RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Cleaning Up Scans

Old 10-02-2007, 02:18 AM

Cleaning Up Scans

Hi,
Looking for a little help (a lot) for cleaning up scans. I scanned a pic from 1964 in very bad shape for fading. I then converted the photo in cs3 to black and white, used curves in LAB, finally have a very very good image of the original picture, but there is just loads of noise when I converted to grayscale. I have had this some problem with other images. Please assist with any hints.

Noise clean of course does not work.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 AM

Re: Cleaning Up Scans

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCOOPER View Post
Hi,
Looking for a little help (a lot) for cleaning up scans. I scanned a pic from 1964 in very bad shape for fading. I then converted the photo in cs3 to black and white, used curves in LAB, finally have a very very good image of the original picture, but there is just loads of noise when I converted to grayscale. I have had this some problem with other images. Please assist with any hints.

Noise clean of course does not work.

Thanks for any help.
You might want to check with the Restoration Forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 AM

sounds like your scanner can't handle the density range of your originals...also, why did you convert to b&w and then to LAB?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Patron

A good noise filter like Noiseware should be able to get rid of the noise unless what you are describing as noise is not really noise. The best way to get appropriate advise would be to attach an image or part of an image.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Patron

You could try this - convert the color scan to Lab, then Filter>Blur>Surface Blur the a and the b; fiddle with the threshold and radius to get the best noise removal without doing too much damage to edge definition. You can get pretty aggressive with the a and b blurring. Next check the Lightness channel. If that's noisy you can try (gently) the Dust and Scratches filter or a 3rd-party plug-in like Noise Ninja. THEN go back to rgb and convert to black and white and do your curving.

As Murray said, however, the noise might not be noise, and we really can do a better consulting job if you post the image. Just make sure what you post is the original scan or part of it.

<C>
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2007, 01:09 PM

Good morning,
Thanks to each of you for your input, I must admit I did forget the attachments, and then thought you might not need them LOL.

I have attached the original photo, and the adjusted photo. The reason for the b/w conversion is that in CS 3 when converting the program offers b/w conversion as a better way to control the conversion.

I have no problem with any step that I should redo, or even if it is my scanner. I have an Epson 3170 which I have had for a while and would not upgrade because I always felt it did a good enough job, no shame in my game. Will upgrade if that is the bottom line for me.

Did not get a chance yet to work with the Lab and blur yet, but will be doing this later today.
Thanks again, and looking forward to all the responses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan2initial.jpg (73.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg scan3a-attach.jpg (96.5 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Patron

That is not noise. What you have is dirt or mold or pits in the original media. The Clone stamp and spot healing brushes in CS3 can eliminate them.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching