RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Wacom workflow guide?!

Old 09-29-2007, 05:20 PM

Re: Wacom workflow guide?!

I use the pen almost all of the time for everything.

The pressure tip feel setting in the Wacom dialog is set to third mark from the left.

In photoshop use the tools presets and make brushes for the most used situations. Set the tools presets so that only the presets for the current tool show. For brushes, I have 15-20 brushes defined. I have the brushes saved as as sets for various uses. The ones below are mostly for retouching.

Pressure brushes: white and black at 1% and 3% flow, 100% opacity (I could not get good results utill I found these settings), 5 pix for dodge and burn. Pressure is very important for D/B. These brushes are softest. Shift-] to increase hardness, shift-[ to decrease. To change the flow, press the Alt key and then adjust the slider. The slider will increment in small amounts making it easy to to get an exact setting. This is useful because I sometimes go to 5-8% flow for heavy work. When making very subtle tone changes, such as evening out a slight blotchiness, cut the 1% flow brush to 50% opacity and build up gradually.

I generally work with multiple D/B layers. I do the fine work removing blemishes, wrinkles, etc. at a high mag on one D/B layer. Then I switch to another D/B layer on top of the first and use low opacity/flow and a low mag to even out the skin tones. I am often supprized when I zoom out from working high mag, that the area I thought looked so good is overall too light or dark when viewed at lower mags (25-50%).

Non pressure 100% opacity/flow, Hard, 50% gray to erase D/B.

Standard 20 pix, 100% both, no color.
Pressure 20 pix, 100% both, no color. These are general use. It is easy to add airbrush or change the size, opacity, flow etc., once you have a standard starting point.

An eyelash/hair brush,white, pressure, set to fade so that I get a taper at the end of the stroke. Used on a adj. Multiply layer with hide all mask. Builds up or creates eyelashes. Used with multiple strokes. Hard, full strength. A very slight(.3 -.5) Gaussian blur to soften after creation.

Two neutralizing brushes, one pressure the other not, at 20%. Mode set to saturation and color white. Used an a blank layer set to color. This will take the color out and go towards gray. Used to kill the oversaturated color shift you sometimes get with D/B. Also used to take the red out of the eye whites or red from blemishes.

Two color brushes, one pressure the other not, No set color, uses foreground color. Mode set to color. 20% op - 100% flow (often go down to 10%). Adds color to image. Used on same layer as neutralizing brushes. Used to correct small areas of discoloration such as purple bags under the eyes. Use a little red or yellow (pick from image), depending, to bring some life there. For stronger color shifts, neutralize first, then color.

The neutralize and color brushes can be cleaned up of overspray or the effect locally reduded by using the eraser on the color layer.

There are a few more but these are the ones I rely on. Don't put too many brushes in a set or it takes too much time to find the ones you want. Also, I name the black/white D/B brushes with an leading underscore so that they are at the top of the list.

Since I work with dual screen, the preset pallet is always available and quick to get to. The bushes pallet is grouped with the presets so that I can quickly create special brushes if needed.

I generally don't have the size set to pressure, only the opacity.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2007, 02:04 PM

Cool thanks for the guide Larry thats great
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leuallen View Post
I use the pen almost all of the time for everything.
There are a few more but these are the ones I rely on. Don't put too many brushes in a set or it takes too much time to find the ones you want. Also, I name the black/white D/B brushes with an leading underscore so that they are at the top of the list.

Since I work with dual screen, the preset pallet is always available and quick to get to. The bushes pallet is grouped with the presets so that I can quickly create special brushes if needed.

I generally don't have the size set to pressure, only the opacity.

Larry
very interesting, i wonder if you could post a small set of these to see them in action...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2007, 02:30 PM

i like the leading underscore tip, larry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2007, 09:35 AM

gerry, you can find all the accessories in the wacom estore online, i order additional tips, the regular ones, $4 for a bag of 5.

http://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/Intuos_C65.cfm
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2007, 12:43 PM

Havn't found a keyboard shortcut to turn pressure sensitivity on and off, but I think I could write a script that would do it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2007, 01:32 AM

There's an easier way to switch between pressure on and off.

Buy another pen! The Intuous and Cintiq use pen ID technology. Set one pen up for non-pressure brushes, and another for brushes with pressure sensitivity switched on. As soon as you change pens the settings change and remember the last settings you were using. In fact, possibly go right to the Wacom settings panel and adjust everything right there (<-- I'll have to check that out). If I remember correctly each pen can have it's own set-up in the settings panel and can vary per application.

Also, if you are worried about controlling the pen nib, etc. you should have gotten a nib with your Intuous that is spring loaded and give you a much longer stroke on your pen (i.e. more control).

I started with the Graphire years ago.. moved to the Intuos and then moved up to the Cintiq which is just fantastic.

I only use the mouse for web browsing and for complex paths in Photoshop or Illustrator.

Last edited by enigmaphotos; 10-05-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM

I have 2 Wacom tablets and use both the mouse and pen and have had no trouble. Go to the website and make sure you have the latest drivers and email tech support for any advice on the mouse glitch.

As far as testing, if a company doesn't have tablets or require testing without one, I'll bring my own or tell them up front, I work with a tablet and can work literally 10 times faster and more accurate with my Wacom. If they have an issue with that, I would not want to work for that company and they can hire someone else then, fine with me. I have a drawing/painting background and a tablet and pen feel natural for me and my selections and clipping paths are more accurate

steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 07:10 AM

get rid of your mouse and force yourself to use the wacom only

thing I found hardest at first was drawing paths, but you will get used to it

I dont use pressure for dodge and burn - my arm gets sore!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1156 View Post
i forgot to mention the tips go pretty fast, so you'll need to order extras, i have to look for the link from where i get them, think they come in a lot of 25. i go through them somewhat fast, i like to have new ones and replace them often, seems to work best for me. i'm very light handed but i think when i'm masking and brushing in overlay i tend to push pretty hard.
Really, what happens and how do you know when you have to replace the tip?
I have had my two Wacom pens for years and never have changed tips.

What are the signs you need a new one?

steve
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching