RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Can YOU help me make this photo look awesome?

Old 12-16-2007, 06:34 PM

Re: Can YOU help me make this photo look awesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkay View Post
I usualy charge for extensive retouching like that but since you're cute and I'm in a christmas/giving spirit, I did it for free. I hope your family enjoys it.
oh noooo *weeps* You stole my idea!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2007, 07:53 PM

Re: Enkay

Enkay, I love it! That is amazing, and I know my family will think it is amazing as well! Again, thanks to everyone that has posted retouched photos, given me tips, tricks and tools to use, and replied super fast! You guys are wonderful, and I know that I've given you a pretty lame photo to work with because it's really small, but you've all done great work! Thanks for your time!
Lindsey
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2007, 02:56 AM

Well this took forever. Probably over a hundred layers and about six hours. I'ts your body and head and trophy but as you can see everything else was added. Curtains, floor, podium, microphones, plant, dress other lady all seperate layers and worked. It's all about light, shadows and reflections. Well I hope you enjoy it. Shay. All done in photoshop elements 6.0.

Further info: The composition was carefully thoughtout. Although our subject, the girl with the trophy, is along the left verticle we see the shot is a bit tight, cutting her off at just above the ankles and the lady on the right is sliced in half. This would be a shot that is too tight which gives the impression that it was shot by a bit of an amature. Also I added noise to give the look of a cheaper camera or just simply a high ISO. Two elements to give a more natural feel, like it could have been shot by mom with her little coolpix or something.

I thought is was also important to use the microphones, not just for adding to the envrioment but also to help balance out the coldness of the trophy.

Legs: Those bit of legs are taken from the arm.
Dress: Five seperate layers of the same dress blended together to fit the shape of the body.
Trophy: A lot of cloning and some painting.
Shadows: I find working with shadows to be very difficult sometimes, after all I'm rather new to photoshop. I just copy and paste an element I want shadowed, darken it, lower opacitiy and play with perspective. Here I thought was important to have converging shadows to give the feel of a few light sources, like being on a stage.
DOF and Focus Points: Also difficult is to achieve a beliveable camera settings when working with photoshop. In this photo it looks like it was shot with about f2.8 at close distance with the focul point on the podium going diagonal through the trophy. Something like that anyway. It's not quite right here but i tried to achieve it by blurring and sharpening.
Plant: Darkened. Blurred to give a sense of DOF. Simple refletion; new layer, flip and lower opacity, same for curtains and podium.
3D: As you can see the elements were placed to give a three dimensional feel. From front to back; microphone, girl with trophy, lady at podium, plant, crutains, floor.
Floor and Curtains: As you can see the floor goes to about the bottom horizontal, seems like mom knows a little about photography after all. Another layer of black above that. Curtains placed and adjust layers as needed.

Printing: DOH! Unfortunately I scaled this all wrong for printing standard 3x5 or 4x6 or whatever. Amature mistake. I decided to open the file below and noticed it's 800x667 pixles which makes for a 11x9 print. I then copied and pasted this photo to my desktop, opened with photoshop resized the border to 16"Wx12"H then resized image to 4x6 and printed it. It actually turned out rather well. This leaves quite a border, maybe you can get creative with it. I don't know how you'll will be handing this out but it is possible to print this file, just not too big that's all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Girl Award.jpg (81.7 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by shaybshay; 12-17-2007 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Thoughts to add
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2007, 09:40 AM

Wow, Shay! I can't believe you spent that much time on that photo for me! Thank you so much! - It's a completely different picture! I'm especially amazed by the dress because it looks totally realistic...and P.S. - good eye for fashion as well - that's something that I definitely would wear!
Lindsey
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2007, 09:54 AM

Hi shaybshay,
I just wanted to say I thought you did a oustanding fabulous job on that....

and I took a great deal of interest not only the steps you took but the thoughts about it as to how to go about it... for a beginer like me... that important... thank you for the enlightenment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaybshay View Post
Well this took forever. Probably over a hundred layers and about six hours. I'ts your body and head and trophy but as you can see everything else was added. Curtains, floor, podium, microphones, plant, dress other lady all seperate layers and worked. It's all about light, shadows and reflections. Well I hope you enjoy it. Shay. All done in photoshop elements 6.0.

Further info: The composition was carefully thoughtout. Although our subject, the girl with the trophy, is along the left verticle we see the shot is a bit tight, cutting her off at just above the ankles and the lady on the right is sliced in half. This would be a shot that is too tight which gives the impression that it was shot by a bit of an amature. Also I added noise to give the look of a cheaper camera or just simply a high ISO. Two elements to give a more natural feel, like it could have been shot by mom with her little coolpix or something.

I thought is was also important to use the microphones, not just for adding to the envrioment but also to help balance out the coldness of the trophy.

Legs: Those bit of legs are taken from the arm.
Dress: Five seperate layers of the same dress blended together to fit the shape of the body.
Trophy: A lot of cloning and some painting.
Shadows: I find working with shadows to be very difficult sometimes, after all I'm rather new to photoshop. I just copy and paste an element I want shadowed, darken it, lower opacitiy and play with perspective. Here I thought was important to have converging shadows to give the feel of a few light sources, like being on a stage.
DOF and Focus Points: Also difficult is to achieve a beliveable camera settings when working with photoshop. In this photo it looks like it was shot with about f2.8 at close distance with the focul point on the podium going diagonal through the trophy. Something like that anyway. It's not quite right here but i tried to achieve it by blurring and sharpening.
Plant: Darkened. Blurred to give a sense of DOF. Simple refletion; new layer, flip and lower opacity, same for curtains and podium.
3D: As you can see the elements were placed to give a three dimensional feel. From front to back; microphone, girl with trophy, lady at podium, plant, crutains, floor.
Floor and Curtains: As you can see the floor goes to about the bottom horizontal, seems like mom knows a little about photography after all. Another layer of black above that. Curtains placed and adjust layers as needed.

Printing: DOH! Unfortunately I scaled this all wrong for printing standard 3x5 or 4x6 or whatever. Amature mistake. I decided to open the file below and noticed it's 800x667 pixles which makes for a 11x9 print. I then copied and pasted this photo to my desktop, opened with photoshop resized the border to 16"Wx12"H then resized image to 4x6 and printed it. It actually turned out rather well. This leaves quite a border, maybe you can get creative with it. I don't know how you'll will be handing this out but it is possible to print this file, just not too big that's all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2007, 10:05 AM

W O W !
Shay, You are quite the "FAKIR"
Excellent work !!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2007, 10:20 AM

Shay, amazing work. Though it took you awhile - believe me - it was worth every minute. Applause
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2007, 12:26 PM

Your welcome Lindsey. I know my name could throw people off as it is a name used by both men and women. I mention this because as the man that I am I didnt realize I had a good eye for fasion sense, lol. I hope i'm not getting all tom cruise like.

Jerryb: Thank you. I think it's important to explain the thought process as well as the photoshop. I'm going to try to be even more thorough in the future.

grannysdc: Thank you. I liked how you put that..."FAKIR".

anica999: Thank you. Sure did take long but I learned along the way. And I'm glad I could make someone happy.

Last edited by shaybshay; 12-18-2007 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching