RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

A hip that just will not go away

Old 12-19-2007, 02:57 AM

Re: A hip that just will not go away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziaphra View Post
I think that hip is natural and very feminine...down to the 'twiggy' style photos! Lightening it will do the trick.
I have a tendency to agree with you, if you start slimming down one side then you have to do the other side ... and it turns into an endless drama.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2007, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziaphra View Post
I think that hip is natural and very feminine...down to the 'twiggy' style photos! Lightening it will do the trick.
I couldn't agree more!!!

Also, obviously the model isn't standing straight, but seems to be 'putting the weight' entirely on her right leg, therefore, her hip bones aren't horizontally aligned and this makes the waist line on her right side much more at an angle than the left side .... I would simply correct the lightening as Ziaphra said ... and minimize the noise ... and even though everybody did a great job in cloning, warping etc. , if a change at all, I find Alison's the most 'anatomically' natural of all..
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2007, 06:13 AM

This is the first time Iíve tried sculpting a body. I am an amateur and found it very difficult. I cut the hip/butt area that you showed just above the knuckle up to about where your example ended using Polygonal Lasso Tool. This of course left a very unnatural straight line through the models body. I then went to copying sections of the blue cushion to fill the blank areas. Using a lot of erasing, cloning and opacity and such I tried to follow the natural upward flow of the cushion as it went diagonal from left to right, also trying to follow its natural light flow that fades down from right to left. I then went to the quilt and cloned downward toward the models body filling in the empty area.

I now went back to work on the straight line left by the lasso tool to give a natural curve. This took a lot of back and forth cloning between the body and the cushion. I would clone at a size 2 pixel and a hard edge at 100% opacity. I would zoom in and out of the document, while cloning for the curve, from 100% to 500% back and forth many times to achieve a natural curve. You must make sure you are viewing the document at 100% or else you will see things that arenít really there, Iím not exactly sure how to explain that, itís like pixels get messed up or something when viewing at different percentages.

Now that I was happy with the curve I noticed the shadow of the body now didnít really match the curve. So I went to work on that, lots of copying, pasting, screen, cloning, painting, and blurring trying to match the curve. I think the shadow needs more work, reducing it a bit from the hip toward the belly more but Iím not sure.

So now there is a nice S curve, hourglass type shape with the body and the shadow. I also noticed there is a hard edge around the edge line of the body and arms so I went back to the curveís edge and gave it a bit of sharpness to match everything else. I also cloned the bikini string and made sure there was a slight indent in the body where the two met.

Walking away for a while and coming back to it, I guess you could push the right side in more but I feel her body is body is a few degrees rightward from dead on so I think you would lose some of the hourglass shape on that side anyway simply because of camera perspective. Also looking at your original then looking at this example can make it seem unnatural. I find it best to close the original, leave only the rework open on the screen, donít look at it for a long time, forget about it all and come back to view it later and see how you feel about it. I like to do this with all my retouches and so forth; it helps to see it as its own photo rather than a comparison.

Well I found this challenging and fun. I hope what Iíve detailed is close to what you are looking for. Like I said Iím an amateur and do this mainly to learn. Hopefully you and others can reply so I can learn form you all. Well take it easy now. -Shay

P.S. It's too bad about the small file size I had to give this. I noticed quite a bit of degrading in the shadow area and such when I opened it, but you get the idea anayway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg body sculpt 2.jpg (78.6 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 AM

you can't make the right call without seeing the image in its entirety.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1156 View Post
you can't make the right call without seeing the image in its entirety.
second that! I think that the hip looks natural! I would keep it for the feminine aspect of this picture! But as said: WHOLE PICTURE, PLEASE
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the input so far guys (and ladies of course)...I very much appreciate it.

Your arguments for keeping the hip actually turned the tide in the friendly argument between the model and I. I wanted to keep the hip, to me it looked natural. Not an awarding winning angle granted

The model is a sweet girl we have practically watched grow up. She first came to us for a model portfolio for One Model Place, when she was sixteen. Since then, we have watched her go through several tough relationships, finally get married and have her first child just six months ago. She wanted the hip tucked largely in part of, at least in my opinion, some post birth longing for her pre-baby body.

Anyway, I pasted your opinions in an email and thats what made her relent to keeping the hip. (A special thanks to the ladies who responded back...hearing exactly the same as what I have been saying, but coming from other women, did the trick.)

Anywho, I am about 60% done with the retouch. So, if anyone still wants to throw in some ideas (That don't require a complete retouch) I am open and ready to listen. This photo is being used in a national lingerie mailer going out in January so if anyone comes up with a killer idea, Ill make sure you're listed in the contributing credits on the bottom of the mailer.

Warmest regards,
Damien
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 878700-R1-1A-3.jpg (94.6 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2007, 08:58 PM

I guess I was missing something.. Glad it is resolved though..

Just used the clone tool to do surgery on the hip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 878700-R1-1A-2surgery.jpg (96.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 878700-R1-1A-3surgery.jpg (100.0 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2007, 08:29 AM

maybe just making that area, where the hip meets the ribs, a smooher curve. right now it is kind of sharp. you don't have to reduce the hip, just make the transition more smooth and you will have the illusion of a thinner waist.

and then maybe smooth out the opposite side as well a tiny bit.

and only change i would make is go into liquify and try and push up her under chin a bit, to slim her face, when you pose with your head tilted down, you get that extra skin shifted to the bottom of your jaw and it makes you look heavier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (76.5 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2007, 10:57 PM

Since we got to see the whole photo I thought I'd do another for fun using the hip I edited in the previous post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hip 2.jpg (88.0 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching