RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Trying to achieve a particular tone/feel in my images

Old 10-10-2007, 03:49 PM

Re: Trying to achieve a particular tone/feel in my images

Hi Ant, In trying to learn as much as possible to achieve these types of effects I'd love you to explain...

I'm really grateful to everyone who has helped here.. I haven't had much of a chance to try each approach, but I'll give it a shot in the morning. If I can help at all with any photography questions you might have, Lighting in particular (i worked as a lighting tech for fashion campaigns etc..) please email me...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 03:58 PM

I agree with you Ant. I did not do any kind of contrast moves that would
have brought back some life.
The method I used is fully dependent on the opacity levels set by the user.
Just showing how it could possibly be done and leaving the tweaks to bohngy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 03:59 PM

Hi Ant, those skintones do look good... I must admit!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 03:59 PM

Here's my pass at your two examples

I duplicated the background layer (labled it Desaturate), switch to LAB, selected the L channel, switched back to RGB and pasted the L channel as a layer mask on the "Desaturate" layer. Then ran Image->Adjustments->Desaturate and set the opacity to 65% (change the opacity of the layer to increase or reduce the effect). I then added a Levels Adjustment layer on top (check "Use Previous Layer To Create Clipping Mask") to set the highlights and midtone to taste.

I recorded an action to do most of the work but can't figure out how to upload it. I can e-mail it to you if you like (need your e-mail address).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exampleblm2-a.jpg (97.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg exampleblm-a.jpg (93.2 KB, 82 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 04:01 PM

duwayne... I'd prefer to learn this myself rather than an action.. how do I copy the lightness channel in Lab... and then paste that into a layer mask?

man.. I've got some work/learning to do with this one!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 04:16 PM

I probably take the long way around the barn but seems straight forward. Convert to LAB, on the Layer/Channels palette select Channels and then the "L" channel. On the main Photoshop menu choose Select->All then Edit->Copy. Convert back to RGB and select the Layers palette and the Desaturate layer. Next choose Layer->Add Layer Mask->Reveal All. This will add the layer mask to the Desaturate layer. Now Alt-Click on the new layer mask and your screen window will be completely white (your are looking at the layer mask itself). Now Edit->Paste and select the layer thumbnail. Hope I got it right. It's quicker to do than type.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 04:26 PM

Ant -

I also really like your skin tones. I don't know if I would use the word "dead" looking but it sure looks "pastel skin". Probably a matter of taste but I would boost you mid-tone a bit. The image looks dark on the right side due to the bright light on the left. I've always admired your work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohngy View Post
Hi Ant, In trying to learn as much as possible to achieve these types of effects I'd love you to explain...

I'm really grateful to everyone who has helped here.. I haven't had much of a chance to try each approach, but I'll give it a shot in the morning. If I can help at all with any photography questions you might have, Lighting in particular (i worked as a lighting tech for fashion campaigns etc..) please email me...
bohngy, I'll go over what I did when I get back in the studio tomorrow. Don't remember all off the top off my head right now. (didn't do that much however).

btw, I am also a photographer. Got a good handle on light. PM me if you want my web address.

Chris, yeah, just didn't want him to get the wrong idea - not sure he'd seen or has seen what he's after yet. Color is one of my things and I'm always looking to make mine better. I actually brought the contrast down in my example rather than adding any. i think a lot of people are out to get that 'in' - ish look of desaturation, but only a few get it right. I'm a bit tired of it myself, but it's better than orange people.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
bohngy, I'll go over what I did when I get back in the studio tomorrow. Don't remember all off the top off my head right now. (didn't do that much however).

btw, I am also a photographer. Got a good handle on light. PM me if you want my web address.

Chris, yeah, just didn't want him to get the wrong idea - not sure he'd seen or has seen what he's after yet. Color is one of my things and I'm always looking to make mine better. I actually brought the contrast down in my example rather than adding any. i think a lot of people are out to get that 'in' - ish look of desaturation, but only a few get it right. I'm a bit tired of it myself, but it's better than orange people.
Yeah. Couldn't agree more about the desat look. Don't know why it has hung on for this long.
You are right about him not getting the wrong idea. I tried something new by not being TO specific about things so that people would play around with numbers etc. Maybe I'm to vague this time.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 10:17 PM

Here's what I do when trying to get this kind of saturation.

I switch to lab mode and copy the lightness channel. switch back to rgb and paste it to a new layer. then I do this to it....

saturationblend.jpg

it gives a little bit of separate control over light and dark sats. kinda like a shadow/highlight but without the "midtone contrast" slider if there were such a thing for saturation..
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching