RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

jewelry Photography

Old 01-18-2008, 10:25 PM

Re: jewelry Photography

Reproduce? I think it’s not going to happen just like this, believe it or not…
A while ago I had little training (jewelry) from the photographer of world famous auction house In NYC, the best thing I have learned is how to be proactive…
I think you are making strategic mistake by concentrating on how to take pics and retouch them (unless it’s hobby or creative desire).
Well it’s not up to me what should you do.
Best regards,
-

http://www.edgarmaivel.com

Last edited by DiamondsDr47; 02-05-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2008, 02:44 AM

As far as post processing and the before/after image I think they used levels and/or curves to get the look in the piece and then masked out the background and used a solid white background... or selected the piece using the pen tool and put it on it's own layer. There's always more than one way in Photoshop to get something done. Experiment by duplicating the image and using different blend modes (screen works nicely for making something lighter) on the duplicated layer that is above the original. Surely there was more fine tuning work done to the image but I can't say for sure what exactly was done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Guys,

Thank you for your fantastic response. Thank's to Stephen A for helping me out. I've figured out how to get a look that I'm satisified with. thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2008, 04:09 AM

As I wouldn't try and make a ring I think it would be best if you found a photographer who can give you a pro result.Most of my clients will shoot their own jewelery for in house records but thats about it.
Tim Robinson
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2008, 01:17 PM

Not a lot of time to talk so I'll keep it short. That will be different for a change anyways.

You can acheive the perfect reflection like that shown by shooting the ring on a piece of translucent lucite. Any Home Depot has it. The rest of the secret is excellent lighting that takes time to learn so practice. I won't get on my soap box but back to the basics is always he place to start, then do some touch up and fancy stuff in the computer if you like. No computer can ever reproduce the "sweetlight" that can be seen and documented by a skilled shooter. One sun = one light source. All the other beautiful shadows/highlights we see on our sunlit objects our put there by the man mad and god made reflectors and scrims, ie; buildings, walls, trees, you name it. You have to learn the rules before you can break them.

Peace.

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2008, 10:38 AM

Cool Re: Jewellery Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen A View Post
Right, but he's asking how to do it - not if we can do it. I mean, it'd be nice if he supported the community by paying, but that's his decision.

Actually, just read through this quoted and... that's pretty awful, but predictably business-like. I'm sure the individual quoted will find it's not very easy, and a new process has to be learned for every new step.

Perhaps they'll end up going with the person who offered their paid services?

e: Bah, I dunno. I'm torn on this one - if you're selling jewelery there's a decent markup, even if it's a new shop... but I can understand trying to save the $$$ by doing it yourself. But if we help this person, we're taking out of another person's pocket - another person which, as a retoucher, is in the same shoes as I am.
I understand somewhat about what the poster is doing because I am a jewelry photographer myself. Although I don't use the MK light boxes, I have several lighting rigs and light tents to get the best result out of the camera and keep the PS post work minimal. That box should give him good results so retouching may not not necessary.

Here are a few examples of what I got out of the camera with only some slight PS post work, but I try to get the best images possible from the original source. Jewelry retouching is tough and I come to these forums myself putting up examples and challenges to try to find solutions to my own questions.

Thanks Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bgjret_6725.jpg (32.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg rnt_0406fv.jpg (55.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg gjret_7330.jpg (54.4 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2008, 12:27 PM

The Light Boxes are not a magic solution...For the money it cost it's better
idea to buy strobes and learn lighting.
Just my 2cents...
Best regards,

www.edgarmaivel.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2008, 03:40 PM

Okay, I have held my tongue long enough, but it's enough already. This is not the bicker forum and I would have smashed it long ago.
Yes, there are a lot of pros here, we make money, some make a lot of money. I happen to make my money by not retouching but as a long time shooter. I took some classes, learned a lot from books but there was no digital in my photo beginnings. Now, these few comments will be directed to one person specifically and you know who you are. I am not going to call you onto the carpet. I don't know your age, experience level and frankly I could not give a damn. I have had people take screen shots of my AP Images and sell them for 10 bucks a piece, do you know how much they cost in the real world? I was taken to task by AP but was able to prove myself. Images are stolen every day. Such is the reason that federal laws were made concerning Intellectual Property. The key to some of this is the word intellectual. Try to be okay. I have helped this guy before, he was nothing but thankful and frankly if he can make it I am gonna give a guy with some desire to learn every chance I can. He is not taking money out of my pocket or yours, hell he's not even lying about it, just asking for direction. There is a lot in my life I would be without if not for giving people. I have met one lady on here who started a charity for her children that have a rare disease that just a handful of kids have in this world. She was upfront with me and all she wanted was a direction to go in cropping an image. I worked and donated about 50 of my own images for her cause. In the end she offered money. In the end I offered her peace and wrote it off on my taxes. Buddy, if you don't learn to live with a little grace you have a long road to how. One day you might be in need. Aren't the artists of the world the ones who are supposed to be promoting peace and the right of free living as long as no harm is done. Are we not the ones to show the way to the new artists. Once again, I have no idea of your capabilities or talents but I know mine. I know what I have accomplished and when it comes right down to it I could care less once again about yours or mine. Maybe you need some life experience, maybe you are just being the champion to the artist, I don't know but the soap box is broken. Members of this site have free will when it comes to helping, not helping and deciding when we are being mislead by a fraud. My advice is that you first look up the word "Grace" in the dictionary. It will take you a long way in life. The biggest thing is in the overall scheme of this world, the pain, the hurt and ridiculous people we deal with, is this such a big cause for you to stand on? Karma is a sneaky little devil.

Namaste my friend.

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2008, 06:01 PM

I think since you have "the Box", you will begin to get the results your are after out of the camera and keep the PS post work minimal. I would take a ring, place it in the box with several perspective layouts, shoot, shoot and shoot, then analyze what your results are. The retouching will come just by a lot of hands on work. There is no real book I am aware of that is titled, "Jewelry Retouching." I wish there was one though, because I would be their first customer.

Now the next thing is, think outside of "the box." Visualize your final output and try to emulate it. After you shoot a few hundred, maybe thousand jewelry products, you will get there if you have the drive and passion. Keep movin' ahead!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2008, 06:13 PM

Steve hit it right on the head. Like we spoke about in another forum about your watches. Learn good lighting! Remember all the tips I gave you. There all kinds of books on lighting but "seeing the light" takes practice or a gift.
The key here is to be an excellent shooter (which takes time and much practice). Even a chimp can take a good shot with the digital cameras we use today. You seem very interested so learn it. Go to Barnes and Noble, drink coffee and look at every lighting book they have. Take notes, they build there business on that happening and yet have I found one that did not allow it. Look at some Dean Collins books if they have them. He was or is once considered a guru. I know I am repeating a few things I once told you but let it sink it.
One sun, one light, sweet light, once you see it you will know it. Smooth, clean highlights making sure they never cover anything important. I once did a whole bunch of jewelry by taking a Tupperware cake carrier. It's a plastic plate with a lid that is made of translucent plastic. It's about the same size around as a five gallon bucket and about half as tall. Cut a hole in the top just big enough to shoot through. Practice shooting lights through it. One person told you to buy lights but not soft boxes. I prefer Broncolor lights but they are way over priced even though they are awesome. A lot of the younger shooters are being these Alien Bees which seem to be pretty nice. Foam core reflectors. Cover them with shiny fabrics like gold or silver if need be. Make scrims out of PVC pipe, creating frames as large as you need. Go to Army Navy and buy an old parachute. They are usually white and soft box like. This does not happen over night, well maybe for some people (HMMMM Remember how I told you about my greatest instructor who was a Hallmark shooter. He always told us to "see the light" he preached it. It just snapped into place one day. Be patient with yourself buddy.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching