RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dont be nice!

Old 09-24-2007, 03:18 PM

Re: Dont be nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyH View Post
Hi Matt, this is the mock up I did for myself a while back.
I hope this helps. I'm not a professional, but I'm learned a lot on this site.
The part when you say "a while back" sounds like you have edited the photo in the past. Its a very nice photograph. are you the original photographer or have you edited the image for sxc.hu? or do you just mean that this is the way you edit photos?

Last edited by MatthewMarshall; 09-24-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 06:14 PM

It was in this threat http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...touch-fun.html.
I'm not the photographer, just did it for practice.

I'll work on uploading it to a larger site.

Last edited by CathyH; 09-24-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2007, 12:20 PM

I love your color correction as well -- unnaturally oversaturated, yes ... but wouldn't the world be prettier if it looked like that? I think it's lovely. The lash enhancement and eyebrow cleanup are particularly good -- and did you strengthen the shadows/highlights on the collarbone, or did that come out with the overall color/contrast adjustments? Looks great.

A few details that I think could be improved - as edgework pointed out, you've killed the highlight on the bridge of the nose, and I think you could strengthen the cheekbones by brightening the highlights along the high edge. I think the creases/wrinkles beneath the eyes were left too harsh (don't want to get rid of them entirely, of course, but I'd soften them), and - as was already raised - the hole in the earlobe is a distraction. The biggest issue I had was the heavy lipliner - it's too dark and does not blend into the rest of the lips ... from the original, it looks like it was applied (in real life) with a heavy hand to begin with, but I think it becomes even harsher (esp. along the upper lip) in the retouch. I'd get rid of it altogether, use a new layer to redefine a clean, defined lipline (with a steady hand), and then use either the smudge brush or a gaussian blur to blend it into the lips, finally adjusting the layer's opacity as necessary. I can see (here and in other retouches that you've posted) that you're fantastic with makeup ... and as you know, applying it in photoshop should not be all that different than applying it in real life (hence the importance of the right shade, clean & steady lines, and a good amount of smudging into the rest of the lipcolor!).

Last edited by roundrock; 09-26-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 AM

lol i had no idea you all had edited this photo in the past. im such a newbee here. thank you so far for all the ideas. I will have my new version on here soon.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching