RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dont be nice!

Old 09-24-2007, 02:27 AM

Angry Dont be nice!

I edited this stock image (from sxc.hu), for fun. i have edited photographs for almost 10 years. I need you guys to be hard on me. Dont be nice at all!!! help me find my flaws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg web.jpg (96.4 KB, 161 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 02:34 AM

Re: Dont be nice!

here are some at the photos 100% resolution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg close-up-end.jpg (83.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg close-up-start.jpg (83.2 KB, 110 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 07:13 AM

Hi Matt,

the flat colored skin was nicely saturated, a bit more than it needed(IMHO), the eyes got better shades, good work, more contrast on all, what else i could suggest

saby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c-up-e_saby.jpg (98.1 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 07:58 AM

I am mostly going to admire your color shift. I like the cyan black dress alot against the more vivid red. Like the contrast.
As for flaws to improve on... After looking at the image a bit closer and at 100 percent res., The lips in that dark spot was a little soft and the outline little as a whole could have been neater on the opposite end. Is it possible to minimize the dark spot with out losing the shape of the lips?

Also on full res, the dress has two color spots.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 09:28 AM

Don't be nice, eh? Well, I don't want to be mean, but I'll strive for accuracy. That work?

First the retouching: you've left some of the crucial imperfections untouched, as in the harsh shadows on her chin, the veins in her forehead and the shadow along the side of her nose, which has actually gotten worse. The lines in her face should be softened.

As for color, you've determined that her skin is too pale, though, I'm not sure that's correct. She seems a pasty-faced type and some people just don't get out in the sun. But we'll say the tones need some weight. Your solution is wholly unbelievable.

In the center of her forehead, the original is reading 3C, 15M, 16Y. (CMYK readouts are cleaner, partiuclarly in areas where color really matters, than RGB). Those numbers are a textbook formula for caucasian skin tones, with Cyan coming in around 20% of magenta and yellow running slightly ahead of magenta. In your version, cyan has been eliminated altogether while magenta and yellow have increased to around 25%. This is more or less what has happened over the whole face, and it creates a hot orange that might be realistic after a nuclear accident but not for a pretty face like hers.

In addition, you've increased the tones without paying attention to the contrast, and so the shape has been lost. Gotta keep those highlights and shadows in the same relationship to each other. And what's with that dead zone running down the center of her nose, where a believable highlight used to be?

I wanted to increase magenta and yellow as well, but she's fairly deficient in cyan, though moreso in M and Y (hence her white/neutral hue). I played a couple of tricks on Photoshop, forcing it to give me a much more robust cyan/red plate, which allowed me to increase values across the board without throwing things out of whack. (I copied my red plate, made a duplicate of the file which I converted to CMYK, substituted my red plate for the awful cyan plate and converted back to RGB.) I probably could have done something similar with curves, but this was faster and works and guarantees that the additional cyan will be actual color, not something pumped through the green or blue plates (Selective Color, or Channel Mixer). Of course all that unexpected cyan ruins the reds elsewhere, so I masked everything but the skin in the revised layer back in RGB. Now there was a sufficient amount of cyan to allow the magenta and yellow to increase without throwing things out of whack.

Of couse I would do all my retouching first, then make the color moves. And, this is assuming we want to make her skin redder. That might not be the best way to go, letting contrast moves do the work. It's a judgment call.

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/RedBench.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 09:43 AM

One thing i noticed: either add in an earring or remove the hole in her ear. other than that i love it!

www.myspace.com/kissofglamour
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 10:15 AM

Thumbs up Re: Dont be nice!

I wanted to increase magenta and yellow as well, but she's fairly deficient in cyan, though moreso in M and Y (hence her white/neutral hue). I played a couple of tricks on Photoshop, forcing it to give me a much more robust cyan/red plate, which allowed me to increase values across the board without throwing things out of whack. (I copied my red plate, made a duplicate of the file which I converted to CMYK, substituted my red plate for the awful cyan plate and converted back to RGB.) I probably could have done something similar with curves, but this was faster and works and guarantees that the additional cyan will be actual color, not something pumped through the green or blue plates (Selective Color, or Channel Mixer). Of course all that unexpected cyan ruins the reds elsewhere, so I masked everything but the skin in the revised layer back in RGB. Now there was a sufficient amount of cyan to allow the magenta and yellow to increase without throwing things out of whack.

Of couse I would do all my retouching first, then make the color moves. And, this is assuming we want to make her skin redder. That might not be the best way to go, letting contrast moves do the work. It's a judgment call.

Edgework thats a great way of doing it, cyan is the key to holding the shape of the image. Great tip!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 11:41 AM

Great Job, this retouch is amazing (I think the above covered ANY flaws) - Hey, I just voted for you in the Sept contest - Good Luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 12:46 PM

Hi Matt, this is the mock up I did for myself a while back.
I hope this helps. I'm not a professional, but I'm learned a lot on this site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lady-Red-Chair-Mock-up.jpg (93.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Lady-Red-Chair.jpg (99.8 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyH View Post
Hi Matt, this is the mock up I did for myself a while back.
I hope this helps. I'm not a professional, but I'm learned a lot on this site.
Nice.

Would love to see the finished version as the same size as the original.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching