RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Bridal Retouch - On the right track?

Old 11-29-2007, 05:48 AM

Re: Bridal Retouch - On the right track?

I tried to keep looking reasonably natural. I used a very small amount of soft focus on the skin, highlighted the eyes (removed the excessive glare in the right eye), lightened the teeth, burned the edges of the mouth, applied an orange photo filter to warm but also reduce the brightness of the cheek a little. Did a final levels and curves adjustment and then did a selective sharpen of the eyes. Might have cropped it too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wife%20portcopy.jpg (102.8 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by Cassidy; 11-29-2007 at 06:19 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2007, 07:46 AM

very nice Alison!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2007, 09:16 AM

Here is a sketch version.
Cassidy I like yours.
With the small version file a little blurring is good, but on a full version it probably is not necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bride-sketch.jpg (94.1 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2007, 12:10 PM

I'm in agreement with most everyone else re going easier on the blurring and softening but I have another weird point to make. The way the picture is cropped, with no hint of a dress, makes it look like she's nude to me. Maybe you can crop the bottom portion?

:-\
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2007, 12:48 PM

wow, hope you got an answer from all this. seems like a subjective discussion. I won't bother with my sample, you already got quite a bit to choose from. the after image does seem a little dark, but heck, some photographers have a style for being dark, kind of a rembrandt. beautiful woman and you did a beautiful job. I like to keep things realistic, and would suggest not to smooth so much, but I think the final product is all up to you. just my two cents worth.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2007, 04:07 PM

Thanks for all the replies!
I was using some of the techniques/principles I picked up from Versace's Welcome to Oz, so it wasn't quite a straight forward bridal retouch. Probably should have mentioned that. Was shooting for a little more of a cinematic/fine art type of retouch, if that clarifies a bit of what look I was trying to reproduce. (As an aside, quick review - I thought the book was a great resource, lots of good info if you're into the fine art type of look for your photos, however the info comes at the cost of having to read one of the most typo and errata filled books in recent memory)

Some quick replies to above: Photo is full frame, so no cropping decisions made. Looking at the photo now (away for a day or so, instead of staring at it for a while during the retouch) does seem a little too smooth. Will definitely try to keep a little more background detail also next time.

Thanks again - keep the comments coming if there's any more - I still have a ton to learn!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2007, 12:56 PM

A bit inbetween here.. smooth, but not too fake. More vibrant colors for a little more pop, but not over the top.

Adjusted contrast and balance in lightroom (it's just faster..), reduced some of the noise with Neat Image, then went to work adjusting color balance and vibrance.

Past that, smoothed out the skin ever so lightly with over-painting.. then added a 50% gray layer on overlay and used black/white to bring out highlights and shadows a bit without destroying skin tone (which dodge/burn techniques tend to do).

After much fighting with getting it display in my browser properly.. I've given up, hopefully you see what I do when it's in photoshop.. for whatever reason it doesn't display correctly when I upload it somewhere. There should be more color in the cheeks and face, but oh well.. still looks ok.

Kyle

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...ifeport-12.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2007, 11:34 AM

Wink Re: Bridal Retouch - On the right track?

Hello Mucker,

Beautiful young lady you have there. I like where you were heading on the shot but I also think you took it a bit too far..

I'm new here on the RetouchPRO site but decided to throw my version into the ring... It is kind of challenging working on low res images and trying to make them look really good, but I am anyhow attaching my version on your lovely wife.

The whole world is a critic. Everyday I see what I think is terrible stuff and turn around and find work that is amazing and wish I could do the same. But like in photography where there are certain techniques and styles, and supposed right ways and wrong ways... ultimately it all comes down to what you like, what you are satisfied with,... and how your subject (or client) feel about the final result. If they are happy and you are happy... you have won the war -- no matter what anyone else has to say.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wife_portrait.jpg (41.9 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2007, 06:31 PM

I think every person created a much improved photograph of a beautiful bride. If I knew how to do any of these versions I would be very proud. Can any one tell me (I'm new and not good at these things) how to start a new thread? I would like to show you a photo and get ideas how to begin.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2007, 11:05 PM

Thumbs up Re: Bridal Retouch - On the right track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
Mucker
First thing I did was change the crop to try to get the eye to follow the way you suggested. Then I adjusted for white balance.
I burned the background.
Did a gausian blur on a color layer (had some hot spots from being jpeg'ed and shrunk).
I sharpened the eyes and added catch-lights, I also took some color out of the whites.
Evened out the skin tones.
Changed the curves.
Used the healing brush on the 3 tiny little blemishes.

I am curious how close I came to the skin tone. Did I go too pink?

Oh, and by the way, yes you went too far. You made your picture look like an oil painting, very nice if thats what you were going for. I have the same problem. I always find I've done too much when I go back and look after a time. I suggest going into each of your layers and lowering the opacity to 50%. Go back and look at it later and see what you think.
I thought it needed to be rotated too!!! :o}
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching