RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to: "Christian Schmidt" Look

Old 04-01-2010, 03:28 PM

Re: How to: "Christian Schmidt" Look

I dont understand why no one has asked Mac about that image yet?! It's kinda the holy grail right there... I really like that image I recognise allot of the photos in your website Shaun from the posts here in the very beginning. Inspiring stuff... it seems to me that its all about colours right? Once you have the colours for the image, that's half the battle. The light would obviously have to be right in the beginning, but colours are paramount for this sort of effect.

I used to study music technology and remember learning new techniques to achieve the kind of effects most of us don't understand but still enjoy in our music... Like compression for instance... we can all hear it, but you need to train your ears to understand how to achieve it and recreate that sound (assuming thats what you are going for).

Now from what I understand with photography, it's completely the same process for me when I learn this stuff. I start off with some presets in LR and then one day, decide to play around with actions in PS. Certain things look great and I remember what they were and try to adapt them into my workflow if thats what is needed. With this process, unless you play around and manage to find this effect yourself one day, you will never know how to achieve it without someone showing you the way... it's up to you how to use it in the future but you will only ever know the way, not when it should be used and how much of the effect the image needs. This is kind of personal to you as the artist I suppose.

For this effect, I think it's necessary to ask people like Shaun how he got to that effect, but the answer may not make sense because your brain just aint ever gonna work like that! I used the AIM profile because I thought it was a one click solution until I realised you can use screen blending mode to achieve pretty much the same effect haha. But at no point did I get any better, or turn into Christian Schmidt... I just got a white, bright image... great... now what? See 'he' would have known where he wanted to go with the rest of the processing as an artist and continue pushing and playing around until eventually the effect happened. If he actually turned up on here and posted the entire workflow and put us out of our misery, half of us would still be producing the same-old-stuff-but-whiter because we cannot tell our brains to be someone else... they are hard wired to be an individual I'm afraid.

So Shuan, please put us out of our misery and explain as best you can, but I still think half of us will never get to grips with it because it's not in our nature to 'see' how you do... but it will help allot haha

Woop! longest brain fart ever
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 06:52 PM

Hi James, first of all thank you for the comments, much appreciated. I have actually been out shooting a few new landscapes recently, but mostly on medium format film So I can't post results as quickly as I was able to previously, but I'm really enjoying the process and the look and feel from both Fuji Astia slidefilm, and also Kodak 160VC negatives.

As you have figured out and mentioned above, a lot of the success in these images and using the AIM profile, comes from shooting scenes in the right light, and to me that either means side or slightly back lit scenes.

I don't claim to have mastered this technique, especially nothing close to Mr Schmidt, as he achieves a very consistent look to his images no matter what the subject might be. I really admire his work though and will continue to develop my technique and style and share any info I learn right here.

As it's Easter weekend, I have a trip up the coast planned for this evening, to a spot I have been to previously. It gets perfect directional light in the early evening and the sea is lovely right now as I look out the window. So I'll be happy to share a RAW and a layered Tiff file for others here to work with, but you can't have the piece film

Thanks to others in this thread that have shared information, especially those trying this technique out on architectural images, as that's where I want to take things next. Happy easter to all, and goodluck behind the lens.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2010, 11:37 PM

i have made a few of my recent photos try to have a similar effect to some of shcmidts work, i love the tones in them especially the way the sky turns kinda teal almost green color:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_kenny/4421233132/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_k...87826/sizes/o/
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2010, 10:30 AM

pls help, where i can find the aim rgb profile, its not available anymore in the link:

http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/download/aim_profiles.zip ....

so where can i download this profile.... or pls send it to my email add.

karlomatuguinas@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2010, 11:03 AM

thanks oldbaldy...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 PM

I hope this helps, http://www.filestube.com/08ac35dab88...g/AIM-RGB.html, I found it through google
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2011, 03:08 AM

Hi guys,

I'm not sure whether this thread is still alive but after discovering the work of Scmidt thought that I would have a little play.

Whilst I took my inspiration from his landscape work, I haven't tried to re-create the washed out / white look that some of his images demonstrate so I have stayed clear from the Aim Color Profile.

What I have tried to acheive is a more CGI look to the pictures. I accept that the colour may be a tad over saturated so may correct this later.

Anyway, feedback would be appreciated

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagespike/5623693661/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagespike/5632866606/

Thanks,
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2011, 06:51 AM

OMG, owesome pictures.

you have a tutorial or psd ? thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2011, 09:12 AM

I have a couple questions on this 1st being I set the Adobe rgb 1998 but didnt think before doing this to see what the default profile was set to does anyone know what the default is?
and also why does the workspace image not appear the way it does after I save it don't get me wrong I love the results.

Thanks Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva42 View Post
I have a couple questions on this 1st being I set the Adobe rgb 1998 but didnt think before doing this to see what the default profile was set to does anyone know what the default is?
and also why does the workspace image not appear the way it does after I save it don't get me wrong I love the results.

Thanks Lisa
If working in RAW your default colour profile is set there, and this will apply to your image once opened in PS. To check what your profile is in PS just go to edit, convert profile and it will show you what your converting from (this instructions are from memory as I'm in the office!)

RE: your workspace image, if it appears incorrect when viewing on the web etc then you need to make sure that before uploading you have changed the colour space to srgb as this is what the majority of web browsers use and some applications in windows.

cheers
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching