RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Amazing Skin!

Old 01-06-2008, 11:11 PM

Amazing Skin!

Hi Guys,
I'm new around here, and so far have found some incredibly useful tips on retouching on the forum, so I thought I'd put my own question out there.

Below is a link for the site of photographer David Stuart.

David Stuart

You'll notice that the girl in the shot on the right has amazing skin to the effect of making it look like plastic.
I was wondering if anyone knows how to create this effect either in camera or in post with Photoshop.
I know there has been a thread similar to this about creating plastic skin but its really old and I thought there might be some fresh ideas out there.

Thanks!
Chloe

Last edited by ChloeS; 01-06-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 02:58 AM

Re: Amazing Skin!

It's pretty hard to see anything in such a small image. Have you found a bigger one? Obviously, there are a million ways to do everything, but if I were trying to get that look, I'd start out with some pretty severe healing and blurring, add a few highpass layers of different radii, and finish off with some manual blurred curves masks to clip the shadows and emphasise the highlights. Upping the contrast or adding a bit of HDR would also work, depending on your particular shot and how severe an effect you want. Of course, if you happen to have access to professional lighting, you can pretty much point, shoot, and print.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
Of course, if you happen to have access to professional lighting, you can pretty much point, shoot, and print.

lol just that easy huh?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
It's pretty hard to see anything in such a small image. Have you found a bigger one? Obviously, there are a million ways to do everything, but if I were trying to get that look, I'd start out with some pretty severe healing and blurring, add a few highpass layers of different radii, and finish off with some manual blurred curves masks to clip the shadows and emphasise the highlights. Upping the contrast or adding a bit of HDR would also work, depending on your particular shot and how severe an effect you want. Of course, if you happen to have access to professional lighting, you can pretty much point, shoot, and print.
never blur skin..
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 02:29 PM

I posted this tutorial for a method I created by accident while trying to do something else. It works best for creating a smooth base for further retouching of skin but in cases where the model has really good skin it is often all you need to do. It differs from most other techniques in that it uses the High Pass filter to target and remove blemishes.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cbjuonbj1vu

I have been refining it for a while and now find it works incredibly well once you learn how to manipulate it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 PM

Thanks for all the quick responses!!

Maroon - this should be a bigger pic Skin Image.JPG(again, Picture is taken by David Stuart) I had thought about HDR, it just seems to be a bit more than just that...but I suppose he might just be really good at it!

Ruud - Thanks for the tip and please excuse my ignorance, but why should you never blur skin?

Panascape - Awesome tutorial, very detailed. I'll give it a go!

Again, thanks for the helpful suggestions...Keep 'Em Coming!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2008, 11:54 PM

Hdr?

Hi Maroon
please excuse my ignorance, but what is HDR?
also, I am not sure I follow re the manual blurred curves masks. what does this mean? it it a curve masked to a particular ares that emphasises contrast?
is it the mask that is then blurred for blending purposes?
please explain.
karin
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2008, 12:41 AM

Hi Karin l,

HDR means High Dinamic Range image, it's a picture created from several pictures of the same scene in different exposures, if U are interested in U can check our forum about it:http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/hdr-hdri-tone-mapping/
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2008, 12:51 AM

oh, ok, sabi, thanks
k
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2008, 04:58 AM

never blur skin cause you loose skin texture/detail...the skin looks retouched with dodge and burn!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching