RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Final result of workflow

Old 12-05-2007, 10:08 AM

Final result of workflow

hi to all i just want to ask a question to all of you...

you give the full layered psd to the photographer that ask for retouch or only the final tiff

if they pay... you can think of leave all the layers channel and trace or is better to accept less and mantain reservation over the work you had done...

i ask this just to understand how real-word goes

bye
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2007, 10:12 AM

Re: Final result of workflow

Most often the final, flat tiff is delivered. Some ad agencies I work with get layered files so they can move elements on their own for different ads and publications. These are simplified, layered files, not all of the adjustments are included mostly so as not to confuse people who most often are easily confused and only what is necessary is given.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2007, 10:17 AM

we used to get files back from a ny house, they would literally have roughly 500 layers and adj. layers! rarely named. i used to feel so bad for the operators!

of course, they were hitious layouts done by ad's who just loved to go photoshop crazy...not much concept behind it. just outter glows!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2007, 10:37 AM

The AD comps I get are that way..... nightmare. Doing a 6+ft AD Wet Dream right now. Kill me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1156 View Post
we used to get files back from a ny house, they would literally have roughly 500 layers and adj. layers! rarely named. i used to feel so bad for the operators!

of course, they were hitious layouts done by ad's who just loved to go photoshop crazy...not much concept behind it. just outter glows!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2007, 10:47 AM

i hate to say it, but when 1 of those files comes in.....it is comedy hour.....listening to the stuff that these guys/gals start screaming out, or under their breath is too funny!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2007, 11:07 AM

I have just spent the last couple of hours building this nightmare. Simplifying the comp, converting it out of cmyk, sizing it, saving a simplyfied, layered file out for my reference, a flat FPO to size and begun the build. There are at least 8 elements to this file to comp together as well. Oh joy. My computer acts as if it's firing on only 2 of the 8 cylinders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1156 View Post
i hate to say it, but when 1 of those files comes in.....it is comedy hour.....listening to the stuff that these guys/gals start screaming out, or under their breath is too funny!!
(Whenever you want a thread derailed, let KR and I know and we'll make it happen)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2007, 11:11 AM

lol, yea...sorry to the original poster......but lesson learned, supply a flat tiff, in the desired color mode....and you can sit back and collect your check.

supply a layered file......and get ready to spend quite a bit of time on the phone!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2007, 11:23 AM

btw, the file I'm wrestling with is an AD comp, and not retouched art, just to clarify. There should be no reason to ever deliver a before and after layered file. If there are composited elements to the file you retouched and the client may want to adjust their placement at a later date, then you'd give them a layered, but simplified, file. No original included.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2007, 06:43 AM

thanks to all, yours comment are good advice for me
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2007, 08:15 AM

don't forget cli, from my experice, when you supply a *photographer or art director, or a designer a layered file....they usually feel the need to do some investigating, and make some "minor" adjustments to your file!! it's the natural artists way. think they feel good about themselves after they make a "minor" adjustment, like they added that touch of magic.

and 9 out of 10 times, it's a mistake. remember 1 point of color shift is noticeable.

*major pro photogs and designers, will leave your file, since they understand the concept of a final proof. i'm referring to more inexperienced ppl.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching