RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Shedding some light on pay rates.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:50 PM

Shedding some light on pay rates.

I'm retouching for editorial photographers who shoot celebrities, politicians, and CEO's for magazines like Time and Fortune. I'm billing $75 per hour. That's here in NYC. The budget usually only covers a few hours. What about you guys? Some exact numbers would be beneficial for everyone I think. Perhaps you could list the rate for hour and typical budget allowed for one image, and your specific industry, ie advertising, editorial, weddings.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2007, 09:35 AM

Re: Shedding some light on pay rates.

I'm in a very rural area of Florida so the market demands lower prices. I charge $40 per hour, minimum 1 hour. With each draft, I submit a statement of current charges. My services include logo creation (or cleanup), camera ready art for specialty items, prepress design, layout, scanning, color correction etc. I bill all of this separately from production costs for printing, but I do mark up my printing costs on things like brochures, posters, postcards etc. about 40%.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2007, 02:58 PM

I charge per image and I am also in NYC. I don't like charging per hour because Im not one to keep my eye on the clock, and I tend to multi-task all the time.
I deal primarily with semi-pro/pro photographers, not agencies.
I really dont have a set price because every image is different. It tends to range between $20-$35 for editorial. Beauty, I always charge a lot more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Thanks, wish we could have a few more responses.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2007, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedomo View Post
Thanks, wish we could have a few more responses.
I'm a hobbyist Although the thought is there to start doing it at a higher level.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2007, 03:14 AM

I deal with the general public. I have found here in Oz that art and craft (?) can command a low price or a ridiculously high price. There seems to be no medium level. Some restorers here are charging a minimum $A45.00 no matter what condition your image is in. I guess what they pick up on the merry-go-round they lose on the razzle-dazzle (Oz slang). If you say, I charge this much per hour, the customer says how many hours? So I work on the idea of minimum, medium, maximum restoration/reproduction and have a flyer to outline what those categories entail. It starts at $A25 minimum and goes upwards from there depending on the image. This usually involves a detailed (with loupe) discussion over the counter so that people can really see for themselves the damage to a photo. The worst part is, as restorers, sticking to the clients brief!! Gee, but don't I hate not doing a perfect job because of $'s.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2007, 01:46 PM

It's kinda stupid if i postet what a regular charge pr hour would be for me, with the different currency and stuff.

But if you go after the bigmac index. I woulds say 75 dollars an hour for editorial work sound to be a regular price.
Ofc commercial would be a lot higher.

My rate is about 113 us dollars an hour now, but the dollar is very low now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2007, 01:54 AM

I charge on the job.
You need to be able to charge for all the experince you have.
So a tough job that not many people can do can be charged at a higher rate than and easy job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 AM

Interesting to see different rates across cultures (this is an international site or maybe I'm wrong and it's parochial?) and good that we're tolerant about other people's postings. I actually find it interesting to see what's happening around the world in what is a skill acquired that can be accessed globally by consumers if they are on the net. Never would have thought the concept stupid.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2007, 06:11 PM

Well, I've only just started learning how to retouch and not very experienced yet. The work I've done so far (for some magazines and a photographer) I've charged about 35 euro's an hour for. That's about 50$.

For studio work, layouts/design, which I've been doing for quite a while now I think my company charges 120 euro's an hour, less for some companies though. That's about 170$. For one print-ready ad we charge a minimal of 4 hours. Obviously when it's just an adapt we only charge 30 mins for those.

The most money we charge if for doing guidelines. Just did some for Glenfiddich and a new styleguide for Sony, which cost them basically a shedload of money :P
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching