RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What is the new way of retouching skin?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:41 AM

Re: What is the new way of retouching skin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint123 View Post
The 4 steps you attached, is the way I retouch. I think it’s still used a lot still, because I see in a lot of fashion ads (PRADA, D&G) that are still using that heavy plastic look.
A long time is spent on those ads, they use D&B to even the skin.
You can't destroy pixels and get that sort of result on files of that size
and quality. Considering how much it costs to place a ad in one of those magazine they dont mind spending some time and money on the retouching

There's nothing wrong with retouching the way your doing it but thats not the way its done in a high-end environment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
The 4 steps you attached, is the way I retouch. I think it’s still used a lot still, because I see in a lot of fashion ads (PRADA, D&G) that are still using that heavy plastic look.
You must look at fashion ads heavily under the influence... Not blurred, ever. Like stated, say you want to run a full page ad in, say InStyle, it's costing them $116,400. The photographer and makeup artist are paid well as well as the others on the team to make the ad, including models. So, paying $40,000 maybe 40-60 hours in retouching and release fees is a drop in the bucket and nobody is accepting blurred images. These images are often repurposed also and made into point of purchase displays and billboards so the file has to look right and well printed in a mag as well as 10x lifesize....
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 10:45 AM

Imagnomic is an amazing software, and leaves all the wrinkes and texture if done right, then to go in and remove by hand. I do use it for mag print.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 10:56 AM

because I see in a lot of fashion ads (PRADA, D&G) that are still using that heavy plastic look. ! crikey. One way or another its evened out manually. There are sometimes plastic fantastic (mens mag) stuff where we still airbrush the hell out of everything and then drop it back, but its still done manually, no quick fix. You'll rarely find that crap on the pages of Vogue (even US Vogue! ). If you do see it there, everyone who knows anything is taking notes "where the hell was that done, Ill try and remember never to work with them". Skin has a complex pattern and you got to paint it in generally
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 11:07 AM

http://www.jeffstephens.com this guy is a skin god. And hey look at his client list ... Spanish Vogue! HA!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtowle View Post
I actually do some of that work for some high end new york beauty clients. What I do is a bit of a cheat , but it saves hours. Don't get me wrong , it still takes hours, but I first run Imagenomic Portraiture software(takes some learning on this software) then I do the remaining blemishes pixel by pixel. No one has ever known the difference. This software is amazing, but something I like to keep as secret as possible. We don' twant soccer mom photographers getting ahold of it.
Is the Imagenomic Portraiture software a Photoshop action/plug-in or a separate program that complements Photoshop? Does the program do anything that cannot be achieved in Photoshop?

steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 12:43 PM

WOW, I never new that it could take 40-60 hours to retouch a picture. No wonder they look so amazing when you see them in magazines.

So dodge and burn is the best way to retouch. I have used D&B before but not to that level. I’m guessing that a really skilled retouching could change someone’s face and body just by adding shadows and highlights, as well as perfecting that person’s skin?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
WOW, I never new that it could take 40-60 hours to retouch a picture. No wonder they look so amazing when you see them in magazines.

So dodge and burn is the best way to retouch. I have used D&B before but not to that level. I’m guessing that a really skilled retouching could change someone’s face and body just by adding shadows and highlights, as well as perfecting that person’s skin?
40-60 hours seems like a long session for a single image. Is that really how long it takes to do a complete "makeover" of a hi-rez fashion or cosmetic ad file? Billing per hour would be in a range of $60-300 per hour, depending on what coast you're on I suppose.

That must be literally working a few pixels at a time and perfecting them to match the overall photo
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 01:20 PM

I don't know; I've had images that were a challenge, but even ad projects where you're creating something more or less from scratch should only take 20-30 hours at the outside. I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around spending 60 hours on anyone image that isn't a digital painting that had no original image...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 02:23 PM

You may have trouble, but it's the norm. Depends on the image and what is involved with composited elements, etc of course, but the thing is, you don't get to decide when it's done, the Art Director/Creative Director and Client does. Many rounds and many proofs. Art direction changes direction, file evolves, it's not cut and dry. We are talking ads here, not editorials btw.

Typical spread, make up client. Left of page: close-up of beauty, retouched heavily, makeup applied, hair perfected, colors matched to actual product, hairline extended for bleed, new hair added. Right page: Lifestyle image (3/4 shot or full body) same as before, add these legs, make dress flow over shoulder as if blowing in the wind as per AD comp. Background: pick up supplied main image, composite elements, fix perspective, colorize as per comp. Match blues in eye shadow. Product: floats above panel of color in the same color family of whole ad. Retouch to death, add drop shadows and effects, match to supplied product in job bag. In-house round before round 1 shown to client. Tweaks made, reprint at size for showing ad agency first round. Repeat rounds as per AD mark-ups -- finally where art director happy with it to show client. Creative director happens by meeting, spies art. Says to AD "What are you thinking doing that? Make another select for the lifestyle. Blue? What are you nuts, go aqua. That product is a mock up, the actual product packaging is going to be green". Make those changes. Client finally sees it. "Hmmm. Looks pretty good, but push that in over here, soften the texture near her lip. Her lipstick looks to vibrant and this is an eyeshadow/lash ad so lets make them more nude and less bright. Let's go back to the original legs, shoes should be more gold, less bronze looking. The copy won't read here so lets darken that area slightly so it stands off the page a bit more. Eyelashes need to longer and fuller, pop the eyes. Add hair here." repeat. could be a month before it's released.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching