:
Will changing the tone by playing with the number values would help?

I will bookmark the link you provided me with and read this info until I understand it. At the time, I don't. I need to find a video tutorial of the sort to fully grasp the cmyk numbers manipulation through a rgb color space procedure.

BTW, the host must of shrunk the original size from the OG pic (complete lie, I did it wrong lol). I will upload it again to encourage people to go for it I hope to do more photo shoots with other beauties real soon and will def be sharing!

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4...closeupqg2.jpg

I dont want to take any shortcuts in this. While I want to preserve the intregrity of each pixel, I want to also manipulate them to get the best possible results. That being said. Thank you byRO for your comment and for taking a stab at it. Hopefully others will do the same. I like the cropping of the tee and darkening the bad underarm. Your smooth, soft tones and transitions from shadows to midtones, how did you achieve that?!? I didn't like the cutting of the arm up top, for I like the shape it made. However, I took some black of the top.

When I wake up I will research more to learn how to apply the cmyk curve?

Ankh1 - Thanx for the push!

I played with the color a bit and toned down the highlights on this image below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg closeup2.jpg (97.8 KB, 112 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2007, 05:40 AM

Oh and byRo,

There is a difference in the way the shape of the cheeks look in yours. Much more sexy. How did you go about that? nice touch!

Last edited by kiltacticon; 09-23-2007 at 06:04 AM. Reason: better explanation/ choice of words
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh1 View Post
byRO, maybe im being too harsh, but i would definatly favour the original over your image. The whole blury, hazey look really isnt fashion (when do you ever see that kind of look flicking through the pages of vogue?) - It looks very amature and ive seen, its the type of thing they teach online.....far to typical...... However i do like how you cropped the image, and the overal mood you gave it. =)
Gotta disagree. I think it's a nice job. Subtle color enhancements.

I made no actual color moves on this, but some contrast moves with plate blending gave a little more weight to the tones. All healing brush, dodging/burning and a couple of targeted curves to soften shadows on the left side of the image. Mostly worked on the face. Hands and arms are still a little ragged. And, now that I look at it, I might want to knock back the sharpen layer a bit. And the eyes need brightening. And a million other things that pop out once you kid yourself that it's "finished." (As if).

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/o..._retouched.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2007, 09:28 AM

nicely done, edge!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2007, 09:48 AM

I thought i give it a try, hope u like it!

CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL RESOLUTION!

P.S. i only did the face and the, i don't know how they call in English, let i say Left under. haha
and now i see it again its a bit to sharp overall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orcloseupqg2smallfinal.jpg (77.9 KB, 112 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2007, 09:58 AM

Edge work, Nice skin texture!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching