RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

RGB CMYK LAB and Dan Margulis !

Old 11-12-2007, 08:48 PM

Re: RGB CMYK LAB and Dan Margulis !

great tip from mark. another step to a smart workflow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2007, 11:53 PM

RBG = rich color for web and digital use. CMKY= a better idea of what your image will look like printed. Thats the most simplest way to look at it. lol. But talking about how to edit color and in what mode, is like talking about church and religion. It can go on for days. My friends and i have a joke we call it the holy color war. because so many people have so many views about whats the best mode to edit in. I edit in both.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
One new way to work with other modes Ive never heard mentioned yet by Margulis or anyone else - is the fact that you can use Smart Objects to do a lot less damage. Ill try and give you an example - duplicate your Background layer, convert the duplicate to a smart object. Open the duplicate and then convert the Smart Object LAB. Attach a LAB curve or any other adjustment to the Smart object and save it. Now use blend modes, blend if, to make the converted LAB version of your file interact with RGB base pixels. Now back in the master document you potentially have the full power of the 10 channels at your disposal, with no converting the base pixels back and forth. You could have both a LAB and a CMYK version of your file residing in the original, with all the power that entails - channels can be copied back and forth.
Really great tip Mark, never thought of that before Cheers!

The Dan Margulis book Professional Photoshop is great but I think he makes it a harder read than it needs to be!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM

Mark

Thanks for a fantastic tip! I didn't realize this and it just made my day!!
There was an application years ago that enabled multi-color space layers within a single
image. xRes. Bought out by Macromedia and then killed. Or more accurately, crunched down into a program called Fireworks.

And to think that this existed in CS2 also and I never noticed!

This is huge.... really really really huge. And I hope you don't mind if I bring it up at my class in Vegas.

Chris

Last edited by cricket1961; 11-13-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the compliment Chris. Much appreciated.. it does have its limitations and can look more powerful on first glance than is the case in practice unfortunately: Remember that the master document still needs to be in a single color mode. So your LAB Smart Object is converted back to RGB each time you save.

The advantage is its non destructive, and in the example I gave you can use LAB adjustments on your LAB embedded file to your hearts content without sucessively damaging the base pixels Margulis style. One further tip is that you can set up actions to take the LAB or CMYK channels and paste them into the master on the fly. would be nice if you could hide channels in your smart object leaving visible only the ones you wanted to blend, maybe thats one for the Adobe Feature Requests.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Thanks for the compliment Chris. Much appreciated.. it does have its limitations and can look more powerful on first glance than is the case in practice unfortunately: Remember that the master document still needs to be in a single color mode. So your LAB Smart Object is converted back to RGB each time you save.
Ah, but when I saved down a RGB master image with a cmyk smart object and closed it and reopened it, the smart object was still CMYK.
Conversely, a master CMYK was still retaining a RGB AND a L*ab smart object.

This is great, at least for my workflow.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgework View Post
As Dan likes to say, every file has 10 channels. Even if you don't need CMYK for output purposes its four channels are a great source of targeted masks. Borrowing a black plate for use as a layer mask in RGB and LAB gives you a shot at much more refined shadow work than either space is capable of simply using master RGB curves in luminosity mode
Well said...Edgework. Extremely useful and most importantly...pretty damn practical. In fact, I printed it out and stuck it on my wall over my monitor for reference since I am still sucking my pacifier in regards to using CMYK & LAB.

Thanks for taking the time to sit and write something meaningful and not just a criticism or opinion.

Damien
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
The Dan Margulis book Professional Photoshop is great but I think he makes it a harder read than it needs to be!
It IS a tough read, but the simplified versions used in 2 other authors' books took longer to cover less material and in less depth. I'd prefer a book which can be re-read to something which doesn't give as much coverage.

The LAB book is, however, much easier to follow, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Connery View Post
It IS a tough read, but the simplified versions used in 2 other authors' books took longer to cover less material and in less depth. I'd prefer a book which can be re-read to something which doesn't give as much coverage.

The LAB book is, however, much easier to follow, in my opinion.
Don't get me wrong its a great book, and for its information one of the best around, just not sure I like his writing style.
I have'nt read the LAB Book yet but looked through it and it seems better and more direct.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 08:19 AM

Fiddling around today I realised that you actually CAN hide channels in the Smart object file by unchecking the channels in the Advanced blending options - For example if you wanted to blend The A channel of LAB with your RGB document, open your LAB smart Object, Option Double click the Base LAB and turn off the L and B channels. Now save the smart object- your A channel will now appear intact in your original RGB document, converted to 3 channel RGB obviously (weird) but still useable. There you go even I learned something today.

You are welcome to use this Chris. By the way, what part of your workflow uses this? For me its alpha's and Getting a K density channel into RGB
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching