RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Skin tone adjustment questions from a newbie

Old 01-25-2008, 08:08 AM

Re: Skin tone adjustment questions from a newbie

They are looking much better…good work.

I look for skin tone that is not a highlight or a shadow… I use the lasso and circle a bit of the tone. I have the lasso set to “Add selection” in the option menu, that way I can make more than one selection. Not large areas just big enough to represent the mid tone of the skin. You use your eye and judgment to pick out the middle tones.

For local contrast I use another curves adjustment but levels or the brightness/contrast adjustment layer can be used.

Often photos are over saturated I believe yours was…so I used a hue/saturation layer to reduce saturation.

Your coming alone nicely … give the different techniques a try… you will soon find one that works for you.

Butch
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2008, 09:18 AM

Re: Skin tone adjustment questions from a newbie

@0lBaldy

Thanks for the detailed explanations! Although I was unable to achieve results similar to your w/ the Master Saturation slider, the 2nd attempt I posted did use a lot of red & yellow channel saturation adjustment. I think the difference may lie on the initial curve/saturation adjustments done to the whole photo.

@Daviskw
Thanks for the encouraging words! As my artistic aptitude neighbors on being negative, I didn't even know which colors are compliment/opposite of which till I read your post. This picture did have a yellow cast on it due to the lighting, the yellow walls, and the subject, so I did try to reduce that a bit w/ a curves adj layer. And thanks for clarifying the selection process.

One more question. It seems that the skin tone I get seems a bit patchy and not as uniform as yours. I did notice that even in the original the skin tones varied quite a bit, prob due to the excessive oil on the skin and lighting. But how can I over come that?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching