RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What's your favorite retouching Forum

Old 06-21-2011, 04:01 PM

Re: What's your favorite retouching Forum

I am same noob just like you. Get some photos to retouch( you can get them even here with right to use for you portfolio) I think it is 4 you need. Then wait for week or so like me and Bingo Did you submited any photos when you applied?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Being a "professional" site is not a reason in itself to deny an application.

My technical Photoshop skills and retouching abilities are plenty good enough to join, so if that was the reason why they denied it I would have preferred to know so I could have made a better application. If they just needed more examples of retouched high-end fashion model pictures, I could have found/done some... The application/denial process felt quite rude :P
Anyway, it was too cumbersome to do the application more than once, and you can still read most of it without member access.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2011, 04:38 PM

A few, but guess not enough. I don't rememer what i sumbitted. Did know anyone would be that strict with a damn internet forum access :P
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2011, 04:42 PM

Make it four. You should get in there too. Good luck.
To benefit to this topic I would mention two sites: retouchpro and modelmayhem at the moment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-21-2011, 06:00 PM

Funny, i know about that MM long long time ago, and just before yesterday i submitted my application with about 9 photos, so i hope they can accept it, i am under Photographer group, not retoucher or MU artist or so, but i also don't like the rejection to keep that website so professional, i saw members with bad or normal pics, and i don't know how those were accepted then.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2011, 10:26 AM

Sometimes it might not be just because of images we submit but we also have to write about our location and about me stuff, sometimes if we don't submit it they don't accept our application.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
A few, but guess not enough. I don't remember what i sumbitted. Did know anyone would be that strict with a damn internet forum access :P
Agreed. I got rejected too, and haven't bothered re-applying, either. I think I know why they rejected my photos but I seldom photograph models anyway so it's no big deal for me. For MM not to provide even a one-liner as to why they reject someone and to tell people to go figure it out themselves is quite a poor showing on their part, I have to agree with you on that point wholeheartedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pari Retouch View Post
Sometimes it might not be just because of images we submit but we also have to write about our location and about me stuff, sometimes if we don't submit it they don't accept our application.
That's good insight, thanks. But it's still very poor of them to require all of that from people yet not show even the most basic professionalism (not to mention courtesy) when not accepting someone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Janitor

Well, in MM's defense, their registration policies are not in place for their retouching forum, which is actually a relatively tiny subforum in a (very) much larger site. Their policies are in place to protect models from the inevitable scary people that I'm sure are hammering on their doors trying to get in. It would be like if someone criticized my site policies because they were interested in the Events subforum here.

Interesting trivia: MM is owned by the same corporation that owns the company that writes the forum software we use here. They're also one of the 1000 most viewed sites in the entire world, possibly because they'd never allow threads such as this one to exist.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2011, 01:10 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
Interesting trivia: MM is owned by the same corporation that owns the company that writes the forum software we use here. They're also one of the 1000 most viewed sites in the entire world, possibly because they'd never allow threads such as this one to exist.
What? You mean allow people to actually criticize Model Mayhem right there on that forum? No way, that would be too much like....like....democracy

There is no defense for how MM treats people who want to register. Just telling them "no" with no feedback saying in their rejection note "you have to figure out why" and then at the same time allowing:
  • people to register who sometimes aren't as good as some people they reject
  • "not safe for work" (and that's being kind at times) images to be viewed freely
  • members of theirs to lever pretty caustic criticism of other members' posts at times
  • ....and I doubt MM would screen in that CIA-like manner of theirs a non-member who wanted to hire a model there....
...does absolutely nothing to protect models from anyone. All that does is treat attempted registrants - most of whom are good, competent people - in an unprofessional and brazenly indifferent manner.

That's the way companies act when they feel they have no competition and have the world by the short and curlies. It's nothing more noble than that from what I can see.

Model Mayhem has become the Facebook of models, photographers and make-up artists. They're the gorilla in that industry and they're taking full, arrogant advantage of that in their application process. If another site were to displace them as the industry gorillas then Model Mayhem would either change their approach or be forced to fold like every other company has that treated people in that manner then lost their leadership position.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 06-23-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2011, 01:11 AM
Patron

...and for the record, RetouchPro is my favorite retouching forum. This place is the bomb But thanks to all here for the pointers to Model Mayhem's retouching forum, it's great too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2011, 03:23 AM

GOOD NEWS: My application has been approved in MM, it didn't took them long time, I applied for first time on 19 June 2011, so it is less than 5 days, WOW, i appreciate that.

I would like to thank all people here to help me out, i submitted one photo that has been retouched here, even it wasn't the best photo but i hope it helped, i don't have many models photos anyway, and some people another site/forum told me to submit whatever i am sure it may accepted, and i chased my best as i can of models pics, and what encouraged me is to see another members with just normal or below average photos, and i am happy for that, now i have to work hard to have more models photos, and hope i will use all my high end equipment with my growing skill for the best results i can get, and here is the best place i can ask for retouch as i really need retouchers to work with.

Thank you very much again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching