RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Whats the deal with the 50% gray background?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:52 AM

Re: Whats the deal with the 50% gray background?

I use curves on the grey layer. Or any other adjustment method.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2008, 10:43 PM

The softlight D&B technique is just amazing! I can sum up its main advantage in flexibility.

Instead of having to use many targeted curves with the traditional technique, I can just change the color to target different areas of the skin. More importantly, by switching the foreground color from dark to light and vice versa I can Dodge and Burn on the same layer .

That being said, picking the right color has proven tremendously challenging. As I target different areas of the skin I can't find a clear formula to pick the correct color.

I always end up with over saturated colors instead of a total blend, which I usually achieve with the traditional technique. I wish there was a tutorial on how to choose the right color because that is the key component to using the Softlight technique effectively.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 AM

Its dodge colors that have this problem, the ones you use to lighten. No formula. Blue colors neutralise, use them at a low opacity, or set your brush mode while painting to Color.

Heres a mechanical way to pick colors which will work for your image… If you first make a feathered selection on your soft light layer which includes the areas which look over-saturated and wrong. Then use command U Hue/Saturation and move the hue slider, it will leave the greys untouched, but provide you with alternatives on your dodge color. If you change the mode of your Soft light layer to Normal (shift/alt N) while you do this you will see whats happening. You can then sample the colors that look right directly from your grey layer, store them as swatches. They will need to be lightened, use the HSB brightness slider. Shortcut for getting your layer back to Soft Light (shift/alt F).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching