RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Anyone know how to get these eyes?

Old 12-30-2007, 07:04 AM

Re: Anyone know how to get these eyes?

I'm guessing here, but I'd say that the eyes have been cut to different layers, re sized (enlarged) and repositioned along with touch up. I saw a tutorial on this somewhere that showed how to add symmetry to a subject (a much desired feature in the high end modeling world).

Example #1 is a dead give away. Note the distance of edge of the eye from the hairline in the "before" version. In the "after" version the eye has been moved considerably left and the hair line (bangs) covering it via masking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 05:44 AM

Hi everyone.... I found this thread when I saw some strange hits on my site. What a great discussion. I wanted to clarify a few things so that those who were interested could make eyes pop too! A lot of clients really like that effect, though some (particularly moms about their small children) prefer a more natural approach. You definitely have to know what your client is looking for... in my experiance senior girls want the very best of them brought out, and therefore tend to have a more 'overdone' result.

I absolutely saturate and sharpen all my close up eye pictures. I also dodge and burn. I never create dodge and burn lines, but instead trace over existing ones. I always smooth skin to create a dewy texture. But there are a few things I never do and a couple that were mentioned that I don't know how to do ... I have never replaced an eye or eyes. Not sure how natural that would look. I have never enlarged an eye... again that seems to sound like a wierd precious moments doll. In the specific picture referenced I'm not sure what is meant, but the only difference between my half face picture and the original was that I tilted the whole image and cropped it in half, then burned out the surrounding areas. I rarely if ever have whitened teeth or eyes, but have selected them and removed yellow or blue color casts. I don't know how to superimpose an image on an eye or whatever that is... the catchlights are 100% true always... in the center when magnified you can usually see me holding my camera... sadly I take up a huge center due to being out of shape Catchlights are my specialty and my bread and butter because I am only a natural light photographer.

That specific model, Kelsey has amazing eyes, as do many of the people I photograph, but I will state that it is hard, much much much harder to get great catchlights with brown or very dark blue eyes. Sadly my son has dark brown eyes (which are beautiful) but very hard to get decent catchlights. I will lighten his whole iris from time to time with the dodge to give it some depth, but I too prefer naturalness on my own child.

I sometimes teach a photoshop class (not because I'm in any way qualified because I am NOT) but to help begining photographers in my community to make what I call picture portraits... in those I show them actual before and afters of any of my images they want to see, and then I edit one of thier images right with them. There is no effect I've found to replacing great catchlights and beautiful eyes that are natural, but you can certainly enhance any eyes, even badly pixelated flashed eyes can be fixed to look decent in my opinion.

I'm definitely no expert, far from it, and certainly as some previous posters mentioned my style is not for everyone, but for anyone interested I give very freely to answering as many questions that come my way as possible... and if specifically requested will provide heavily watermarked photos of before and afters to help assist when necessary. I learned from a great community of photographers how to photograph and am completely self taught on CS2, and have only been doing this two years so take anything I offer with a grain of salt, I still don't even know the names of all the functions, but if you'd like help in 'popping' your eyes or just have some general questions, I'd be happy to help.

What a wonderful place this is and I can't wait to begin reading some of the other posts and learning so much more. Thanks to all of you for checking out my site! I can't wait to look at all of your wonderful work as well.

Regards,
Christie Carl
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 05:55 AM

Christie,

Thanks for the response...a few questions..what camera and lighting system are you using. Also are you doing anything to the eyelashes?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 05:59 AM

Hi Christie--

Thank you so very much for all of the information you have graciously shared. I sincerely hope you have taken my interest in your work as a compliment--it absolutely is!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 06:00 AM

Hi...

I use a point and shoot camera (a prosumer Sony Cybershot DSC-H9) and no lights. Windows, outdoors, and sometimes a white foamcore board. I hope to one day soon move to studio style photography, with backgrounds and lights, but I'm just not there yet

As for the catchlights, I always position a person then walk around them 360 degrees to find the right light. Then I make them move and turn until I get the catchlights I need. I usually have them placed below me (sitting, kneeling) or I place myself quite a bit higher (stepstools and ladders) since the very best catchlights (imo) come from the reflections of the sky. Another trick for great catchlights is to walk around witha marble in your closed fist between your thumb and top finger and look for where the light hits it... that is the sweet spot.

I do use the burn tool, small circle (usually 1 or 2) and go over Each and Every lash for the girls... but this looks fake and wierd on boys. Also, very tricky on blonds unless they already have heavy eye make up on. Again, I only edit eyes in fairly close up images... which cuts down some on the editing.

I hope that helps!

Christie

eta... thanks melanie I DID. Lots of people like my style, but lots of people think its overdone... and both are right depending on the picture (and a lot of mine are more edited then most people would) so its completely fine... in fact it promotes some great talk on what makes a good photo great, and what the difference is between darkroom editing (which I used to love) and photoshop editing. I appreciate any and every interest someone shows... thank you so much!

Last edited by cmcrjr; 12-31-2007 at 06:03 AM. Reason: updating
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 07:07 AM

Hi Christie,

I don't post here all that often but your response within this thread just prompted me to write a bit.

I want to thank you for your insight in response to someone's "random" post. You took the time not only to post here but you posted here in response to hits on your website. That takes time!

Your pictures look great!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 07:22 AM

Christie
Hello and welcome to retochpro
Thank you for your detailed workflow, picked up a few tips, the marble is a excellent one, It is great that you have spent the time to post a explanation rather than having to find posts that "might be of some help " even though they have value in themselves

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 07:37 AM

Hi, Christie! Welcome to Retouch Pro. I'm sure you will be a great asset to our community. I'm not a photographer nor am I really interested in retouching or restoration (I usually hang out in the Photo Art threads), but I do stick my nose into other threads just to keep up. You may have already discovered the Photography forum. Lots of snappers and shooters there.

Look forward to seeing more of your work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
Not saying this is the answer but maybe worth a try to see how it comes out

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/sho...d.php?t=139721
Palms
Hi Palms, nice find. Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2008, 05:34 PM

cmcrjr, Enjoyed looking at your site and the different ranges of retouching on them. The fact you've taken your photo's with a point and shoot also is amazing. Love your photo's. The marble idea is wonderful.

What method do you use for your smoothing your skin? I have a few different books that go into doing that, I was just wondering which way you do it.

If I lived in the same town, I'd be checking out your class. Always fun to see how people do things and pick up tips.

Take care.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching