RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Let's try this one... Don Cheadle, how to improve?

Old 10-22-2007, 05:01 PM

Let's try this one... Don Cheadle, how to improve?

Since I didn't get much of a response from the Lauder post I've decided to use this image of Don Cheadle. You can see the before and after by clicking here
www.domophoto.com/don
And here are the high res downloads to inspire you (since high res images are so damn rare to work on in forums)
www.domophoto.com/don/022_before_hires.jpg
www.domophoto.com/don/022_hires.jpg

I'd love to try to use this example to try to achieve the same depth of Jill Greenburg's images. Pretty big challenge, and I don't think the lighting difference should impact the ability to pull it off. Any other suggestions I'd love to hear.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2007, 05:47 PM

Re: Let's try this one... Don Cheadle, how to improve?

I like what you've done, but I would have taken a little (not all) yellow out of his eyes, and left a little of the pink in his lips.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2007, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I have to agree, I'll play around with it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2007, 09:31 PM

Gotta do something about that color. Looks like spent his vacation at Chernobyl. The shadows are plugged pretty badly but there's some detail there to be uncovered.

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/cheedle_sm.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2007, 09:37 PM

Thanks sooo much for your efforts.
I can certainly see that you are a fanatic for color as am I. I find it to be the most difficult thing in retouching. And although I sometimes don't know what is right; I KNOW what is wrong when I see it, which is why I used this ultra saturated image that I struggled with.
On this one, for my tastes, I think its gone too cold. I guess its artistic interpretation in the end, but the wall in the back is a white seamless background so I was using that as a judge for neutrality. Never thought of making it cooler. I think I'll go back and see what it looks like in between; for me that may be the perfect balance. Since this wasn't digital, I might have messed with the curves in an uneven way to begin with (scanning) meaning that while the gray is neutral, color shifts could have been imparted to the brighter and darker colors. Thanks again.

Last edited by seedomo; 10-22-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedomo View Post
Thanks sooo much for your efforts.
I can certainly see that you are a fanatic for color as am I. I find it to be the most difficult thing in retouching. And although I sometimes don't know what is right; I KNOW what is wrong when I see it, which is why I used this ultra saturated image that I struggled with.
On this one, for my tastes, I think its gone too cold. I guess its artistic interpretation in the end, but the wall in the back is a white seamless background so I was using that as a judge for neutrality. Never thought of making it cooler. I think I'll go back and see what it looks like in between; for me that may be the perfect balance. Since this wasn't digital, I might have messed with the curves in an uneven way to begin with (scanning) meaning that while the gray is neutral, color shifts could have been imparted to the brighter and darker colors. Thanks again.
It wasn't my intention to do a whole job on this guy. Masking out backgrounds to neutralize them is pretty much a no brainer, but it does take time, which I chose not to expend.

However, the face tones were a severe problem. After reading your post I took another look and decided that there could be a slight magenta adjustment, but just to ease off the yellow cast. But skin, Black or white or anywhere in-between, is never red. Not even "pink" little babies. Black skin tones can be pain due to the range and variety, but some basic rules can guide you. In general, magenta and yellow will come in at similar ratios to each other as caucasian skin, though yellow can be considerably higher. The lightest you'll see either is probably around 20% (subject to change from image to image, of course). But cyan is much higher in proportion to magenta, usually at least 50%, sometimes as high as 90% or even equal magenta. It's usually a judgement call whether the problem is too much magenta or too little cyan. In this case, the both channels were out of whack. Three random samples (both cheeks and bridge of his nose) give me 21C, 58m; 30C,82M; and 17C, 60M. The adjusted values are 27C,48M; 39C, 77M; and 28C,55M.

In addition, I did a down-and-dirty desaturation on the background. I think it's believable. Whether it's accurate...? Never met the man, couldn't say.

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/cheedle2_sm.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2007, 08:30 PM

Re: Let's try this one... Don Cheadle, how to impr

Just completed a new version. Trying to use the overlay layer to dodge and burn to carve the face and put the light into the eyes. Also altered the color a lot. What do you all think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 022_final.jpg (93.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 022 before_hires.jpg (90.1 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by seedomo; 10-23-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2007, 09:40 PM

Found the white cap to be the first thing that draws the eye, tried to make it less obvious by blurring it a little bit. Here is my effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Don-copy.jpg (87.7 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2007, 11:06 PM

Came back and looked at my image again still looks like it has too much red in it for my liking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Don-copy-copy.jpg (91.2 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
Came back and looked at my image again still looks like it has too much red in it for my liking.
Just wanted to address the tones in your two images. I'm curious what is causing the overall image degradation, curves, levels? Really not trying to bash ya, just hoping to help ya out to improve the result. The quality has really taken a dive here.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching