RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Should I trust this video???

Old 01-18-2008, 05:41 PM

Re: Should I trust this video???

If not this DVD, do you really have an alternative?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Haven't read all the above posts, but suggest that some folks (with broadband internet access and a suitable computer) check out training available at Lynda.com -- for as little as $25 for one month's access to online training videos. I haven't viewed this man's lessons, but I was thrilled with other lessons I viewed during a trial subscription. There are free lessons available to try before deciding to pay. They have both online videos and DVDs (for some subjects) for most or all Adobe products. I didn't see any problem for users outside the U.S., but I'm not positive about that.

I cannot say whether there is high level skin retouching with d&b in these training videos, but there is definitely a lot of advanced Photoshop training available at reasonable cost. Deke McClelland's lessons on CS3, expecially on creating/using masks are top-notch.
Enhancing Digital Photography with Photoshop CS2 - with Chris Orwig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2008, 04:52 PM

CJ, there is no problem from outside US, only prereq is possession of a credit card.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amica999 View Post
CJ, there is no problem from outside US, only prereq is possession of a credit card.
Good! Thanks for the info, amica.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 AM

Some people seem to think that just using a 39m MP Hass is the answer to your prayers. Let me tell you I use a 22mMP Mamiya which I upgraded to from The Kodak pro slrn 14m MP and the detail is significantly higher, but what that also introduces is a hell of a lot more detail to retouch and any flaws really show up. I now spend much more time retouching my images. There are no easy answers or we would all be doing it.
The DVD is OK, not for advanced users but still I found some interesting stuff on it, it's always useful to see the way someone else work. I'd recommend it for beginners and intermediate level, if your advanced you can probably work out your own way of doing it. The price is steep but if you have ever produdced a commercial DVD you will realise that it is very expensive to do so.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM

that's why i tell people not to waste their time retouching lores images...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 PM

I loved this DVD!! It was worth the money to me, as it gave a lot of good information and it improved my retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
I'd say skip the videos and do hands on work instead. Spend some time freelancing with highend retouchers. Maybe even travel to do it.... London/Paris/Milan

I think someone wrote somewhere that if you already went through basic retouching the OP dvd would just disappoint and having seen the clips (I would assume that he used his best clips to sell the dvd) I'm not impressed. Nothing new at all under the sky, and the fact that he's uses a mouse, puts me off how miniscule that may sound
To be honest that kid might as well have put together all the basics he could find on YouTube and replicated them in his own show.

So... go hands on and instead of spending money you might even end up earning money learning instead.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2008, 09:38 PM

One of the benefits I see is getting the 5 RAW files. I for one am finding it difficult to find really good high resolution files to work on to put in my portfolio. Yes, I have downloaded all the "Free RAW" files that have been posted in this forum but they seem to be not quite what I am looking for to add to my portfolio.

In any event if anyone wants to sell me their copy of the DVD I am interested - PM me. Otherwise I will probably be buying it within a week or two directly from the source.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2008, 07:04 PM

I bought the DVD and the RAW files included are awesome (having never used the full output from a 39MP camera) One thing that bothers me about this video, other than constant use of the word "basically" -just a pet peeve, is the fact that this guy doesn't use curves at all on this video - he uses Levels instead. Which I don't care too much because I know curves and use it almost exclusively vs. Levels. But has anyone heard of a pro retoucher not using curves? That should be the most basic tool used. Like I said, the inclusion of the 5 RAW files is worth the $150 price tag alone because I have no access to files this detailed.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching