RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to make this bath-picture in photoshop?

Old 11-23-2007, 11:29 PM

Re: How to make this bath-picture in photoshop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainam View Post
Everytime I see the possibilities of 3D, I wonder what I am doing in Photoshop.
I even believe that more and more 2D (like advertising ads etc...) will be (and are) created in 3D programs.
Retouching photos is in the field of Photoshop, but all the more complicated compositions....I believe 3D is the way to go.
this is true, and i see more and more compositions using 3D and often times it is very obvious and poorly done which makes me miss the photo compositions of jeff schewe...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
this is true, and i see more and more compositions using 3D and often times it is very obvious and poorly done which makes me miss the photo compositions of jeff schewe...
Sure, but...

At the beginning of the 70's, traditional airbrush was also poor. But hey, look at some good airbrush of the late 90's.
At the beginning of the 90's photoshop (and other software) was also very poor (I even got fired, because I refused to work with that lousy program and preferred to do it by hand).
Traditional commercial artwork nowadays has become very rare.

At the beginning of the new century 3D was maybe also poor, but at the end of the century it will be fantastic!

That last sentence is not completely correct indeed, but...sure you get my point
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2007, 03:40 PM

I've been noticing more and more retouching houses here in LA are adapting 3D as part of their workflow. It's very difficult to find good retouchers with equally good 3D skills, so they're actually looking for 3D artists to do all the necessary 3D works and have their in-house retouchers to take care the rest of the job.
I was at the Autodesk Maya users group conference at Siggraph this past August, and there was a Chrysler's representative there giving a very elaborate presenting on how Chrysler has fully adapted 3D in their production pipeline. Basically, they no longer need photographers to shoot their products.
There is good Photoshop and there is bad Photoshop. 3D is the same. It's all based on the skill level of the artists. If you think that you could tell what's real and what's fake just by looking at it, Autodesk has page just for you to test how much you know.

http://www.autodesk.com/eng/etc/fake_or_foto/index.html

I got 9 out of 10...the one I got it wrong happened to be the most obvious.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2007, 12:34 PM

I think that this could be done almost completely in Photoshop. I had a strikingly similar project recently where I needed to create a block of ice to be used in an image. I started in 3D to build a really rough previs, as well as ultimately map the reflections...this was a great way to make sure that my perspective and blocking was right, and that the final piece would be realistic. The previs image started out with the concept of 'amber ice', which was ultimatley scrapped. Then the rest was just custom brushes in Photoshop to fine tune it. I don't view 3D as competition, I see it as a tool to be used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg previs3.jpg (33.7 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Blue_JG.jpg (36.8 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseydel View Post
I think that this could be done almost completely in Photoshop. I had a strikingly similar project recently where I needed to create a block of ice to be used in an image. I started in 3D to build a really rough previs, as well as ultimately map the reflections...this was a great way to make sure that my perspective and blocking was right, and that the final piece would be realistic. The previs image started out with the concept of 'amber ice', which was ultimatley scrapped. Then the rest was just custom brushes in Photoshop to fine tune it. I don't view 3D as competition, I see it as a tool to be used.
Nice work. Usually, no 3D press works come straight from a render. They all get fine tuned with Photoshop to some degree unless you're extremely skilled in rendering. Depending on the type of retouching you do, 3D can play a big role in bringing your ideas to reality.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 AM

#D is great but it is still time consuming to create the original geometry and then set up the lighting conditions, do a render find it is wrong and do it again, and again some times. Also most of my 3D work, like Pixel Monkey said is then posted edited in PS, often to blend back in and give it more reality.

What 3D does give you on top of hard to achieve effects, is the ability to change the lights later or the angle and render again, to set up the photo shoot again to get the angle change is now going to cost and take a lot of time.

Where I work we do this with vehicles a lot. Initial development is time consuming and costly but location changes and feature\accessories changes are the areas where the money and time are saved.

Sorry got a bit off topic.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching