RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin tones: adjusting WB & RAW calibration

Old 01-06-2008, 08:17 PM

Re: Skin tones: adjusting WB & RAW calibration

Chris,

I'm still obsessing about skintones as well. If you find the ultimate answer, let me know.

Wayne
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2008, 10:35 PM

Murray,

Thanks again for your wonderfully thorough reply. I feel like I'm understanding this much better thanks to your help.

I use Lightroom in ACR, which unfortunately does not have a color sampler tool. I read about a workaround on the Adobe forums that seems feasible, since LR does display RGB values when I move the cursor over the image in "Develop" mode.

I'll have to read up more on correcting skin tones in LAB color mode. Do you have any suggestions for a resource on that?

I think I'll buy the iCorrect plug-in too. I downloaded the demo and it works very well.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Solum View Post
Chris,

I'm still obsessing about skintones as well. If you find the ultimate answer, let me know.

Wayne
Wayne,

I don't have the ultimate answer, but here's what's working well for me.

1. Calibrated my 5D using the Rags Gardner script, but choosing the skin tone patch instead of the red patch (this is an option in the script).

2. Take an exposure of a WhiBal or Gretag ColorChecker card at the beginning of each shoot.

3. Adjust WB using the card of all imported images as the first step.

4. Make WB adjustments if necessary to correct for color cast, using a color sampler in ACR on a neutral area (or by positioning the cursor in Lightroom over a neutral area, and using the up/down arrows to make adjustments)

5. Use the HSL sliders if further color correction is needed (this isn't always intuitive and obvious, though. I find that sliding orange hue to the right towards yellow, and decreasing orange saturation often helps).

6. Open in Photoshop and use iCorrect 1Click and/or curves in RGB mode to correct any remaining color cast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2008, 05:04 AM

whibal is very nice to work with...i have that and use it for portraits! works like a charm
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2008, 09:47 AM

Chris,

I hadn't stumbled across the Rags Gardner script. I'll try to do it today or tomorrow.

In photoshop I've been exprimenting with a technique using a Gradient Map along with a mask to map skintones -- it works better sometimes than others. Usually best on a model that's already had the imprefections removed. I can change a tan model into a fair-skinned one and vice-versa. Another thing I've tried is correcting the color in Lab which is easier to do than in RGB.

What I want to find now is a good "Powder" technique to create a smooth skintone to paint over blotchy skin and to knock down some of the contrast. It's a glamour technique which should serve me well for my portrait work.

If you know of any, give me a shout.

Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by switters View Post
Wayne,

I don't have the ultimate answer, but here's what's working well for me.

1. Calibrated my 5D using the Rags Gardner script, but choosing the skin tone patch instead of the red patch (this is an option in the script).

2. Take an exposure of a WhiBal or Gretag ColorChecker card at the beginning of each shoot.

3. Adjust WB using the card of all imported images as the first step.

4. Make WB adjustments if necessary to correct for color cast, using a color sampler in ACR on a neutral area (or by positioning the cursor in Lightroom over a neutral area, and using the up/down arrows to make adjustments)

5. Use the HSL sliders if further color correction is needed (this isn't always intuitive and obvious, though. I find that sliding orange hue to the right towards yellow, and decreasing orange saturation often helps).

6. Open in Photoshop and use iCorrect 1Click and/or curves in RGB mode to correct any remaining color cast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2008, 07:20 AM

Switters,

Hey, what method do you use in photoshop to correct skintones? Do you have any good smoothing techniques as well?

Wayne
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2008, 07:33 AM

I use curves for the most part to correct skin tones in Photoshop. Mostly in RGB space, and just now beginning to experiment with correcting in LAB.

For smoothing I'd recommend the PhotoKit Sharpener plug-in. It's expensive relative to other choices, but it's by far the best sharpening and smoothing tool out there IMO.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching