RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Should I trust this video???

Old 08-11-2008, 07:29 PM

Re: Should I trust this video???

Wow that's a real drag about the DVD retouching tutorial that it doesn't give much instruction about working the skin. That's what everyone wants in a retouching tutorial the most, how to produce the model's perfect skin, blended beautifully with skin texture and pores. I was tempted to buy it myself if it would help me reach another level.

Please keep us posted
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2008, 08:35 PM

He does go over working the skin and he does a good job if the ends justify the means...he uses the dodge and burn tools on the retouched image itself. All-in-all, I think the video is valuable in showing how another retoucher works. I see the value as seeing how he does it and what steps he takes and adapting my own workflow and tools to achieve the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB2005 View Post
Wow that's a real drag about the DVD retouching tutorial that it doesn't give much instruction about working the skin. That's what everyone wants in a retouching tutorial the most, how to produce the model's perfect skin, blended beautifully with skin texture and pores. I was tempted to buy it myself if it would help me reach another level.

Please keep us posted
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri775 View Post
He does go over working the skin and he does a good job if the ends justify the means...he uses the dodge and burn tools on the retouched image itself. All-in-all, I think the video is valuable in showing how another retoucher works. I see the value as seeing how he does it and what steps he takes and adapting my own workflow and tools to achieve the same thing.
I did not get what I was looking for from this DVD and that is, getting that "perfect" skin. He used a model with a very good skin. There is nothing on the DVD that I didn't know before. I guess his good sales pitch on his site sold me...

If you are a beginner then this DVD maybe for you. I'm going to give mine away to the highest bidder on ebay!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 02:19 PM

I was impressed with his use of Dodge and Burn to sculpt with work done on masks. The ear was problematic for me since he works with such fine brushes that his transitions are narrow and in the replace piercing sample video, the edge ends up being to harsh and thin. Also the curves of the tragus, which he replaced is too shallow. Again, for a high end retoucher, why no fuzz hair? He took the skin from the flatter more shiny hairless anti-helix.

So it was good to see how he built the structure, but I'd have expected more.

Asher
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeagle View Post
well I was hoping there would be more focus on skin. Ok I wish there was SOME focus on skin. What I learned was that you should start with a model that has perfect skin and a great makeup artist.
I am thinking about possibly ordering the DVD. It seems some that bought it had some concerns about not enough focus on skin work. I think what others were hoping for was how to build up skin texture when there wasn't any hi-def in the original images. With a 39 MB Hassy or equivilent, you can definitely see pores on top of pores. It would be interesting to see how some texture skin maps could be created where they are needed. Someone else said, perhaps that will be covered in another DVD.

I am probably going to hold off awhile and wait and see when Mr Cricket (CT) will be releasing his instructional DVD. Hoping that will be soon. Keep our fingers crossed.

steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 03:15 PM

this came out back in june, but then again he teaches the blur/add noise method which isn't exactly high-end:

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=600
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 04:23 PM

Maybe this other set of tutorials should be looked at: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/mfa01.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2008, 05:21 PM

Chris..it's been 9 months since you first mentioned working on a skin retouching video...how is it going? Any targeted release date?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelzombie View Post
this came out back in june, but then again he teaches the blur/add noise method which isn't exactly high-end:

http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=600
Did you buy it?

Asher
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2008, 01:16 AM

no, a buddy has his book and blurring/adding noise is in one of the chapters..he let me borrow the dvd but i haven't had a chance to watch very much of it...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching