RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The demystification of Jill Greenberg!!!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:47 PM

Re: The demystification of Jill Greenberg!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.aj View Post
if i was jill i woulnt regret anything. you are being way too sensitive, man...that is what is wrong with the army today...too many mothers. Toughen up a little bit, so what the kids are crying, kids cry, who cares. What matters is she got a shot you will never be good enough to get, and she did it by taking candy from a baby. Maybe you can learn something from her...maybe not.
hehe...! So, I'm a mother? hehe...wow! You are truly mature in your way of discussing, I must admit it was really funny to read! To debate on your statements, Jill is a VERY good photographer. But sometimes people go a bit too far to achieve good results!

Yes, I admit, I'm not even close to her results, but so are probably everyone else in here! What is it to learns from Jill? Well, that going too far is really too far! As a father I wouldn't let anyone do this too my son, so the parents to these kids should also think twice!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 PM

That's just the point. The parents of those kids consented. They probably even got good monetary compensation. What would be the difference if Jill jumped around a corner and yelled "BOO!!!"?

Does it emotionally scar the kids for life? No. In fact, I bet none of them even remember that day. So to say it's going too far is silly. Especially to label it as exploitation. If all the times I've been exploited in my life was because someone stole my lollipop, I'd be a happy happy man.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2007, 03:09 AM

just cut the crap guys. Everytime I tried to find a tutorial about Jill Greenberg's work it always ended in controversy about her crying children work. This thread started out very nice and this is actually my first post and I joined because of this thread, so helpful thanks to Pellepiano, Sistere, and Enigmaphoto.
Take the debate about her crying children work somewhere please! I believe we have enough discussion of that.

Btw, when you reply there is a small note on the top of the box, quote:
"(If your reply is off-topic, please start a new thread instead)"

Need to say clearer than that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2007, 06:19 AM

there is nothing more honest than face of a child could be

saby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ocsi.jpg (97.6 KB, 147 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepiano View Post
Dodge and Burn usually refers to the tools with the same name, while PWL is when you have a layer filled with 50% grey , set to Overlay, and paint with black or white. Both methods do the same thing but the Dodge and Burn tools have some extra choices like , only burn midtones and so on.
why filled with 50% Grey??
50% grey will be invisible in the overlay mode so you dont have to fill the layer with 50% grey. Just a new layer set to overlay is enough.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2007, 03:56 PM

^^ It's helpful to me personally when I want to view only the overlay layer to see how my brushstrokes look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2007, 04:36 PM

I dont use a grey layer myself but I once read a good explanation on why its used ( that I now have forgot ). The difference could be how photoshop handles transparency in different blend modes, opposed to a filled area.

Havent noticed any difference when testing though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transoptic View Post
That's just the point. The parents of those kids consented. They probably even got good monetary compensation. What would be the difference if Jill jumped around a corner and yelled "BOO!!!"?

Does it emotionally scar the kids for life? No. In fact, I bet none of them even remember that day. So to say it's going too far is silly. Especially to label it as exploitation. If all the times I've been exploited in my life was because someone stole my lollipop, I'd be a happy happy man.
Yes, the parents are to blame as well! That I'm agreeing on! But to say that it's ok to do it since the kids can't remember it later in life?!

We agree to disagree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeclose View Post
just cut the crap guys. Everytime I tried to find a tutorial about Jill Greenberg's work it always ended in controversy about her crying children work. This thread started out very nice and this is actually my first post and I joined because of this thread, so helpful thanks to Pellepiano, Sistere, and Enigmaphoto.
Take the debate about her crying children work somewhere please! I believe we have enough discussion of that.

Btw, when you reply there is a small note on the top of the box, quote:
"(If your reply is off-topic, please start a new thread instead)"

Need to say clearer than that?
Don't be so full of your self here...BOOHOO...You look for Jill tutorials! Not my problem you can't find them? I mentioned this as a side thing in my opening post when starting this thread! So cut the BS when you call this off topic! This has nothing to do with off topic since it's her techniques/workflow that's being discussed in photo/retouching!

I admit that I diverted the discussions a little bit when I mentioned this situation earlier, but it's nothing to cry over is it? This is the last time I'm going to mention it! so wuhu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saby View Post
there is nothing more honest than face of a child could be

saby
Nice feel over it, sab!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2007, 01:11 AM

thanx Gerry

saby

Last edited by saby; 11-19-2007 at 02:26 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-27-2007, 09:31 PM

I think my latest photo-shoot resulted in a somewhat 'Greenburgian' shot:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2280/...559b560524.jpg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching