RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Removing Unwanted Reflection

Old 12-05-2007, 11:02 PM

Re: Removing Unwanted Reflection

Wanted to try this again after misreading the original post and attempting to retouch everything except what was to be retouched. Think this is a little better, but not perfect.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doorscreen.jpg (173.5 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2007, 12:50 AM

Just a thought.. You might try a HDR tonemapped version of your photo if there are more harsh shadows and highlights.

This was tonemapped at the default settings using Photomatix.
Plus Cloning and healing and adding back shadows on separate layers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3tonemapped.jpg (99.7 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2007, 01:45 PM

try a polarizing filter when you shoot
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2007, 06:15 PM

Granny, 'Monday, DCobb, Sweetlight & jadams:

Granny & DCobb, you hit the nail on the head with what I'm after & 'Monday, thanks for emphasizing the Patch tool, which I discovered is on my PSCS. BTW, how much time did it take you people to improve that photo? I'm beginning to think it may be better to turn these kinds of problems over to a professional retoucher, rather than spending so much time, myself.

Is there a "National Retouchers Association" that certifies professional retouchers, or do I just go to someone who hangs out a shingle & work with them? I can't burn up the time I have spent on this photo when I have hundreds more to do. IOW, I'm realizing my limitations. OTOH, it may be too expensive to hire a retoucher. I have a dilemma.

Sweetlight, I used a Rolleiflex twin-lens reflex (film) camera. The photo was taken 30 years, ago. The 6x6 cm. transparency was scanned on my Epson Perfection 4870 scanner about 18 monhs ago. I think I scanned it @ 3200 ppi/dpi, producing a 176 MB file. It's ok to be "wordy," when you need a lot of words to explain something & you explained what you did very well.

I'm not that sold on your result. You achieved your vision, which is ok. It shows me the possibilities others see in my images. The enlarged view is too large. I'd like to see your result larger than the thumbnail, but not so large to require scrolling the image, if you want to go to the trouble. I'd like to back off a little.

jadams, Yep. You got that right. Next time I do something like this, I'll use a polarizer. Preparation at the shoot avoids a host of sins. Wish I'd known that, then.

I'm going to work on this image to the bitter end with only what I know, yet knowing I could have done this inside an hour. Well, it's been said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2007, 06:29 PM

14ME,

If you right click and save the photo to your desktop and open it in PhotoShop - under the View drop down click fit on screen and you will see all of the image at once.

I was pretty sure that the reflection of you in the door appeared that you were holding the camera and waist level and looking down into that sweet, sweet, frosted glass viewing screen. I miss that a lot sometimes. Thats when I set up my Sinar 8x10, sneak under my dark cloth, lay my loupe on that lovely upside down image and remember.
Good work.
cf
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2007, 08:48 PM

Thanks, Sweetlight. I discover ways of doing things all the time from you people. I did a control-click on my Mac's mouse because it's the one-button type. Your rendition is a bit too contrasty for my taste, altho I like the richness of the red grillwork. But, that's your vision & you're entitled to it.

You can't imagine the magic I felt when I looked down into that ground glass for the first time. Well, maybe *you* can. No one knows photography who has not viewed a scene on ground glass, and better yet, composed on it. 50 years after I bought it, I still have that Rollei. Nothing like an upside down, reversed image to disengage the brain from the expected and force it to deal with the abstracts of light, composition, etc. LCDs on digital camera backs come close, but no cigar.

I live in Missoula, MT, & I enjoy your quote from Norman Maclean. Thanks, again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2007, 10:12 PM

Well, I went back in & completed this project to the bitter end with the way I do things. I just did a lot of selecting & cloning in the selections. I darkened the image a bit, using Curves, to bring out the red in the grillwork and make the image a compromise between the highlighted left upper corner & the rest of them image.

I have to admit I don't use layers as I like to work on the background layer, as I go. I can always backup & undo what I've done until I get it right. If anyone objects (& I know most of you work with layers) I'll have to get more educated about layers, masking, etc.

Anyway, here it is, for what it's worth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final Photo for RePRO.jpg (96.4 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2007, 01:44 AM

The final outcome is usually whats important and your final picture looks pretty good.. especially if you are satisfied with it.. because in the end thats all that counts..

I think it looks fine and you did yourself proud! Nice JOB!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2007, 10:10 AM

Thanks, Granny. Your compliment makes the time I put into this well spent. I guess some images are going to require a lot more time than others. I just keep thinking there must have been a more efficient way than I did it, and you people have clued me in to that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2007, 11:38 AM

>>>>>> I have to admit I don't use layers as I like to work on the background layer, as I go.

At least, work on a copy of the BG layer.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching