RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Re-sizing without losing detail

Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 AM

Lightbulb Re-sizing without losing detail

Does anyone know a good tutorial or articles I can look at for this? I would just like to find a basic method people use because the way I do it I lose a lot of detail in my images. I am probably not sharpening correctly or my processes are not in order, ie.. sharpen before re-sizing, etc...

Thanks for any help.. I need to be rid of my frustrations lol, well at least some of them

Mike

P.S. In case I am confusing you I wanted to clarify my question a little. My process of re-sizing starts with editing raw images in PS.. then once I have that image I do some touch ups and re-size it again to the size I want for the web. Normally the results are too soft and I would like to find a way to retain more detail in skin, etc.. I figured people must have there own recipe on how they do this so hopefully you will share with me

Last edited by surfingcali; 11-06-2007 at 03:39 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2007, 09:37 AM

Re: Re-sizing without losing detail

hi,
I am just a novice with photoshop.... but maybe i can give you my thoughts...
these are my thoughts.....
1. resizing downward .... how much you decrease the size of the picture your always going to lose data... the act of resizing you throway pixal data!! the more you throw away (the more you decrease the size from orginal) ... well the more details your going to lose.... so try not to decrease the size too much....
2. now a very important factor is the the format your saving it in.... now bmp or tif or png... non lossy format.. they retain the orginal quality when saving- no problems .... however... jpg is a lossy format...!!! if the compression ratio is too high/the quality setting to low ...... then you can get issues like bluriness, color shifts, lost of details, artifacts...etc..... if i need to save in jpg i generally go with a low compressions ratio like 70% or lower ...... or if were talking quality setting nuber, i like to stay above 9 ........ the very least maybe higher.. you may want to experiment changing the numbers and seeing what the results are...

well those are my thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingcali View Post
Does anyone know a good tutorial or articles I can look at for this? I would just like to find a basic method people use because the way I do it I lose a lot of detail in my images. I am probably not sharpening correctly or my processes are not in order, ie.. sharpen before re-sizing, etc...

Thanks for any help.. I need to be rid of my frustrations lol, well at least some of them

Mike

P.S. In case I am confusing you I wanted to clarify my question a little. My process of re-sizing starts with editing raw images in Photoshop.. then once I have that image I do some touch ups and re-size it again to the size I want for the web. Normally the results are too soft and I would like to find a way to retain more detail in skin, etc.. I figured people must have there own recipe on how they do this so hopefully you will share with me
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2007, 09:04 AM

photozoom pro
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2007, 06:54 PM

If you're using CS2 or CS3, you have the Smart Object feature available. It's my understanding that you can resize all you want and it's non-destructive.

Diana
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkjumper View Post
Lol.. you work for them? It is actually the opposite of what I am trying to do, just find the best working method to decrease my images for the web and lose the least of amount of detail. I see some people who have images on the web and the detail is amazing but I don't understand what they are doing to achieve this? I am assuming there are formulas like sharpen first, then decrease, the sharpen, then decrease... please note this is not real but just an example of what I am talking about

well if anyone has advice on a site that discusses this or can help I would really appreciate it.

Take care!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2007, 11:45 PM

Obviously, you can't retain detail when downsizing. What you are really trying to do is retain subjective sharpness--ie., the detail has been lost, but what remains looks consistently crisp regardless of how much you downsized.

So first downsize the image. I use the bicubic sharper setting. Then sharpen. For the sharpening I use smart sharpen in photoshop with radius 0.4 pixels and strength 40%, remove lens blur. I also use the shadow and highlight fade controls. The shadow fade prevents unnecessary boosting of noise--50% fade, 40% width, 1 radius. The highlight fade prevents clipping of small highlights--100% fade, 50% width, 1 radius.

This should look good on a 72dpi monitor. Of course you can experiment with other settings (particularly strength and radius) to suite taste.

I've found through experimentation, that an image will be judged sharp, but not over sharpened, if it has had sharpening done with a radius about 1/150th of an inch. That's where the 0.4 pixel comes from--it's 1/180th of an inch on a 72dpi monitor.

I've found this same rule of thumb (~1/150") works for prints as well. In that case, the radius in pixels has to scale with print size.

Bart

Last edited by bart_hickman; 11-13-2007 at 11:50 PM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 07:07 AM

Hi, I think maybe you can try to use "save for web" under the "file" windows at photoshop, there u can choice different quality for web. I used choice this one for small size file and the quality much better than normal Jpg.
You can just try it!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching