RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

RGB CMYK LAB and Dan Margulis !

Old 11-14-2007, 08:28 AM

Re: RGB CMYK LAB and Dan Margulis !

Another great finding Mark! you offer some of the best advice and techniques on this site
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 08:46 AM

This will allow for the adjustment of the black channel in RGB mode. Or certain calculations that work better in CMYK than RGB.
My softlight retouching is a lot harder to do in a CMYK file (more pressure needed)but now I can have a RGB file embedded and not have to worry about converting to CMYK at the end. Filters that work on RGB files but not CMYK are useable now. The list goes on and on. Having a CMYK base with a RGB smart object to tweak or filter. And within the RGB object, a L*ab object to change color or calculation masking.

Mark, I can write a whole book about just this one technique.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 06:02 PM

"and not have to worry about converting to CMYK at the end" - here's is a technique, You can have an empty "container CMYK" file with your working file as an embedded RGB. its possible to merely change your destination profle (lets say Euroscale or GMG) simply by using Assign profile on the CMYK master. No destructive after the event CMYK to CMYK coversions necessary any more if you set your files up this way. You can set up a droplet for each CMYK destination space which simply opens the file ASSIGNS the profile and then saves a copy. Non destructive CMYK to CMYK effectively using the embedded master RGB as the source each time. Pity most studios don't bother to get their heads around this stuff.

Smart objects are still too new to be used my most I've found. "Instances" too, occurances of the same Object used multiple times in a document, is another feature with a great many uses, each instance can be a different in every respect except the base pixels. This has mind boggling potential.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 07:08 PM

Now you are seeing it Mark! Way to go! Exactly what I meant by no more conversions to cmyk.
And each smart object can have multiple smart objects within. Even illustrator objects!

Like I said. This is huge.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I can write a whole book about just this one technique.
You better start to do that and I sure will buy it! XD
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 09:32 PM

This is good stuff. Thanks for this very nice tip, Mark. This is probably the greatest approach to nondestructive retouching I've ever seen. The possibility is immense if not endless.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 09:43 PM

mark, chris....can you help me understand this a little better.

having the working RGB file inside a container cmyk file, going back to your RGB embeded file, the working file everytime you want to do a direct RGB to cmyk conversion. is that the point? instead of cmyk lets say euro to cmyk us sheetfed.

i must be missing something, and sure i am. it just sounds the same as, let's say i have an RGB master file. if i need different RBG>CMYK conversions, why not just go back to the RGB file and do separate save as files each time i need a different cmyk conversion. what does the embeded RGB method do that's better than save as steps?

im just having trouble following it. i get the channels and filters and blending, just not following what is so different about the conversions.

thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 11:39 PM

Hey guys,

Just wanted to drop a line and say that I took some peoples advice and ordered the two main Dan Margulis books listed in this thread...had'em overnighted from Amazon.

I've spent most of today with the LAB book and must say that in the little bit I have actually gotten down...the way I retouch is forever changed! Seriously!

If anyone is contemplating buying one or both of the main Dan Margulis books...but maybe are gun shy of spending the cash...do it! There are so many things I thought I knew but now realize I didn't know as well as I thought. (What?)

Thanks for the book tips guys.

Damien
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2007, 08:14 AM

Your right KR1156 - there is nothing different about it - you are effectively converting from your RGB master using whatever profile setup you have in color preferences (another flaw I agree). What makes a big difference to me is the whole thing is embedded in a single file, this is what gets confusing working with other people, having many different versions floating around - RGB, CMYK Euro, GMG retouched CMYK - maybe some pap file someone has converted using default SWOP - and THEN repurposing these CMYK files - disaster. Thats all.

There is nothing different about the conversions, and they are also flawed in that whatever rendering intent, black point you have set up in Color Settings will always be used. BUT ... if you know what you are doing its a great way to keep things clean.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2007, 09:06 AM

i got ya mark, thanks for the clarification....i thought i was missing something and it was bugging me!

but i do like a very clean, smart & simple workflow...so we're on the same page.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching