RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Color Replacement problems-- Photoshop CS2

Old 09-25-2007, 04:58 PM

Re: Color Replacement problems-- Photoshop CS2

The gradient map works, try it! Doesn't preserve subtle colour shifts though. In my opinion though, the channel mixer is generally the tool for massive color changes, where Luminosity AND colour need to change. Less destructive.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2007, 06:37 PM

i'll have to try the gradient on a problem image i worked on last year...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 08:12 AM

I'm a big advocate of using LAB for severe color shifts of all kinds. I agree that it would be possible here, except that LAB is never good for fine precision. (Try to pull heat out of face shadows without turning everything else screwy). (Okay, maybe with Blend-If sliders). But that just makes my point. It's complicated and tricky in LAB. Whereas The gradient map is EXACT. And easy. But hey, it's the result that pays the rent and we get our results with the tools we're familiar with.

Do you guys ever use the gradient map to get consistent skin tone colours, then mask out in a adjustment layer mask? Then you get not colour shift problems?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
Do you guys ever use the gradient map to get consistent skin tone colours, then mask out in a adjustment layer mask? Then you get not colour shift problems?
If you choose your samples in the gradient carefully (preferably from the actual image, unless it's just too screwed up,) and use a sufficient number of samples (maybe ten or so) you can get extremelyi realistic results, except, of course, you'll lose rosy cheeks and lips need to be masked out (or given their own map). I wouldn't use it as a standard color correcting tool, by any means, but in the context of your question, yes, it will equalize your skin tones throughout the value range. This isn't necessarily a means to realistic skin, by the way; skin varies in hue, saturation and value from one point to the next and needs careful modulation to keep it looking natural.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 AM

edgework]If you choose your samples in the gradient carefully (preferably from the actual image, unless it's just too screwed up,) and use a sufficient number of samples (maybe ten or so) you can get extremelyi realistic results, except, of course, you'll lose rosy cheeks and lips need to be masked out (or given their own map). I wouldn't use it as a standard color correcting tool, by any means, but in the context of your question, yes, it will equalize your skin tones throughout the value range. This isn't necessarily a means to realistic skin, by the way; skin varies in hue, saturation and value from one point to the next and needs careful modulation to keep it looking natural.[/QUOTE]

Thanks edgework, What do you find to be the best method to equalize skin if its gone a bit off in some areas, I find sometimes after D&B you can get a colour shift
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:15 AM

Hue/Saturation - choose reds or yellows. Then change the ranges of these carefully (easiest to do by holding Alt and shift and clicking within the window pane to add and subtract ranges of colour).

Another tip, especially useful with the Hue/Saturation dialog, is to hold the ALT key (or option) and use the scubby sliders, highlighting the word "Hue" and moving left and right- this will allow much subtler, easier to control shifts.

You can also sometimes get away with Selective Color highlighting Yellows, Reds, Magentas - this does nice subtle non destructive work.

Also set a curve to "Color" mode. Go into the Red and Blue channel curves particularly

Last edited by Markzebra; 09-26-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 AM

Cheers Mark! do you tend to use a adjustment layer mask to target certain colour shift areas?
I guess you dont need to if you target in Hue and Sat?

Last edited by mayday; 09-26-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
\Thanks edgework, What do you find to be the best method to equalize skin if its gone a bit off in some areas, I find sometimes after D&B you can get a colour shift
A good one-size fits all tweak (and I do mean tweak; not for major moves) is a Selective Color layer that pulls a little magenta and adds yellow to the reds, and pulls a little yellow and adds magenta to the yellows. Tends to balance the red/yellow problem, leaving a more even playing field for a normal curve enhancement.

D&B can definitely shift colors, either making a desaturated area too saturated, or the inverse, lightening a shadow area and finding that there's no color there (duh! it's a shadow!). That's why I don't use D&B for major moves. It's a fine-tuning step, where you mop up all the debris left over from your other moves.

One thing that I find always works (including stronger moves than I'd try with D&B) is to use a targeted curve on areas that need to shift, say larger regions of blotchiness that are too spread out and indistinct to respond well to cloning or healing. It works in reverse of how you usually use a curve for a color shift, which is to mask out the area, then apply the curve through the mask. In the case of uneven blotchiness, there's no way to create an initial mask. I set a color sample in an area of clean color (that I wish to match), then a second one in an area that needs to change. Then I add a curve adjustment layer and in each channel set a midpoint anchor. Plug in your input/output values from the two samplers. It's just a numbers thing, no thought necessary just input the bad, output the good. Now mask out the curve layer and start painting white where you wish to shift the tone. Use a low opacity brush, preferably a pressure-sensitive tablet, and let your eye tell you how to create the mask. The beauty of curves is that they distribute the shifts smoothly over the entire range, so you can hit areas that are lighter or darker than your samples and be reasonably assured that the tone will pull in the right direction. Of course, the accuracy diminishes the farther away you move from your samples, but you can always use a second curve for areas that are out of range of the first. The technique is the same as dodging and burning: small strokes, low opacity, use the 'X' key to switch back and forth from white to black.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you need to wrap up all the work from one approach before heading on to the next. In theory, you might start with bulk cloning, then healing to smooth things out, Dodge/Burn, some curves, etc; in truth, you keep moving back and forth. After each step, I find I need to create another layer to blend things with the healing brush, then I'll need another Dodge/Burn layer to even out some edges, then back to more healing brush, targeted curves, more healing, more D&B. Fixing one problem can leave you with a couple others you didn't notice earlier, and you have to keep your work flow flexible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 11:41 AM

Thanks for everyone's help. I keep trying all the different proceedures suggested by each of you.

When I use a Lasso tool to select an area, is there a way to lock it? When I need to perform several different proceedures to an area, it's a pain to have to re-select it each time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2007, 11:45 AM

How come every other thread turns into a skin tread?

I usually desaturate the skin and bring back the color with curves.
do that on top of the d&b layers and the color shifting problems are mostly taken care of.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching