RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dealing With Over Saturation.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:09 PM

Re: Dealing With Over Saturation.

Hi MacBug,

Try a selective colour adjustment layer. You would have to fiddle around till you got the colours that you preferred though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturation1lz5-copy.jpg (40.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg saturation2mp4-copy.jpg (28.6 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2007, 12:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice and techniques offered, as Edgework has explained, bringing back detail that is present in the original file is the solution I am looking for, its just a shame the 5D can't handle reds/yellows in camera. I will spend a bit of time experimenting with channels/blend modes today and hopefully work out a technique that can be used in my workflow.

Thanks again, Shaun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2007, 01:52 PM

Shaun, are you using Adobe Camera Raw? With ACR 4.2, you can use the HSL/grayscale controls to work on the luminance for the reds and yellows. The Vibrance control is supposed to be an "intelligent" control of saturation and help prevent clipping.

Don't know if these controls by themselves will get you where you're heading, but there is a lot of power there and you can still use Photoshop afterwards if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturation1lz5-luminance.jpg (65.8 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2007, 03:12 PM

As a photographer first i would suggest you have a look at the 5D custom function settings.

Perhaps you have the in camera saturation too hi/low for what your doing, as well you may have the camera " mode" set incorrectly.

As an example the manual says "portrait mode, slightly crisp and sharp", In fact it creates a slightly soft image. Yes we have pointed it out to Canon Australia, who will no doubt do nothing. Landscape enhances greens and blues from the manual i think from memory.

You may also want to make sure your exposures are dead on and /or bracket the exposures which should help you a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2007, 06:45 PM

The settings you mention for the 5D are only used when shooting Jpegs in camera. I only shoot RAW files and I shoot tethered to a Macbook Pro using Capture One Pro, this lets me view the RAW file as shot, compared with the 5D's Lcd which I find shows the image considerably brighter then the actual RAW file. For certain products ie. jewelry, I shoot more than one exposure to be combined later in Photoshop, but in general when you shoot tethered you can adjust the lighting/camera settings and reshoot to get one perfect exposure.

Thanks for the hints with Camera Raw 4.2 CJ Swartz, I did pay very close attention and made some adjustments to the RAW files in Camera Raw, using the HSL/grayscale sliders, but because the files go into Photoshop afterwards, I prefer to do major adjustments there where I can localize them. I have a similar but not so big of a problem with T-Shirts also, I will begin to edit these this evening so hopefully will be able to put all this help to use, thanks again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching