Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dave Hill Effect!!

Old 07-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Re: Dave Hill Effect!!

^part time thread digger.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2009, 02:23 PM

Another stupid dave hill thread.. OMG
Moderator please erase this thread!! uuuffffffff
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2009, 02:58 AM

ha ha ha! Hello 'Felix' :+}
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2009, 05:51 PM

I really dont understand why you people get so flustered when someone wants to know how Dave Hill does his stuff... perhaps its because even you have not yet achieved the effect? Don't degrade someone for wanting to know ...knowledge is power. Have a little respect for the curious. ...also if you didn't want to read the thread, well why did you even click on it.

Dave Hill does not OWN this style, however it will forever be named "the dave hill look" ...its just like a painting, Van Gogh holds the originality for his work, but how many people have recreated his look over the last hundred years? ...a ton.

Get over your DH bitterness. The poster only asked a answer it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2009, 06:06 PM

Gavin do a forum search and do not waste space.. There is already a long ass boring thread about Dave Hill.
Have a little respect for the forum and do not waste space with a stupid post.
I guess the desert heat has gotten to you.
Another consultation is do not come in talking big with one post behind you.
I agree with Felix and would request they dump this post.
Of course unless they think that something with come out different here than the 2,000 posts post.
jeeeeez People these days!

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2010, 01:33 AM

This is my first and only post I will post on this forum but I agree with Gavin. Obviously the bitter people on here can't duplicate the Dave Hill look so instead they'd rather not hear about it. If you don't like it don't click the posts that have DAVE HILL EFFECT in the subject lol. You guys are lame and childish.

If someone wants to learn the DH technique then more power to them. It isn't out of style. It's only out of style to YOU because you can't figure out how he does it.

Grow up, stop whining and if you hate the DH look so much then come up with your own technique and style that others will want to emulate. Then when people are posting thread after thread about it lets see how quick you are to ask the moderators to remove the threads. Amateurs!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2010, 06:05 AM

I don't think people are upset about someone asking for the technique. I think they're more upset (upset is a big word, but you know) that there's already a 600 page post (rough estimation) about that very technique that contains loads of information on how to achieve that very look!

"There's a search button at the top of the page for a reason" - kind of thing
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM

Seems like posting to the monster Demystification of Dave Hill thread is just a recipe for longside1's request for feedback getting totally lost as no one is going to read through 2,131 posts to see what he has done and react to it (some 51 pages into the thread -- maybe there should be some limit as to how long a thread can grow). Maybe he shouldn't title the thread "Dave Hill Effect!" but rather just mention something about trying to get something close to a Dave Hill look in the body of the post.

Then again putting Dave Hill in the thread title will surely get some additional views on this forum (already more than 12,000) so it's a good way to get some attention, and maybe even some useful feedback. And there are already several threads related to Dave Hill, and I don't see anyone trying to keep references to other photographers or retouchers all contained in a single thread.

I like Dave Hill's work. It's pretty good stuff. But I don't think his work is head and shoulders above everyone else (or that it deserves the amount of attention that it gets here). He has a definite style of shooting and a definite style for doing post work on images. It's a pretty good formula (and one could probably do worse than try to emulate his success).

It's probably worth figuring out what he's doing (to figure out what techniques might be useful to you as a retoucher or to be able to work closely with a photographer who's trying to match that particular look).

But I don't think that Dave Hill is the best photographer out there. And his look isn't appropriate for a lot of work. So figure out what he's doing when he's shooting and what he's doing in post. Learn from it, but don't let that be your entire learning process.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 08:34 PM

the lighting is bela lugosi. im not even getting into the dave hill mayhem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM

take a look at this site..... is very dave hill,..... but with atmosphere
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching