RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Interesting German Photographer

Old 11-09-2007, 08:52 AM

Re: Interesting German Photographer

ahh, i think i know what my problem is....too many portraits lately! maybe i'm just personally getting bombarded with them, retouching wise as well! plus i have a bit of a hangover.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2007, 09:03 AM

Photography = light

The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê ("representation by means of lines" or "drawing"), together meaning "drawing with light." Traditionally, the product of photography has been called a photograph, commonly shortened to photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2007, 09:32 AM

I understand that photography = light, but how the photographer chooses to use the light really emphasizes their creativity and skill. I think we've all seen many images that are deemed impressive mainly because of the impeccable retouching. I enjoyed Ralph Hargarten's portraits because with his use of light, I imagine that many of the images are quite beautiful and interesting to look at even prior to retouching. I think the retouching he has done brings out the beauty of his images instead of creates it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Man you guys you are missing the whole f%^&ing point! The guy that started this thread is not looking for your opinion...he is just wondering how it was done. It doesn't matter if you are a premodonna and you think this is bad or overdone, or anything because this guy is famous and you are not. So love it or hate it, it doesn't matter. He just is trying to figure it out...so can we help him or not?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2007, 11:11 AM

sorry aj...let me help a bit, don't know photography, but as far as the retouching, on the jpeg example posted....i would desat. a bit overall, mask out the skin, desat. it a lot. then throw a curve in color mode on top, pick your monotone color of choice and push it in, then make another curve on top of that, in luminosity mode, and punch up the contrast between highlights and shadow, midtones. (then do you D&B, softlight layer or whatever you do, underneath your color moves) to bring out the highlights and shadows, however drastic you like them to be.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2007, 11:20 AM

@KR

See that is what I am talking about, what a great response! That is exactly what this guy and anyone who started to read this thread was looking for. You are a good man, or woman, can't ever tell in text. Thanks for your time and your help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2007, 11:38 AM

aj: aaah...by discussions, many things can be said about workflow...we have discussed lights and a bit of retouching as well...what more can be said? the technique surrounding these pictures as more about paint with light...IMO...using dodge/burn on 50%grey softlight/overlay layer...

I understand your concern, but I think we all want to say our opinions about the photographers skills as well
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
Photography = light

The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê ("representation by means of lines" or "drawing"), together meaning "drawing with light." Traditionally, the product of photography has been called a photograph, commonly shortened to photo.
k, how did you get the greek letters to show up like that?....you'd have an easy time getting around Greece, but then again English is their 2nd language these days(it was French for the longest time)...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 AM

maybe ant is greek? he is probably dancing to the song "sorba" or something as we speak
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2007, 11:57 AM

Copy and paste. Not greek. Great book http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorba_the_Greek_(novel)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching