RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get the Jill Greenberg effect

Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 AM

Re: How to get the Jill Greenberg effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhatt View Post
Good luck in your future judgment.
I'm sorry i don't understand?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 08:54 AM

Just by telling that you are judging pictures by viewing on a computer screen, i dont want to go further in the debate. You have totally missed the purpose of this debate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 09:00 AM

The topic of this debate is 'How to get the Jill Greenberg effect.

I am simply stating that very expensive camera equipment is not necessary to acheive the JG effect, and I demonstrated this by highlighting the fact that Timeactor has some excellent shots taken with what I assume is a standard slr and which I personally believe are very close to the work of JG.

If you are looking to acheive the JG look, then I think your work is going in the right direction. Prehaps with a little more practice and if Timeactor were to share some of his processing techniques you might get there.

regards,
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longside1 View Post
The topic of this debate is 'How to get the Jill Greenberg effect.

I am simply stating that very expensive camera equipment is not necessary to acheive the JG effect, and I demonstrated this by highlighting the fact that Timeactor has some excellent shots taken with what I assume is a standard slr and which I personally believe are very close to the work of JG.

If you are looking to acheive the JG look, then I think your work is going in the right direction. Prehaps with a little more practice and if Timeactor were to share some of his processing techniques you might get there.

regards,
You havent even seen my pictures, and still you are talking away on my webpreviews. I have in earlyer post talked about the process for making pictures like this, and you still dont get the point. Im a photographer who deliver pictures to magazines and ad-campaigns. The result in print is what matter for me and my clients, not what your totally unqualified spequlations in here says.

I deal with statement like yours every week when i have students and workshops. So im not provoked. But the day you understand that your point of views is different than mine, it will be better. I can not care less for your oppinion, but it takes this debate far away from the purpose.

I am not imitating Jill Greenberg in my pictures. I tried to explain the process behind it. But everytime this happend, a person like you need to justify their purchase of a low end DSLR.

Some times i can see the anger of not having sucsess as a photografer thmes self. Earn good money and do cool assignments shine trough their posts. Some DSLR amateurs dont have what it takes to understand the hard and true words of how things really are.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 09:12 AM

See this, by the way: http://www.tmax100.com/photo/pdf/greenberg.pdf
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
You havent even seen my pictures, and still you are talking away on my webpreviews. I have in earlyer post talked about the process for making pictures like this, and you still dont get the point. Im a photographer who deliver pictures to magazines and ad-campaigns. The result in print is what matter for me and my clients, not what your totally unqualified spequlations in here says.

I deal with statement like yours every week when i have students and workshops. So im not provoked. But the day you understand that your point of views is different than mine, it will be better. I can not care less for your oppinion, but it takes this debate far away from the purpose.

I am not imitating Jill Greenberg in my pictures. I tried to explain the process behind it. But everytime this happend, a person like you need to justify their purchase of a low end DSLR.

Some times i can see the anger of not having sucsess as a photografer thmes self. Earn good money and do cool assignments shine trough their posts. Some DSLR amateurs dont have what it takes to understand the hard and true words of how things really are.
In one of your earlier posts you stated that if your work was printed and put alongside that of JG then the viewer would not be able to tell the difference - seems like imitation to me.

the purpose of this thread is to discuss the Jill Greenberg effect. I do not understand why you have got so worked up simply because i have stated that the work of somebody else looks closer to JG's than yours?

Having regard to your last statement, it would appear that alleged professional photographers like yourself are the ones who cant take the true words of how things are.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
A great link, as I have stated, the JG look is clearly down to the lighting, which is then built upon using not a lot more than simple dodge and burn and prehaps painting on white.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 AM

Go calibrate yor screen little fellow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Go calibrate yor screen little fellow.
Just calibrated my monitor, and I still think the work of Timeactor looks closer to Greenberg than yours.

Don't take it to heart, I'm sure your work does look great in a magazine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeActor View Post
Yes i know the problem with 100kb pictures ;-)
Every printed pic looks much more better!
I´m close to you about hard working and there is no filter or action that gets the effect!
With my pics i spend a lot of time with my wacom intuos 3 A5 and paint the lights and shadows.
i think you and jill flattens the contrast to get a smoother look with a curve or gradient layer in blending mode soft light - is this right?

Here ist my little working:
http://www.fotocommunity.de/pc/pc/mypics/1305255

Regards
Martin
Superb work.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching