RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Need help with this white skin effect.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:29 PM

Re: Need help with this effect.

Matthew...what you did, I did before but it`s not the same result as the photos I posted. There is something missing....when converting to B&W the result is a bit grey and if you want to lighten it up it will burn the texture and it wouldn`t be uniform.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 06:33 PM

I think the original photo needs to be uniform lightened and than added some shadows here and there. I`ll try searching a photo with uniform soft light and less shadows and see what I can do to it and maybe we can figure it out together. Thank you Matt!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2007, 09:44 PM

i only took 10 mins to show an example, so yes there is alot missing to the photo. use the airbrush to lighten areas. dont forget that the rest of the photo plays into the image, like the white feathers on the boys head, and all white clothing. the photos are very strange and magical in the first place. so in a way the contrast of color also plays an effect. what i might sugest is at least add white makeup to the eyesbrows and eyelashes, hopfuly you can at least buy that at a store were you live. and then do the rest in photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2007, 12:47 AM

Matthew... Interesting.

You might be onto something considering even though I'm no MUA that purple color bleed does not look like it could be fabricated with expensive makeup.

So, if I were trying what you suggest, how would I get a believable paint job? It seems like the opacity is a little stronger in the shadow areas... Or would it have more to do with the contours of the face?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2007, 12:28 PM

I found more suggesting examples here. This artist is using the technique in most of his photography. Check it out maybe some ideas will come from watching...and to mention that this is photoshop no doubt. http://douart.ru/
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2007, 02:16 PM

This is a nice effect when it's done well. I've had a few images that I've done that mimic this effect. A retoucher I worked with Chris Heins did the original edits on this file, but I applied Matthew's technique as described to get closer to the look that qubic is describing. You may find that you need to fish around for the layer settings that allow the B&W layer to look realistic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CH_Julia_1.1.jpg (57.8 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg CH_Julia_2.1.jpg (63.8 KB, 244 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2007, 02:41 PM

something we need to all remember is that the photo cant have too much dark shadows or it wont work. so in mseydels image the original images does not fit the style of the shots in the first place, the images that was givin originaly have a very magical look to them in the first place, even if the skin was normal color the photos woulsd look very interesting in the first place.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qubic View Post
I found more suggesting examples here. This artist is using the technique in most of his photography. Check it out maybe some ideas will come from watching...and to mention that this is photoshop no doubt. http://douart.ru/
the images almost look computer generated. 3d images. they are very cool though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2007, 03:04 PM

Is this similar to what you want. I did not go with the purple tint, don't like it, although it would be easy to aim the face color that way. I think that this keeps the skin texture but yet looks like a white make up was applied. The lips could be desaturated or treated differently if you like since it is masked from the skin

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White-makeup-LL.jpg (99.5 KB, 192 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2007, 03:52 PM

lauleen... this is exactly what happens when trying to whiten too much...it overexposes. The white has to be mat and unifrom.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching