RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Should I trust this video???

Old 01-08-2008, 09:29 PM

Re: Should I trust this video???

Thanks for your thoughts on direction Adam. I will definitely consider apply image and/or calculations to add in or as a separate dvd maybe.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 PM

calculations saved me a ton of time today. masks took 10 min, normally would have taken a lot longer with the complexity of the angles and curves of the product using the pen tool.

i also remember reading about it (chris' part) in katrins book a couple of years ago!

glad i read more into the process. is a real extreme time saver.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 05:07 AM

chris, please, please pretty please start soon! We are all waiting I would see you retouch for 5hours! for us it's not the time, it's the how to get there that's important!

I know a good title for your retouching dvd('s)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
...I might be making a video for skin retouching soon.

Chris
I'd like to advance book one
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 PM

Ok I finished watching the DVD and here's my review, first the short and sweet then some more details.

If your starting out in photoshop went through some photoshop books and are looking for more tutorial than a 10min "makeover" and would like a blur free portrait, then I would rate this 5 stars. If you've done some beauty retouching but want your photo's to pop more and learn a few tricks on how to use the tools in a different way I would give it a 3.5-4 stars because of cost. I already knew all the tools covered in the lesson but but seeing where and how they used helped. If your looking to reconstruct skin, even skin-tone color or other advanced techniques then this isn't for you, perhaps his next DVD will cover hours of skinwork. His workflow is somewhat destructive however not that bad as he flattens his work after he's sure it's right. He also shows you how to D&B on a separate layer if you want. The extra raw files and PSD's are icing on the cake. They provide plenty of practice and a look at his version to compare to yours.

While on the skin subject there was about 13mins of clone and healing brush review in the beginning, working on another photo, basically showing how they work and why there different. Later on about 11min of cloning to cleanup (I think he also did some offscreen) and then a little D&B to even skin texture. The model didn't have perfect skin, but some bumps and pimples. Working with the 39mp Hassy files made this easy to produce flawless skin. There are sample photo's with rougher skin to practice on as well.

While there wasn't anything new to me at all, the biggest thing is watching how to D&B to shape the body, that helped me the most. Also seeing how to use liquify the right way (subtly) was pretty cool, as I have never really messed with it before. Seeing how to pay attention to the not so obvious was cool, as I never noticed her hair being "top heavy" before he mentioned it. Rebuilding the ear where the ear ring was is pretty slick, but that's as far as reconstruction goes, which I think the first one was to not get to crazy anyway.

All in all I am satisfied with my purchase. Like all my books and tutorial DVD's I get, I will sell it on ebay after I have practiced and it has become second nature. After selling and paying a portion of it off, makes it pretty good deal.

*Edit**
I wish he would add an online highres before picture, but there is a full size after on the site as well.

Last edited by AdamZx3; 01-10-2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: grammer edit
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2008, 05:44 AM

Chris...I really appreciate the help and positive comments you provide members on this site. Suggestion..can we tell you what we would like to see in a DVD and then you could tell us what you could provide and the cost. To make it worth your time you'd probably want some advanced payment You could also sell this at your seminars.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2008, 06:10 AM

Adam
Nice breakdown of the DVD in question. Good to see that it is not as bad as was mentioned or at the least has some good merits here and there.

And quite honestly, I am at the moment retouching a stunning asian woman shot with a P45. A close up, say two feet away. Still a major part of my day just to make her look great. Not much less time than from a Canon 5D or mark 2 Ds.

Skydog:

Always open to suggestions for content. Advanced payments not necessary. : )
But lets do this on my blog. I will start a new entry for it. This has kind of started to ursup the original intent of this thread.

Chris

Last edited by cricket1961; 01-10-2008 at 07:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2008, 01:04 PM

Chris, keep up the good work

Good idea, could you provide a link to your blog please?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2008, 01:17 PM

Shellby, click on Chris's username and select "view blog". You can also access it through the Blog link at the top of the forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2008, 01:26 PM

it had to be simple! Thanks pixel monkey
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching