RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Ethics of Retouching

Old 02-07-2008, 09:14 PM

Re: Ethics of Retouching

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam1212 View Post
I appreciate all of your opinions. I guess I should say that I don't feel that there's anything wrong with retouching. I feel that I am supplying a product to a consumer and nothing more. Photography is a way of capturing whichever reality you want to capture. Retouching is simply taking that another step.

Anyways, keep the opinions coming!
If politically correct dogma is something you feel compelled to worry about, don't do fashion/beauty retouching. Work on dogs. Or landscapes. Cars are safe, and no less complicated (oops, except for those pesky carbon footprints).
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2008, 10:01 PM

Just to clarify again, I don't feel that retouching is unethical. I just thought this topic would spark some interesting discussion. Thanks again for everyone's opinions. Keep 'em coming!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2008, 10:40 PM

Take a look at that famous painting my Leonardo Da Vinci, the Mona Lisa, and tell me that women was painted exactly as she looked: tell me that Da Vinci didn't 'enhance' her appearance. We as people of the human race want to look our best, whether it be for a night out on the town, or whether it be in a photograph with our friends, our physical appearance is important to us, and why shouldn't it be, after all, that is what makes us unique. Retouching a photograph is kind of like renovating your kitchen: you do it so that it looks visually appealing, and so that it serves the purpose that it is desired to serve.

Do I think that retouched photographs can lead to social issues in young girls and boys? Absolutely. There tends to be a lack of understanding that these pictures of women and men in magazines are no longer 'real' because of the amount of retouching that goes into the pictures. Each and every person is beautiful in their own unique way, and I think we as retouching artists need to be willing to promote this fact. If parents were to help their children understand this, then maybe there would be less problems blamed on this art. I don't blame anyone in specific, I blame a lack of understand.

Last edited by Nikolas; 02-09-2008 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2008, 09:10 AM

It doesn't matter who you are, what you look like, boy or girl, what you do, or what your status in life is. You are always going to be compared to someone else, and that so called standard is often going to be unobtainable. That means you have to decide where you are comfortable, what what standards can you set for yourself. Is it something that you can improve? If so, and it's important to you, then you should strive to do so. If not, or it isn't important to you, then don't worry about it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2008, 10:33 AM

If images are sent to you for retouching then the client wants them retouching... If you don't do it, someone else will...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2008, 02:35 PM

Nikolas,

Excellent points. I feel that nicely sums up the real heart of the issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2008, 02:23 AM

My wife think I do not like her face. Yesterday I was cleaning a picture of my and her. I was cleaning spots and smoothing her skin, when she asked my this. In real life she sometimes complaining about the spots and the skin. I see nothing wrong by doing this. It is done in every magazine, movie poster, papers. Why can we not do this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2008, 02:32 AM

Hi Zepplinn

I don't think, by any means, that we can not retouch photographs. But when it is not in a professional environment, where a client has hired you to retouch a photograph, I think that you need to have respect for what the person in the photograph wishes to be done to their image. I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Canada, the person owns the right to their own image, and has the right to deny persons the ability to change their image. Oh, and newspapers wouldn't ever be allowed to alter an image, just like a television news company wouldn't be able to alter an image beyond colour correction. It has to do with ethics of the press.

I would say that if your wife has asked you to not retouch her pictures, respect that. Also, maybe next time you could ask her if she minds you retouching her photographs. Perhaps ask her to sit with you as you retouch them, so that she has a say, and so that she can see the entire process. Who knows, she may like it too, and wish to take up a new hobby.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 AM

Woman use make up and as many things as they can to look beautyful, so is hipocrit to talk about "Ethics of Retouch". We just do wath they arent still able to do with cosmetics.

Quote:
If images are sent to you for retouching then the client wants them retouching... If you don't do it, someone else will...
Hitmans thinks the same way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2008, 12:28 PM

I do it for friends all the time...take off a chin, fix a blemish. I feel it is art work and everyone loves to have a great picture of themselves. anne ps. by me doing this for my daughter, it has taught her how the industry works in the land of models. How a picture is not always as it seems..
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching