RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

An exercise to increase.. brain activity?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:25 PM

An exercise to increase.. brain activity?

The other day I shot a band, got good photos but like always gots a couple shit photos. This is one of them. But it was a moment to catch and so I tried to edit it, foolishly. Half way through, trying too hard, I realized it isn't worth, but then I thought, EVERYONE can learn from this, so...

Ive purposely provided a very flawed, bad, overrated picture in which I want EVERYONE to seek and destroy the flaws in the editing or the actual photo to the smallest detail. To take it a step further try to fix those problems and hopefully in the end we can have a decent photo; in a real situation Id never work this hard on a bad photo, but this just an exercise. This should be fun.

http://flickr.com/photos/21484632@N0...96559/sizes/l/
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Patron

Re: An exercise to increase.. brain activity?

cleaned it up for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cleaned_up-copy.jpg (99.7 KB, 124 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2008, 09:59 AM

That's a sh*t photo? It looks great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2008, 11:45 AM

0lBaldy : How is that cleaning it up? You took out the hyginx, and left only 3 faces? I don't think that was the strength of the photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2008, 12:29 PM

Tried some desaturated effect:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...81/th_band.jpg

Bart
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartjoosen View Post
Tried some desaturated effect:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...81/th_band.jpg

Bart
i think your image is a bit to small
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
That's a sh*t photo? It looks great.
I agree. There have been two or three extensive threads here recently all devoted to attaining pretty much the look you toss off as shit. Dunno, maybe you should write a tute.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Patron

asci,
You are right, It is a fun in the moment photo which only needs a little more work to finish it off in the original version and I am sure the Band members loved it.. Plus it has the LOOK a lot of people are presently trying to attain.. I should have also read between the lines of the leading post (the wording really details the picture):
"shit photos"... "a moment to catch"... "Half way through, trying too hard"... "EVERYONE can learn from this"... "in the end".. "Id never work this hard ".. "just an exercise. This should be fun."

BTW, asci, I see you used an abundance of transparent pixels in your version of how to maintain the strength of the photo while leaving the High-jinks in..

Now to get serious and answer your question.. IMHO.. The "three faces" could more readily be used as a Cover, as opposed to being punked by your fellow band members. It may be fun and in the moment, but I feel it is not really cover material to offer up to the public.. ERGO "cleaned up"
Of course this is only my opinion. Which, in the grand scheme of things means less than nothing as I am sure you can relate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2008, 09:33 PM

hey I understand what youre sayin ol' and it can be agreed that the content is explict for the public yeah.

The reason I said it was a shit photo was because the highlights are blown out on the second guys nose, the lighting on the right guy is soo uneven, along with his face. The left and right guys also have flat faces IMO, and I was asking if anyone else could find small details like that. This was maybe 3 hours of work, rushed it. I told someone in another thread that I ususally do atleast 7 hours a photo and he told me that maybe it takes you so long because youre not professional, regardless, I work that long to find every detail possible, and I think a real photo can't be completed without finding every little deatil. So that was kind of the direction I was heading with this. I don tknow how many of us on this forum want to aspire to retouch as a career, but its a skilled art and just like any other artform, without details its not completed. the SMALLEST details. just my philosophy.

p.s. I promise Ill write a tut soon, or atleast a timelapse of my workflow.

p.s.s. this is the original to understand what I was saying about not liking the photo, if you want anyone can edit it for themselves, just post it so we can check it out.
http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/7182/dsc04468dh2.jpg

Last edited by namphoto; 02-12-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Patron

Namphoto,
I was not dissing your photo.. Although I did think the words you used (if taken out of context) were funny and appropriate for the photo ..
From what I have seen you do excellent photography work and the type of post work you are trying to emulate is difficult to achieve as attested to in the other forums on this site. BUT, you ARE one of the few who has done an excellent job of figuring it out and nailing it in your own way!

Ansel Adams was not the fastest Photographer on the block and his Post production was very painstakingly slow and exact.. good work is all in the details..

It is refreshing to see someone as committed as yourself to getting it right.. Keep up the good work!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching