RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

make a senior face

Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 AM

Re: make a senior face

Re: Edge's fantastic aging work

As stated, it's a demo, not a final result, so my comments are not directed specifically at that result--but rather towards people who might want to use that demo as a "template" of sorts for their own work) that in addition to the already mentioned eye work that needs to be added (yellowing and veins), one of the things that happens to eyes as you age, is that the brow area (the bit a woman would put the "highlighting" shade on, if applying eyeshadow) begins to sag, and droop down over the eyelid (which is why women want eyelifts! ) I'm a young looking 40, and I can already see how my very large eyes are beginning to "shrink" because this skin is beginning to sag down a bit. My mother, with similar eyes, is in her late 50's, and I can see her eyes "shrinking" even more.

SO--if doing eyework, don't forget to "shrink" the eye area, by pulling the brow area down over the upper lid--in much the same way that Edge created jowls on the model (beautiful jowls, btw! ).

Also--remember that noses and ears continute to grow throughout your life--at least, the cartilgate does--so in aging someone a great deal, a bit of verisimilitude can be added by at least drooping the tip of the nose a bit.

Finally, don't forget the lips! As a photographer, when working with models, I usually do their hair and makeup--and a woman in her early 30's can look just like a woman in her early 20's to me--right up until I pull out the lip brush, and start in on her lips. The lips of a younger woman will have fewer fine lines in them--they'll be plumper, and firmer--whereas by the early 30's, they've lost a little elasticity, and developed very, very fine lines (almost imperceptible, unless you're examining them as closely as a makeup artist). They also "catch" at the brush more, as you paint on color, because they're no longer so firm as they once were. So when lip gloss is used--this means much more retouching is required, afterwards--because suddenly every one of those tiny lines becomes apparent! (And by 40--well, my lips still look very plump and firm and line free from a normal viewing distance--again, I look young for my age--and, as a redhead, have stayed out of the sun all my life--but get up close--and there are many more fine lines visible--and my lips have considerably less firmness under a lipbrush than a 30-year old.)

Keeping in mind the easily overlooked details like that, will help an aging retouch look more realistic!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2008, 11:51 PM

Re: make a senior face

funny we are talking about how to add wrinkles and not take them away.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching